The ups, downs, and occasional sideways bits of trying to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• armchairexpert
    Options
    Well, alright, yesterday wasn't an NSD. Dame Cat was limping and grumpy when I tried to stroke her, so I took her to the vet and she had an abscess developing from a cat fight wound. That's the second one in two months, and it cost me $165 each time. I think it might be Kitten's doing: he's a year old now and he gets pretty feisty. I'm going to have to take out pet insurance.

In other medical news, Big Girl slammed her finger in a door last week and that's meant doctor's appointments to check it isn't fractured (it is not, but eight days later it's still very swollen and she'll lose the nail), and Mr E has a hospital procedure booked which our insurance will pick up but we're up for the $500 excess. He could do it under the public system, but it's not considered urgent so it'd be close to a year's waiting list. So there goes this month's margin. I feel like I post a version of this every month.

Household spends are staying nice and low, though. I'm about to go put a new loaf of bread into the oven, tonight's dinner is the fish pie which feels like a bonus meal since I didn't expect the fish to stretch that far, and the weather is finally nice enough to peg washing outside so hopefully the power bill will start to come down from now.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Spending yesterday: $20 on lunch top ups (including things like cans of soup for Mr E: he usually takes dinner leftovers but sometimes there aren't any). Another $20 when I asked Mr E to stop on the way back from the evening dog walk to pick up a snack and he decided that meant a full snacking platter and came back with crackers, salami, dip, etc. We might have it tonight, because I wasn't remotely hungry for that kind of thing yesterday: I meant a chocolate bar! And another $30 on a bottle of alcohol for the aforementioned Mr E. Are we seeing a pattern, ladies and gentlemen?

A decently paid piece of work has landed for the end of the month, meaning I'll meet my new higher target after all. I let go one of my clients last month because they were high volume and low paid and it was taking up time I could use to chase better paying work, but that better paying work hasn't materialised yet, so this will help. I upped my household contribution by $500/month in July, and I need to replace that client on an ongoing basis to maintain that. My aim is to up it again by another $500 by Christmas. That'll take the pressure off the budget, I hope.

Lovely walk with Doggie this morning. Met lots of nice people with nice dogs at the off leash park. Good to start the day with some sunshine and human interaction when you have a solitary job like mine.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I'm in that part of the month between pays where I'm scouring YNAB to see if I can move any little bits of money over from the budget account to the mortgage, but I don't think I'd better. Patience, and all that.

Busy weekend coming up: both Mr E and I need some child-free time to get our stuff done so it'll be one of those where we tag-team a bit - that is, one of us entertains the kids/dog/does the housework while the other one does the solo stuff.

His solo stuff is building a new bookshelf, which I'm very much looking forward to. We pulled apart the old one so we could re-use the wood, meaning there's books stuffed into corners and on surfaces everywhere. The new one will be built specifically for the lounge room space, and be bigger, so it also means I can get rid of the extra bookshelf in my study, and maybe even the one in the breakfast room, and have a good declutter. Love a good declutter.

My solo stuff is less interesting, in that it's just extra working hours. Mr E suggested that to fit it all in, he'll take the girls grocery shopping instead of me doing it. This will inevitably mean he spends more than I would, so I'm torn. I can try making him a super detailed list and hoping for the best!
  • wildesavings
    Options
    Your months sound like mine. I make a plan, life and family ambush my plan, I spend the rest of the month tweaking the plan 😂

Of all the things spendy hubby could do does he have to be the shop ;) maybe a free park trip and dog walk ;)
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I did the green grocer and sent him off with a very strict list! We'll hope.

We also had a chat this morning about which categories "we" overspend in every month. Part of the issue is that Mr E doesn't see YNAB - I have the old version which doesn't have an app; you can synch it to Dropbox but that's clunky - so he just spends. It's all stuff that can be justified, he's not very extravagant, but he's removed from the actual numbers.

So today I sorted everything into costs-per-person. That is, instead of having a spends category, a hairdresser category, a clothing category, a category for each extra curricular, I split it into people and allotted us each a proportion. They're not equal, because if Mr E genuinely needs to spend more money on clothes than I do (due to office job), that shouldn't mean he gets less fritter money as a result. But it does mean that at the start of the month I can tell him how much he has overall to meet all his personal costs, and then he can (I hope) keep track of it from there. It's also quite an eye opener to see how much we each spend on personal upkeep!

TBH I thought of doing that a while ago but I thought it might look like I was making a point - he seemed amenable enough to the concept this morning, though. This is the thing about mortgage overpayment. If we were in debt, he'd be 100% on board with frugality, but it's not a road to anyone's happiness to be criticising the occasional bottle of Baileys for the sake of shaving a year off the mortgage.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Update: he's not yet home, but they spent $160 at the supermarket. I was anticipating closer to $60.

I can't even.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Which version of YNAB do you have? I've got classic and that gives me a phone app.
    But... it sounds like you would save money paying the subscription for the most up to date version if Mr E would them have more of an idea bout what he can/can't spend.

Good luck.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • wildesavings
    Options
    Oh no!

I know what you mean though. My OH is quite naturally frugal but until recently has had no desire or drive to get the mortgage gone... until I hit a certain amount ( it dropped to 5 figures) and I casually mentioned that I 'think' WE could be MF in under 10 years and all of a sudden I had him on board. It was close enough for him to get excited - hope that happens for you at some point. That the switch flips for him too :)
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OMG..that's quite a difference...and you sent him off with a list. Wowsers.

We have been struggling with balance these last few months. So have released the reins a bit more which has made us happier. We will see if that was the right thing to do when I get the draft tax returns from the accountant. We are both working pretty much full time with long commutes and travel at the moment so the need for some flex seems more necessary.

We love YNAB and are on Classic. No subscription and we use it on phones and iPads. Or the other thing is to put everything on a card and check statements or receipts in every day. Or every two days. Religiously.

Have a great weekend x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the grocery shop, Ace. :eek:

Hopefully having your own category for things will help.

Is it warm in your neck of the woods? It hailed here last night (just pea size) and got to 31 degrees today, which is quite the sudden snap. Not looking forward to summer if this is any indication of what it will be like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure