How to lose weight - it's simple

For anyone wanting to lose weight this the answer and it's very simple.

Eat less - exercise a bit.

And that's it. If you really do want to lose weight just do it!

Diets do not work, that is why there are so many.

Eating less is just as easy, if not easier than following some fad or diet of the moment.

Good luck fj

Comments

• There are all sorts of fitness trackers, but a simple pedometer that is accurate enough to make you blush is all you need to start with.

By all means go further upmarket if you wish, but don't duplicate what your phone may already be doing for you - just pay attention to that data.
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Are we celebrating state the obvious day and I missed it?
  • It's actually not that simple though is it? If it was, no one would be overweight.

The Calorie Myth is a good book to read.
  • It is simple, just eat less exercise more, diets don't work that's why there are so many of them!

We all stated out at about 5lbs to 10lbs weight.

We all ate food, so one day many years later you climb on the scales and it reads 20 stone. What happened? It didn't suddenly creep up over a couple of days now did it?

Anyone who I has an unhealthy weight has only themselves to blame surely!

So wake up and stop eating so much, it's really is thst simple.

Top tip to help, use smaller dinner plates.

Good luck fj
  • It is simple, just eat less exercise more, diets don't work that's why there are so many of them!

We all ate food, so one day many years later you climb on the scales and it reads 20 stone. What happened? It didn't suddenly creep up over a couple of days now did it?

Good luck fj

Not at all. I am about 4 stone overweight. I was slim most of my life, up until a few years ago where I put weight on. I can't exercise as I have chronic illness.

I have tried calorie counting and it is just another form of dieting, or restriction. And it leads to binge eating behaviour. Even when I was able to calorie count and exercise, I still didn't lose weight. So no, I am not to blame. It really is not that simple.
  • OP is not wrong. It is just to do with energy out exceeding energy in. Most people fail because they don't stick to things then binge. They also underestimate the amount of calories in food. Although exercise helps diet is the main reason why weight is put on.

The other thing to remember is that you won't always see progress right away especially if you are new to exercising. Your body will take on more water and also may grow more muscle. The scale is the worst measure. A much better measure is body fat calipers (not those crappy electronic things)
  • OP is not wrong. It is just to do with energy out exceeding energy in. Most people fail because they don't stick to things then binge. They also underestimate the amount of calories in food. Although exercise helps diet is the main reason why weight is put on.

The other thing to remember is that you won't always see progress right away especially if you are new to exercising. Your body will take on more water and also may grow more muscle. The scale is the worst measure. A much better measure is body fat calipers (not those crappy electronic things)

We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't believe it is as simple as calories in v calories out. I used to exercise quite a lot. I also don't agree that it is people that 'fail', it is the 'diet'..as soon as you monitor any kind of calorie, carbs, fat, etc etc, you are restricting, therefore, 'dieting'. Bingeing is usually a natural, biological reaction to some kind of restriction. Our bodies were designed to tell us exactly what we need. That's why we get hungry. That only starts to go tots up whe we start calorie counting.

Good luck fj

Well when you come up with a cure for my failing sight AND my spinal stenosis and associated nerve damage, please do tell me how to drop the weight considering I am barely able to walk most days around the house, let alone "exercise more".

In fact, if I ever met you I would quite happily show you how difficult it is. And I don't blame myself for a guy high on drugs crashing into my car 13 years ago which led to the spinal issues, nor the glaucoma (with no family history) which could not have been predicted nor prevented.

Come see how the real people live.
  • DomRavioli wrote: »
    Well when you come up with a cure for my failing sight AND my spinal stenosis and associated nerve damage, please do tell me how to drop the weight considering I am barely able to walk most days around the house, let alone "exercise more".

In fact, if I ever met you I would quite happily show you how difficult it is. And I don't blame myself for a guy high on drugs crashing into my car 13 years ago which led to the spinal issues, nor the glaucoma (with no family history) which could not have been predicted nor prevented.

Come see how the real people live.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I have ME/CFS/Fibro. Admittedly have had eating issues, but with hindsight can hand on heart say these were caused by calorie counting.

I too, struggle to walk any distance and have to spend most of my life laid down now and even that is painful. I cannot take strong meds because of side effects..so I am hoping for a miracle at thr pain clinic I attend soon.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's actually not that simple though is it? If it was, no one would be overweight.
    The facts are very simple, going about applying it is what most find everything but simple.

I do a lot of high intensity exercise 3 to 5 times a week, train for competitions 2 or 3 times a year, and I can confirm that I have never lost weight through exercising alone (and no, not a case of muscle replacing fat!).

I have found without a doubt that losing weight in my 40s especially now towards the second half is much much harder than it was in my 20s, however, as I've discovered recently, it will still happen, I just have to cut out even more and be patient as it takes quite a few weeks before I start to feel the difference. I also find that the more I eat, the more my body seemed to be tricked into thinking it is hungry.

My view is that anyone should be able to eat a bit of everything, but that what is killing us is our portion sizes. We just have way too much in our plates and we snack on little things too often. Over eating is nothing but a bad habit to break.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure