PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat Well for Less...Live on MSE

Options
ani*fan
ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 9 November 2017 at 9:22PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi everyone.

I've been inspired by the chat about this tv programme to finally figure out why I can't get my food budget down. I thought we could do a mini version on here, to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong and so me and OH don't end up like one of those families on the programme (:o). I'll post what I know, and I would appreciate any comments or tips you can offer.

There is me, OH and an aged cat to feed. We spend £250 per month, give or take a quid or two (I know, it's too much) on food, toiletries, cat litter and cleaning products. I've tried various things to bring the bill down but it's always the same.

So this is the situation.

We always shop at As** because it's closest, with the occasional trip to Morr***ns because that's second closest and en route home from work. Are these places expensive?

We take out £250 when we get paid, put it in a jar and spend as we need to, or when we can be bothered to go to a supermarket. We both hate supermarkets. Every month I vow there will be £50 still in the jar by the end of the month. There never is. Do we spend that amount purely because that's the amount of cash we take out??

Litter is bought in bulk from a pet shop and costs about £10 every 2 months. My cat eats 2 pouches of food a day, As** own brand at £2.47 for 10 pouches. He's not too fussy as long as it stinks of fish.

My OH is a cleaning freak and likes own brand cleaning products. I don't know how much of this we buy.

I can't tolerate cow's milk so we buy soya, the expensive one, which seems to be the only one that doesn't curdle in coffee. I also like nice coffee, not always ground (but sometimes), just a brand coffee that I really appreciate. I drink LOTS of coffee.

Toiletries are the cheapest own brand.

So, the food:

We're vegetarian. I buy quorn fillets and pieces and mince when it's on special offer (and often when it's not)

We cook every night.

Most veg we buy is frozen. Is this a good idea? It helps with no waste which is why I do it but maybe it's more expensive?

A typical day

Breakfast - weetabix or a couple of boiled eggs and a veggie sausage for breakfast (OH skips breakfast)

Lunch - Sandwich with peanut butter, jam or cheese for lunch, or leftovers from dinner the night before, and lots of fruit. (Ooh, is that expensive? I like grapes and can eat a whole punnet in one sitting) OH takes cereal and alpro soya yogurt to work for lunch every day, roughly one box and one big tub a week.

Dinner - quorn fillets, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots, gravy (brand one, granules)
Fajitas, wraps, quorn pieces, yogurt, frozen peppers, onions, cheese (We skip the trimmings like guacamole, salsa, too expensive.)
Chilli or spag bol with quorn mince, kidney beans, tins of toms, pasta or rice
Stir fry with noodles, quorn pieces, packet sauce (satay or black bean, own brand) and veg

Sometimes we get a frozen pizza and some garlic bread, not every week.

We like biscuits and buy a packet every week or two. These are sometimes branded.

We like Doritos and sometimes get a large packet every week or two. Sometimes a dip too.

We have loads of spices and condiments, and replace them as we go.

Eating out comes from a separate budget. We don't have people over to eat very often, our flat is small, but when we do we always cook from scratch.

On the surface it looks ok to me. There is nothing obvious like ready meals I can cut out. I just don't get it. I must be missing something but I just can't see it. It's also hard to keep exact track of because either me or OH grab a twenty from the food jar and say we'll pick up some food while we're out, which is how we do it and how we want to keep doing it (until kids come along) so we don't have to spend too much time in supermarkets. The change always goes back in the jar, I'm just not always sure what we spend it all on. The thought of a big weekly or monthly shop really fills me with dread and our local supermarkets are not good at bringing what you ordered when you shop online, I usually still have to go in anyway, so we stopped doing that. Meal planning happens together on a Sunday night. Should I start keeping all our receipts?

This is all driving me a little nuts so if you have any thoughts, if you think i'm playing down something that really costs too much, if there's an area I'm missing, please do say.

My hopes for this thread are that I get some good ideas, rethink some of the spending and then you helpful people can walk me through next month as we go. Payday is Wednesday which is when the cash will be taken out, ready to go.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this! :A

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi near enough to warrant changing this to your main supermarket? You'll find it chops a massive amount off your shoppng bill.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I've been inspired by the chat about this tv programme to finally figure out why I can't get my food budget down. I thought we could do a mini version on here, to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong and so me and OH don't end up like one of those families on the programme (:o). I'll post what I know, and I would appreciate any comments or tips you can offer.

There is me, OH and an aged cat to feed. We spend £250 per month, give or take a quid or two (I know, it's too much) on food, toiletries, cat litter and cleaning products. I've tried various things to bring the bill down but it's always the same.

So this is the situation.

We always shop at As** because it's closest, with the occasional trip to Morr***ns because that's second closest and en route home from work. Are these places expensive?

We take out £250 when we get paid, put it in a jar and spend as we need to, or when we can be bothered to go to a supermarket. We both hate supermarkets. Every month I vow there will be £50 still in the jar by the end of the month. There never is. Do we spend that amount purely because that's the amount of cash we take out??

Litter is bought in bulk from a pet shop and costs about £10 every 2 months. My cat eats 2 pouches of food a day, As** own brand at £2.47 for 10 pouches. He's not too fussy as long as it stinks of fish.

My OH is a cleaning freak and likes own brand cleaning products. I don't know how much of this we buy.

I can't tolerate cow's milk so we buy soya, the expensive one, which seems to be the only one that doesn't curdle in coffee. I also like nice coffee, not always ground (but sometimes), just a brand coffee that I really appreciate. I drink LOTS of coffee.

Toiletries are the cheapest own brand.

So, the food:

We're vegetarian. I buy quorn fillets and pieces and mince when it's on special offer (and often when it's not)

We cook every night.

Most veg we buy is frozen. Is this a good idea? It helps with no waste which is why I do it but maybe it's more expensive?

A typical day

Breakfast - weetabix or a couple of boiled eggs and a veggie sausage for breakfast (OH skips breakfast)

Lunch - Sandwich with peanut butter, jam or cheese for lunch, or leftovers from dinner the night before, and lots of fruit. (Ooh, is that expensive? I like grapes and can eat a whole punnet in one sitting) OH takes cereal and alpro soya yogurt to work for lunch every day, roughly one box and one big tub a week.

Dinner - quorn fillets, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots, gravy (brand one, granules)
    Fajitas, wraps, quorn pieces, yogurt, frozen peppers, onions, cheese (We skip the trimmings like guacamole, salsa, too expensive.)
    Chilli or spag bol with quorn mince, kidney beans, tins of toms, pasta or rice
    Stir fry with noodles, quorn pieces, packet sauce (satay or black bean, own brand) and veg

Sometimes we get a frozen pizza and some garlic bread, not every week.

We like biscuits and buy a packet every week or two. These are sometimes branded.

We like Doritos and sometimes get a large packet every week or two. Sometimes a dip too.

We have loads of spices and condiments, and replace them as we go.

Eating out comes from a separate budget. We don't have people over to eat very often, our flat is small, but when we do we always cook from scratch.

On the surface it looks ok to me. There is nothing obvious like ready meals I can cut out. I just don't get it. I must be missing something but I just can't see it. It's also hard to keep exact track of because either me or OH grab a twenty from the food jar and say we'll pick up some food while we're out, which is how we do it and how we want to keep doing it (until kids come along) so we don't have to spend too much time in supermarkets. The change always goes back in the jar, I'm just not always sure what we spend it all on. The thought of a big weekly or monthly shop really fills me with dread and our local supermarkets are not good at bringing what you ordered when you shop online, I usually still have to go in anyway, so we stopped doing that. Meal planning happens together on a Sunday night. Should I start keeping all our receipts?

This is all driving me a little nuts so if you have any thoughts, if you think i'm playing down something that really costs too much, if there's an area I'm missing, please do say.

My hopes for this thread are that I get some good ideas, rethink some of the spending and then you helpful people can walk me through next month as we go. Payday is Wednesday which is when the cash will be taken out, ready to go.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this! :A

Try keeping a spending diary for a few weeks, everything you spend out of the food budget goes in the diary, this way you will see exactly what you are spending your budget on.
    Stick to a shopping list, avoid impulse buying.
    I don't know if you use quorn mince or equivalent? I'm not vegetarian and I bulk mince meat out with dry porridge oats or chick peas/lentils or similar and load of veg, mushrooms.
    Cook in bulk and freeze the extra portions you make for further meals that just need reheating.
    Make your own biscuits. I love making biscuits and a single batch (large batch) makes over 50 biscuits-more if I make them smaller.
    There are loads of recipes on MSE
    Hope this helps.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • C_J
    Options
    Re Aldi: I have two cats who are very very fussy madams but they LOVE Aldi's own brand (Vitacat) cat biscuits (and now prefer them to Go Cat or similar branded ones) which only cost about £1 for a 1kg box and also prefer Aldi's value range of cat food sachets which are only £1.75 for 12.

The Aldi Super 6 fruit and veg offers (each lasting a fortnight) are brilliant, often only 29p or 49p an item and menu planning around that will help cut your costs.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We buy frozen veg more often than not-to avoid waste.
    We give our cats wet and dry food, it makes it a bit cheaper. Cats like to graze on dry food, so we always have some dry food in a bowl.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    Do you have an Aldi near enough to warrant changing this to your main supermarket? You'll find it chops a massive amount off your shoppng bill.

I just googled Aldi and am embarrassed to say there is one just at the other side of the retail park where we already go. :o

Is frozen or fresh veg cheaper, or does it not matter?

Thanks for this. :A
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    Try keeping a spending diary for a few weeks, everything you spend out of the food budget goes in the diary, this way you will see exactly what you are spending your budget on.
    Stick to a shopping list, avoid impulse buying.

Yes I think I need to. I'll put everything in a little book next month to see exactly what's what.

I don't know if you use quorn mince or equivalent? I'm not vegetarian and I bulk mince meat out with dry porridge oats or chick peas/lentils or similar and load of veg, mushrooms.

I use quorn mince but it's not particularly cheap. I think bulking it out with oats would help a lot. I'll give this a go.

Cook in bulk and freeze the extra portions you make for further meals that just need reheating.

And it'll save us cooking on the nights we can't be bothered!

Make your own biscuits. I love making biscuits and a single batch (large batch) makes over 50 biscuits-more if I make them smaller.
    There are loads of recipes on MSE
    Hope this helps.

Wow, I used to be great at this when I was a kid. I did a mean hobnob- style biccie. Wonder if I can find a similar recipe?

Thank you so much for all of that. :A
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    Re Aldi: I have two cats who are very very fussy madams but they LOVE Aldi's own brand (Vitacat) cat biscuits (and now prefer them to Go Cat or similar branded ones) which only cost about £1 for a 1kg box and also prefer Aldi's value range of cat food sachets which are only £1.75 for 12.

The Aldi Super 6 fruit and veg offers (each lasting a fortnight) are brilliant, often only 29p or 49p an item and menu planning around that will help cut your costs.

£1.75 for 12 is cheaper than anything I've ever heard of. I will definitely try him with this. And the veg for us.
    tattycath wrote: »
    We buy frozen veg more often than not-to avoid waste.
    We give our cats wet and dry food, it makes it a bit cheaper. Cats like to graze on dry food, so we always have some dry food in a bowl.

If I'm batch cooking and freezing, then I don't need so much frozen veg, but I might get some for back- up :)

And about the boy cat, he is an old man now with teeth problems. He doesn't chew so well, had a couple of teeth out lately and is losing weight again so I increased his pouches from 1.5 to 2 since he's not eating biscuit any more. I know, dry food is cheaper. I'll keep an eye on him and see how he manages with what.

Thank you lovely people. :A
  • Margaret_
    Options
    Keeping receipts is a good idea- as it is you know how much you are spending (which is a good start) but not what you're spending it on. Avoiding branded items is probably the quickest and easiest way to save so I'd start there.

I'm also a vegetarian and you seem to use a lot more quorn than I do (just going on the meals you've mentioned) I know it's good for protein but it's not cheap and I'm wondering if a couple of quorn-free days a week might cut some money off your food bill.

Good luck!
    Oct GC £19.65/£45
    OS Weight Loss 4lbs/12lbs
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's a recipe on the forum for hobnobs. Do a search for Twinks hobnobs
  • C_J
    Options
    When I had an elderly cat, I used to pre-soak some of the cat biscuits with a little warm water for her. They still stayed fresh enough to graze on all day without going off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure