Pros and Cons of Pre-Paid Funeral Plans

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a possibility that if you live a long time you could end up paying far more into a plan than the actual costs of the funeral?

No - most of them are fixed price, payable either as a lump sum or by instalments. You don't keep paying the latter once the plan has been paid for.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a possibility that if you live a long time you could end up paying far more into a plan than the actual costs of the funeral?

You may not pay in more but loss of interest has to be considered.

If you pay £2,000 into a plan at 60 and died at 75 then you may have been better to have invested at 5% because it would be worth £4158 with compound interest. Or play safe and use index linked savings certificates.

Indeed anyone considering burial can do their own advance planning and purchase a lair now. Local councils are bound to increase costs over the next few years.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    Stuart_W wrote:
    My wife and I (both in our 30's) are currently paying monthly instalments for a funeral bond and will have soon completed this.

just can't see the point of somebody so young taking out this kinda plan,

What everyone seems to be missing in this thread is that the costs of funerals are currently constantly rising well in excess of inflation or interest rates, and have been consistently for a long time.

The average cost in 1997 was £1,230, in 2001 it was £1,688 and in 2008 £2,549. It is predicted that it could be £4,017 in 2017. Continual upward cost pressures on crematoriums and cemeteries is a major cause behind this price inflation.

£1,230 put in a savings account in 1997 earning 5% interest would now be worth £2,353 today and £3,337 in 2017. And that's if earning 5% (gross) throughout that time is possible, without faffing about regularly to chase the best rate.

It may provide "a better return" than a savings account, it may provide a similar return. I'm not particularly bothered by either. The main thing is that it provides a guaranteed return - of paying funeral costs, whenever the need arises.

I maintain it is a good way to ensure this side of things is covered, no matter what else may happen financially to the rest of our affairs, this is something sorted, providing a little piece of mind to the family members dealing with matters at a very difficult time.
  • scotsbob
    edited 16 July 2010 at 12:10AM
    Options
    Stuart_W wrote: »
    Continual upward cost pressures on crematoriums and cemeteries is a major cause behind this price inflation.

That is the one of the increases that funeral plans don't cover. All the plans I have seen only cover the increase in undertakers fees.

I would also suggest that the figures you present are about 25% over inflated, even allowing for "average"

http://www.cremationservices.co.uk/disbursements.html

That aside, what may seem a good deal to one family may not appeal to another.

Pre payment plans do have some good points but decisions shouldn't be based on the PR output from vested interests.
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    Third party charges including cremation fees, doctor's fees and minister's/presiding official's fees are covered in the plan I have, and in most plans that I'm aware of offered by the co-op.

Perhaps this is why the overall costs quoted appear inflated, as the co-op include third party costs.
    http://www.co-operative.coop/funeralcare/funeral-plans/Choosing-the-right-Funeral-Plan/Important-factors-to-consider/
  • scotsbob
    Options
    Stuart_W wrote: »
    Third party charges including cremation fees, doctor's fees and minister's/presiding official's fees are covered in the plan I have, and in most plans that I'm aware of offered by the co-op.

That is correct, it is the increases in those costs that I meant and I have edited my post accordingly.
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    Am I being dim here? It covers all possible future increases in costs - this is, for me, one important point of plan. It is by ensuring these costs are covered that such a plan is able to provide the peace of mind that it does.
    Third party charges (also known as disbursements) are payments the Funeral Director will make on your behalf. They include cremation or burial costs, Doctors’ fees and the Minister or Officiant’s fee.
    When comparing funeral plans from different providers, it is important to read the small print carefully to see if the plan includes a ‘contribution’ or 'allowance' towards third party charges.
    The Co-operative Funeralcare fully guarantees all third party charges specified in the Plan. This means that your family will have no more to pay for these items, even if prices increase in the future.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whether or not it covers future increases in cost or not is irrelevant to me (but I can be certain they wouldn't giving me something for nothing!).

What is relevant is that I would be without that money for the rest of my life. In case I should find a use for it at some time, I would rather it was in my bank than in theirs.
  • exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    I prefer to have funeral costs paid out of my estate. I would only consider such a plan if I had no savings but still had an income larger than I needed, something I find hard to envisage.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    exil wrote: »
    I prefer to have funeral costs paid out of my estate. I would only consider such a plan if I had no savings but still had an income larger than I needed, something I find hard to envisage.

People who are on means-tested benefits find it useful. Buying one means you don't have to set aside a lump sum for funerals out of the capital amount you are allowed to have.

My parents bought theirs when the capital allowed was £6000 which would only just have paid for both their funerals. If they had kept that aside and then saved up for any big items they needed, they would have gone over the capital allowance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure