Advice Please

Options
Good Afternoon, now if you will indulge me for a minute I could do with the benefit of one of the members experiences.

In the year 2008 and 2009 I was employed by an agency and worked for one year. Upon being released by the company I was working for, I tried to claim redundancy cover from my policy (Provided by The St. Andrew's Group over in Leeds) and was informed that as I was an agency worker then I could not claim . My question is this, could I claim my premiums back (which I paid in good faith planning for if the worst happened) now bearing in mind it was nearly ten years ago?? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I would suspect a number of issues with this:

the biggest I think is that money can only typically be chased for 6 years, whether that applies here i'm not sure.

Are you suggesting it was mis-sold?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What was your employment situation 10 years ago? If you fully employed then you weren't mis-sold.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You put in a claim, which was declined under the terms of the policy. Are you saying you were never told that it would not cover agency work?

As agency work is temporary by its very nature surely you can never be made redundant from it.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    It isn't agency work that's the exclusion. It's temporary work. To my knowledge, and for obvious reasons, this is always an exclusion on such insurances. If I recall correctly, the only way in which temporary work is covered is if you took out the policy whilst in permanent employment which comes to an end (and this was not expected when you took out the policy) and you move to a temporary position to avoid unemployment. I had such a claim years ago, but I don't think things have changed much. My job terminated and I claimed for a couple of months, then got a temporary job, and was told that the claim was suspended and I would still get the remainder of my claim when the temporary job ended. Luckily I didn't need tho claim again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure