IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN from LJL AIRPORT by VCS

Comments

• Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I was thinking Ninja :shhh:

Ralph:cool:
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Even the House of Lords are asking questions about the Bylaws!
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2015-02-23.HL5109.h
  • 1stimer
    1stimer Posts: 18 Forumite
    I was thinking of going this week Ralph-y as it was dark at 8pm+ as that was when the driver went to pick up the RK...to get the right lighting Tec... but if you are indeed just 20m away....could you.
  • 1stimer
    1stimer Posts: 18 Forumite
    Can I just say what great forum and bunch of people you are. Brilliant thank you so very much. I am fuming now. Will post as it all developed. Thanks again.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I only live up the road I will get pictures later today, without stopping of course.
    Mind you VCS have the same signs on Dunlop road which is a public highway.
    I have the signs already pre IPC, but will get the current ones later.
  • Parking-Prankster
    Parking-Prankster Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2015 at 9:53AM
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    I only live up the road I will get pictures later today, without stopping of course.
    Mind you VCS have the same signs on Dunlop road which is a public highway.
    I have the signs already pre IPC, but will get the current ones later.

Many thanks. I am especially interested in the size of the fonts. The ones stating the charge is £50 especially, but all of them if possible.

From these, I can work out how close a driver with legal eyesight must be before they are legally expected to be able to read the signs.

I presume the site is 30mph (if not, please also let me know the speed limit). From that, I can work out how long the driver has to read the sign. I suspect...not long enough.

If you have someone with you and can safely get video of driving past the sign at the speed limit that would be awesome too.

If I was to really push the boat out, the width of the sign, the distance from the edge of the carriageway and (if this is possible to get safely) the approximate width of the carriageway are also very useful. If you cant safely get these, then photos showing them would also be useful (eg, if the width of the sigh is known then other details can be approximately calculated.

From calculations at other airports, by the time the driver is close enough to read the sign, it is no longer safe (according to the DfT) to read it. I have a blog ready to explain all this, so just waiting for the evidence!

This is from the DfT signage manual:

"C" is the distance from the sign where a driver is expected to stop reading the sign - i.e the point where a driver would turn his/her head through 10° or more.

C = S x cotangent 10° = S x 5.7

"S" is the off-set distance from the centre of the driving lane to the centre of the sign.

So for instance, if S, the distance from the centre of the lane to the centre of the sign is 3.5m, C would be 3.5 x 5.7 = 20 metres

The eyesight test require this:
    You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

Numberplate letters are 8cm high.

So for instance, in the above example where S=3.5 metres, the sign is only readable from 20m away. After that, the driver has to turn their head too much to be safe. At 20m, the font must be at least as big as a numberplate, or 8cm, to be readable by a driver with legal eyesight.

...I think you can all see where I am going with this!
    Hi, we’ve approved your signature. It's awesome. Please email the forum team if you want more praise - MSE ForumTeam
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2015 at 11:25AM
    Signs as of this morning. Looks like someone has removed some and attempted to remove others.

[IMG][/img]1q318k.jpg

[IMG][/img]mn16d3.jpg

[IMG][/img]swsqpu.jpg

[IMG][/img]wjt9cl.jpg

If you need the actual font measuring let me know.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    So it's a No Stopping sign, yet they'll issue a Parking charge notice?
  • Yes please for font sizes - vitally important.

However, in other news I struggle to see how VCS argue a contract is in place if their name is not on most of the sifgns - it was only on one.

I'll hazard a guess that the font announcing the charge has a lowercase letter size of 1cm, and an uppercase size of 2cm. This would mean a driver of legal eyesight is expected to be able to read the lowercase letters from 2-3 meters away, but no further.

Did you see any speed limits? is it 30mph or 70? I see it is dual carriageway.

70mph is 31 metres per second, so a driver would get a generous 1/10 second at most to read the sign.

At 30mph they get a leisurely 1/4 of a second to read the sign.
    Hi, we’ve approved your signature. It's awesome. Please email the forum team if you want more praise - MSE ForumTeam
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2015 at 12:12PM
    The entire length of Speke Hall Rd is 40 MPH

Ralph:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income