I just took Voluntary Redundancy

Options
I was told last week that my job was at risk.
I worked out from the selection criteria that I was safe...however at the last minute I took voluntary redundancy.
That was yesterday....today I got a new job which, although slightly worse paid, it uses the skills I currently have...has better prospects...takes out a lot of the menial tasks I had in the old job...is a good opportunity to learn other skills...will be more fun....etc etc etc. I have been 'promised' a pay review after 3 months also.

I can use the pay off to clear my debts and then start saving too.

Just to say that, although shocking, redundancy is not the worse thing that can happen to you! There are still people hiring out there!!!
If it happens, try to look on it positively if you can!

Comments

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Are you working for Gordon Brown?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• The_Aquapanther
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »

Assistant spokesman for the Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs!
  • blackbelle_2
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »

Actually ... there IS life after redundancy. Even after compulsory redundancy. OP has admittedly been very lucky.

I struggled hugely with news of my compulsory redundancy, financially and emotionally, but 4 months later was in employment again. You end up bigger and stronger :D; you develop a hatred of recruitment agencies; and you never invest so much emotionally in work again!!
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I was made redundant twice in my working life - once when a company closed down and once when the work was contracted out overseas. It's a great feeling when you land another job but the bit in between is VERY worrying.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• The_Aquapanther
    Options
    blackbelle wrote: »
    Actually ... there IS life after redundancy. Even after compulsory redundancy. OP has admittedly been very lucky.

I struggled hugely with news of my compulsory redundancy, financially and emotionally, but 4 months later was in employment again. You end up bigger and stronger :D; you develop a hatred of recruitment agencies; and you never invest so much emotionally in work again!!

Exactly! I worked all the hours under the sun at my last job!
    Time to live a little now and have fun with my work!!! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport