Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 February 2017 at 11:35AM
    Goood morning lovely ladies.

Ruby......I just want to put my arms round you and give you a big "Mummy hug". YOu are doing a sterling job with your twin boys, without any real help or support. Have you no family members, grannies, aunties at all. It can be very hard when they are babies.

Like you I had no real support network because we had moved away, so I had no mum, sister, aunties etc nearby. My husband worked away a lot and I struggled at times. There was an Age gap of 22 months with my boys and I found that hard enough, especially as DS1 had asthma and was often poorly. I honestly don't know how I would have managed with twins.

I do sometimes think though that actually, you have three baby boys to deal with, not two............:o

Perhaps your partner is just someone who cannot relate to babies, and he might find it easier when the boys are a little older and he can do "man stuff" with them and play "rough and tumble dad games".
    Some men are just not very good with babies but then come into their own as the children grow into "little people".

I think the other thing is some men may not realise just how much time and effort it takes to look after babies. Some men do get a bit jealous and feel left out. Then, like your partner, they use any small setback as an excuse to storm off in a huff.....

Parenthood doesn't always come easily. It can be a huge adjustment, especially if you havent any real experience of young children. In the days of large families people were often surrounded by babies, toddlers and children and therefore when they had their own it wasn't such a life changer. But, with smaller families, many new parents have zero experience of being around babies and it comes as a huge shock.

Your partner may eventually relax and "grow into the role".

Would he consider going to couple counselling ..........it might help him explore some of the issues and help him settle down into fatherhood.

The sad fact though is that not everyone is cut out to be a parent and unfortunately they dont find out until it's too late. As you point out being a parent requires endless patience (and stamina). Patience doesn't come naturally to everyone but it can be learned. Perhaps parenting classes would help.......(although I'm guessing he would have to be dragged kicking and screaming).

You are a natural mother who has a real understanding and affinity with her children. LIke Sugarbaby (and myself) you just took to parenthood like a duck to water, but some people don't find it quite so easy and it takes them a bit longer to adapt and learn.

I had a very interesting conversation wIth my sister the other day. She confessed that it took her several months to really bond with her daughter.

Difficulty in bonding with your child is just not something that is talked about much because people feel too embarrassed or ashamed. However, not every new mum experiences that immediate intense rush of "mother love". With some it comes more slowly. So really we shouldn't be surprised if sometimes it takes even longer with new fathers.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 February 2017 at 11:37AM
    Sugarbaby on the tele. :T::T:T

How exciting. I will have to put that in my diary. :D

And well done on the work thing......hope things continue to improve for you. It cant have been easy but you did right to stand up for yourself. Not always an easy thing to do so good for you.

Foster dog. Hello :wave: and welcome back.

Well done on the weight loss. And yes time now to find your signature style to go with the new you. I agree maybe try a personal shopper. And definitely try charity shops so you can experiment a bit without breaking the bank.

Well not much news here. Glad to say I am sleeping more and I'm starting to feel much better. I still feel very tired at times but I just go with the flow and have a nap if I need one. I am even managing to walk a bit more too.

Slow but sure wins the race.......;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good to see you posting fosterdog and well done for keeping up so much of your fabbing routine. You've got loads of time before a summer wedding to lose even more weight. I'd suggest Google could be your friend in getting the right 50s look. Try looking at 50s style wedding guest outfits in Images for starters. There's a particular company that does the 50s style shoes which I can't remember the name of at the moment but even if you don't want to go 'whole hog' then it'll give you a rough idea of what suits.

I'll definitely set up The Chase to record sugarbaby. Well done you! That's very brave. :T

I can see why you know you'll need swimwear etc now DD. Hopefully your illness will have the desired effect;) but you'll be feeling 100% before you go.

ruby, you really must go on your night out on Friday. You'll probably still worry about the boys (perfectly normal as it's the first time you've left them) but IMO you have to start somewhere and if not this week then do you really think it'll be easier when another occasion comes along?

I'm not a natural mother. I'm not one to fuss and coo over babies and I absolutely hated everything to do with pregnancy. It's not that I don't love my DD she's an important part of my life but she's only part of my life. There's still room for my DH, my job, my family, my friends, my hobbies and ME! I can't speak for having twins but when DD was a baby I 'managed' the situation through routines. Yes, I enjoyed looking after her but I also had work to do, a home to run and I wanted to still have a bit of a social life. I was fortunate in that I had my mother close to hand for childcare when needed in the early days but later I joined a baby sitting circle (do they still exist?) and I fitted in all I could during naps. My DD was born on 20th December. On 26th I went to a wedding and NYE I went to a dance. I'm not telling you this to be smug but to try and convince you not to feel guilty. I think you deserve a life beyond your boys.:A

Off for a facial this afternoon. Back soon.:)
  • Disflop
    Disflop Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello, it's been a few weeks since I've posted, and I've not even had chance to catch up on the thread, but just wanted to pop in and say I am still trying to fab as much as possible.
    I am doing a 3 mile walk minimum everyday and sticking to a healthy diet - so far I have lost 7lbs and more importantly I feel tons better already. A good way to go yet, but I keep reminding myself that if I don't do it for me no one else will!
    I'm mixing and matching different outfits to try out different looks and most days I'm putting on the make up and perfume - even if only the dog is going to see me!!
    Hope to read back later this week to see what everyone's up to.
  • Pinkpetal
    Pinkpetal Posts: 257 Forumite
    LoLo wrote: »
    Pink petal on the back of your post I have also joined meet up and am in the process of trying to find a group near me. Maybe we can virtually support each other with this.

I am having a bit of a rubbish time with my relationship at the moment and it has made me realise that I would have nobody if we split up and that it really sad that I don't have a single friend who I think I could call on if I needed someone. I have a few old friends who I maybe see once a year and those who always want to meet but never get round to it.

The down side is that I'm having a real confidence crisis and I feel fat and ugly and this is also causing the issues in my relationship, well that and my OH has changed recently and makes me suspicious, going out more, taking more care of himself and keeping his phone close to him. He says there isn't anyone else but he's not going to admit it if there is really.

Anyway I am trying to make more of an effort with myself and wear make up most days now and perfume every day. My downfall is clothing and I end up in jeans every day so need to change this.

Lessons learnedi like the idea of a year to change your life and think I might try to adopt this myself. I feel like I am in a rut at the moment, I need to lose some weight, I'm not happy in my job but don't know what else I would like to do and as stated above my relationship is possibly at the end of the road. I want this to be a more positive year for me and to come out of the other end in a good place whether that be single or still in my relationship.
    Hello LoLo, I think that's a great idea, we can definitely support each other. The lovely ladies on here have helped me immensely already. Your confidence will grow believe in yourself, very hard to do I know when your feeling so low. Can you spend an afternoon in town trying on different outfits ? Stylefruits put great high street outfits together online maybe it will give you some ideas. I really hope you work things out with your partner.
    Phone your old friends and pin them down for a night out or even coffee, just pick up the phone, what have you got to lose ?
  • Pinkpetal
    Pinkpetal Posts: 257 Forumite
    Hello everyone, Ive had the worst cold imaginable its the first one in 20 years and really knocked me for six. I have been feeling pretty lousy for a while so I must be in need of a tonic to boost my immune system. Must increase my 5 a day.
    In response to mascara recommendations I can highly voucher for L'Or!al Paris Voluminous X5, I'm a complete make up junkie and this beats any other hands down.
    Hugs to those that need them.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fosterdog, I second the recommendations for Debenhams. The service is free and there's no pressure to buy anything. I like using Pinterest to create "look books" of things that I like. Eventually I want to get my colours done and go to a stylist etc but for now I make do with looking in the mirror. Don't forget that most of the time you can take something back if you decide it's not right when you get it home. I try to only buy things I love, but still make the odd mistake.

Rubyslippers77 you must go out and try to enjoy yourself. What are you going out to do? For example if it was a meal plus drinks, you could just stay for the meal part if you still felt guilty whilst you were out. The boys will be fine, it's your OH who's in for a rough night of it if anything I'm sure :)

sugarbaby125 that's exciting! I'll be in Dubai but might be able to watch on catchup after.

LL sleep is wonderful medicine! Make the most of it :)

Disflop a daily 3+ mile walk is excellent! Are you going on your own, with a dog or friends etc?

PinkPetal I'm sorry you're under the weather too. I hope you're feeling better soon!

I am fed up of being ill now. Last night was awful; every time I moved I felt the need to cough because my throat is so irritated.

Despite feeling rotten I've been working on my fabbing. I took teeth cleaning and perfume off my daily list as those are routine. I want to put eyebrow powder on because that's usually all the makeup I need, but I don't think I'll add anything else until I'm feeling better.

I'm struggling with the skincare; I feel really dehydrated due to being ill and my skin is showing it. Right now I don't have the energy to put in a set of eye drops, lip balm, vaseline, serum and protectant all before bed. I've been putting on a Simple moisturiser thinking that OK it's not enough but it's better than nothing.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2017 at 10:28AM
    Hello Ladies,

Ruby, please make sure that you go on your night out on Friday. You deserve and need some fun 'me' time. Will you not be putting your boy's to sleep before you leave for your night out? I thought they would be fast asleep, so in reality your husband would not have to do anything for them before you returned home.

I was appalled when I got to work yesterday, as there was copious amounts of mud absolutely everywhere in every area of the floor that I clean and throughout the whole building. I simply ran out of time, as the mud was so hard to get off the flooring and was dried and smeared into the carpets. There was also clumps of mud everywhere. I would have been happy to go into work earlier to ensure I got it all complete, but in my grievance the General Manager of the company who 'heard' my grievance made it clear that I could not come into work early for any reason. The general manager sent me a text this morning basically tearing a strip off me and saying that after my grievance, I had not 'listened or worked as asked'. As our line manager is on leave at the moment, the general manager is the point of contact. I sent a text to the General Manager when I left work and to my supervisor and I outlined all of the areas that I had been able to clean and all of the areas where I had not been able to clean, as I had simply run out of time. Both thanked me for the update and there was no negativity in their replies. My supervisor pointed out that none of the other cleaners had been able to complete their work either. I certainly do not like the tone of the general manager's text. I informed her that I was not happy at how inadequately 'my floor' had been cleaned while I was absent and I would follow my text with an email.

When I get to work today, I am going to take photos of all the areas on my floor that had not been cleaned. I am going to come out fighting and vigorously defend myself with the relevant evidence. The general manager has already forgotten that I was not in the wrong, my supervisor and the other cleaners were.

I had a lovely evening out at Karaoke last night. I was feeling tired, but I still went. Somehow, I was so busy yesterday, I forgot to eat lunch and I never eat my dinner before I go to Karaoke. I usually dance too much to do so on a stomach full of food. I felt a bit light headed at one point, but I was drinking water and that helped. I ate a meal when I got home, as I was so hungry. I wore perfume and layered it with the matching body powder and body lotion. i wore black mascara, brown shimmer eye shadow, clear lip gloss and clear nail polish.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for the mascara recommendation pinkpetal. I'll take a look at that.

Good to know you're keeping up with the fabbing disflop and good to see you back. I really need to look at outfits too. One thing I've noticed about my new dance group is that many women (the more fab looking ones IMO) wear dresses rather than skirts. So I'm going to plan to wear a few dresses for the next few weeks. This venue is also considerably warmer than the usual one so I'm finding jumpers too hot after a few dances.

You're wise to make a note of everything sugarbaby. Sounds like you need to watch your back as the General Manager isn't happy that you showed up bad practice.

So sorry to hear you're still feeling rough DD. I was lucky that I had one of those colds that came and went very quickly.

My facial yesterday was amazing. I had a deep cleansing one with steam as I'm unhappy about blocked pores in the T zone. What I like about this salon is that they give you a full hour's attention. When the mask was on she did an arm and hand massage ( or option of foot massage) rather than disappear for 10 minutes or more. Most of all it was so relaxing I loved it. I'll go again in a month or so but meantime I'm going to do a regular exfoliating scrub after my shower to try and help things along.

I'm seeing a friend this afternoon. We were going to go out for coffee but she's not been well so I'm visiting her at home. I'm going to wear my new aubergine long line jumper with jeans or maybe even leggings and ankle boots. Does anyone wear jeggings? I could do with something softer than jeans but thicker than leggings.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 9 February 2017 at 2:51PM
    Maman I have a couple of pairs of jeggings from M&S, they are very like skinny jeans but with a bit more give ;) I also have a few pairs of their treggings, which are like heavy-duty leggings, but the most recent navy pair from the latest sale had a Spanx-like lining panel, which got cut out the other day as they weren't comfy!

My new job is very casual (jeans / leggings & tunic / long jumpers with boots) so I've put all my more formal office wear away for now. I'm trying to keep a work & home wardrobe still, as I like to define my days off by clothing IYKWIM! I have had to buy a couple of things, but am mainly re-classifying the former weekend stuff :)

Am currently selling some of my more formal / high heels on fleabay, I have more than enough pairs in a good range of colours should I need them, so I don't need the ones I don't wear. I do have way more knee boots than I need, 60% of which get regularly worn, but am reluctant to sell the less often seen ones as I know I will miss them if I do :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills