Problem with TSB contactless?

I have only had the above card for about 6-8 months. The contactless feature started working intermittently and eventually failed. I requested a new card which arrived yesterday. I tried to use it today but again it failed. I will test it in another place first before contacting TSB again. I really wish that it was possible to talk to a real person instead of getting automated responses. Fortunately it isn't my main bank account so I have alternative cards.

Has anyone else had the same problem please?

Comments

• noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    katejo wrote: »
    I have only had the above card for about 6-8 months. The contactless feature started working intermittently and eventually failed. I requested a new card which arrived yesterday. I tried to use it today but again it failed. I will test it in another place first before contacting TSB again. I really wish that it was possible to talk to a real person instead of getting automated responses. Fortunately it isn't my main bank account so I have alternative cards.

Has anyone else had the same problem please?

Have you tried using the new card using the PIN? I only use mine in order to get the 5% cash back but intermittently you will need to use the PIN.

When I first got mine it didn't work on contactless until I had used it with the PIN first.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • rogue999
    rogue999 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Same here, first use of new card asks for pin. Hopefully it will be OK next time you try it.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    katejo wrote: »
    I have only had the above card for about 6-8 months. The contactless feature started working intermittently and eventually failed. I requested a new card which arrived yesterday. I tried to use it today but again it failed.

How exactly does it fail? Does it ask for a PIN? Does the reader not detect the card? Do you keep your card next to anything strong magnetic? Do you have other cards that do work contactless, and are these kept with your TSB card?

I don't have a problem paying contactless with my two TSB cards - - - but then, I have been using them on Apple Pay only ever since TSB did support it.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,537 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, had quite a few problems with the first card, often wanted the PIN but that went thro as a contactless purchase as that is how I had started the transaction.
    Replacement card seems is very much better, only once asked for PIN but I would expect that after several contactless transactions. I do also think that a couple of retailers have tweaked their systems- now no probs with Co-op or Aldi and I had a fair few before! (Or maybe it was a combination of my dodgy card and their dodgy reader!!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    My TSB card asks for the pin fairly regularly. The first time that it happened I assumed that the card was faulty as none of my other cards have ever requested the PIN for contactless. It took me about a fortnight before I cottoned on.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You need to use it with the pin first - same with any card.

And then normally after every £50 or so of contactless I seem to have to do a pin transaction. Sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Its a bit random - but I get my £5 a month or close to eventually.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've only had mine a few months, I tried it on the M6 toll & nothing happened. I haven't been anywhere that uses contactless since, I don't think I'll be making a lot of cash back.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • EssexExile wrote: »
    . I haven't been anywhere that uses contactless since,

It's in Boots, the Post Office, Lidl, W H Smith, M&S, Co-op, Waitrose, Starbucks amongst others.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Morrison's also have contactless (as do some Tesco Metro stores).

Going to use the account more once Santander finish their 3% bonus on Apple Pay at the end of next month.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You have to enter the PIN code every so often, even if you pay contactless all the time. This is a security measure. I'm not sure how the banks quantify "every so often" or whether its different for each bank and each customer etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure