PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Gin? Noooooooooo, having got drunk as a skunk on this over 50 years ago. Lol parents away, teenage party, havent touched it since, cannot bear the smell even.
    Slimming World at target
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can I join you.....

Now that my son has more or less moved out I will be pretty much cooking for one.

I will go back to the beginning of the thread and learn all your tips and wheezes.

I have already done a kitchen declutter and am currently working my way through the food stash. I am trying to lose weight and eat for health so try to avoid too many starchy carbs. So things like dried pasta, rice, cereals etc will only get used when my kids come to visit.

I was thinking about getting a mini oven for my solo meals and save the big oven for family gatherings. I won't be using it for baking etc.

Anyway DS2 will be her for dinner tonight, not sure what we are having but as it's going to be a scorcher, probably something with a salad.

Although I have loved living with my son and enjoyed cooking for him it will be nice to see the food bill go down.......:D
  • meg72
    Options
    Having been up since 4am and made a start on my declutter I have four carrier bags of books and clothes and five large zigsaws to take to CS.

Had my breakfast ys banana , raspberries out of garden and yogurt and umpteen coffees.

Cant use my bus pass till 9.30 to go to CS so killing time on here. I need to take it as I do it to have space to sort some more.
    Slimming World at target
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Hello, Lesson Learned :):hello:
  • meg72
    Options
    Can I join you.....

Now that my son has more or less moved out I will be pretty much cooking for one.

I will go back to the beginning of the thread and learn all your tips and wheezes.

I have already done a kitchen declutter and am currently working my way through the food stash. I am trying to lose weight and eat for health so try to avoid too many starchy carbs. So things like dried pasta, rice, cereals etc will only get used when my kids come to visit.

I was thinking about getting a mini oven for my solo meals and save the big oven for family gatherings. I won't be using it for baking etc.

Anyway DS2 will be her for dinner tonight, not sure what we are having but as it's going to be a scorcher, probably something with a salad.

Although I have loved living with my son and enjoyed cooking for him it will be nice to see the food bill go down.......:D

Hello and welcome, a mini oven is a great idea for singles. I bought a halogen one and rarely use my big oven these days.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Welcome lessonslearned :hello:

I managed to tip my recycling wheelie bin over when putting it out - what a mess think I've got it all now. It hadn't been out for a few weeks so was pretty full.....:(I
    I need to do something with the diced pork cheek that is now defrosted. I was thinking thai red curry but have a notion for chilli - think it was our chat the other day re kidney beans/baked beans sparked that. Either way it will be for tomorrow as the meat is quite fatty so I want to cook and chill it so I can lift any fat off it, consequently I'm not sure what to have for dinner tonight. I think the chilli may win as I the veg I have lurking in the fridge is probably more suited to that:).
    Breakfast was a re-run of the last few days and lunch will be the same as yesterday- mini pork pies and salad:)
  • meg72
    Options
    Well my trip to CS went well, the lady in there was amazed that I had managed to fit so much in and on my trolley. We had a nice chat and she is going to get one herself. I managed to come out with a spend on 50p on a sun hat for in the garden.

As I had to pass the Taste Not Waste Shop called in to see what they had and got this lovely lot for £2, the bananas, apples and bread were free. The large silver thingy is a bag of 67 orange flavoured hot chocolate, 2 of which are now chilling in the fridge

WP_20170619_11_43_06_Pro.jpg
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    ...lady in there was amazed that I had managed to fit so much in and on my trolley....

Be careful ... they have a weight limit, even though most are quite robust. ..... don't break it and wish you'd been more careful!

It's hot, hot, hot here today, although I've had the curtains closed and several windows open for a through-draught - and now the sun's moved round the side, so it's cooler.

I've scoffed randomly, including:
    - one choc ice
    - a portion of honey/peanut cornflakes
    - 1½ tomato sandwiches
    - an egg/salad cream sandwich.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Loving this 45p loaf compared to the 36p loaf ... I might convert, I can afford an extra 9p a fortnight :)

Careful PN, that is the more expensive pizza & bread found to be tastier than the cheapo stuff, next thing will be M & S + Waitrose :D

Meg72 Hope you are on trolley commison. I think as many on here have found just how handy and enabling [word pinched from PN] they are

Hello & welcome Lessonlearned

It is hot hot hot here, 80 plus in the lounge which is the coolest room, 100 ish in the conservatory with windows & doors open. Wish I was not forbidden booze, a long G & T would go down well, could even chuck one of my borage petals in as part of the 10 a day.

Nil breakfast then into town.

Had a slight mishap with the trolley, it slipped it's tow and went down clunk behind me :o. Empty at the time so no harm done, hitched up and sauntered onwards like I meant to drop it

Asda is still being refurbed, now everything is shuffled around and shelves empty. Found the YS section but waste of space, nothing took my fancy or needed

Lunch was standard cheese salady sarnie again

Waitrose provided tonight's dinner, YS small steak pie. Had them before, OK at reduced price not at full one though

So despite heat I will pop it in the oven and have it with Actify HM chips and the LO beans from the other day. I am going to use the Lild on offer bakers for the chips, slightly MSE 'cos they are 49p Kg, as opposed to Lidl frozen chips at 58p Kg

Gardening is just the watering, and those cherries are now getting to the nearly black stage. I feel a photo coming on in next few days
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 June 2017 at 2:56PM
    Options
    I'm still around. Been caching up on reading and watching anime so haven't posted.

Cooked 6 vegetable koftas on friday. I will be having the last one in a sandwich later with houmous to use up the last of the bread I have for lunch. PicturesNew you will be horrified at how much I spent on the loaf; £3.69 :eek::o as it's vegan and gluten free. However it's soo good that I'll treat myself to this loaf once a fortnight or so as a loaf lasts me a week.
    I have 180g of cooked cut up potatoes that will be turned into potato salad later for dinner.

For now I'm drinking coffee but as I need to be up at 5:30 tomorrow morning I'll have to switch to a tea soon (green or mint probably) or I'll have an even harder time getting to sleep. The heat and the works near us make it hard enough, don't need to add to the problem. It's 28.1C in the flat right now, the chinchillas are not amused and neither am I. It's been 23C+ at night in here. I don't do well with heat, I'm like a human chinchilla, lol.

Edit: as to the heat I have been making ice as we have cube makers as part of the draws to the freezer. Also got some trays going. I can't believe the amount of people buying ice when I'm at work. It's not difficult to think 'oh it's gotten hotter, I should make some ice'. Use a zip lock freezer bag to store the ice and fill the trays etc again. This time of year I'll willingly give up freezer space for ice!
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport