"Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips

Comments

• JennyJewell
    JennyJewell Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    I agree with all above - someone else's rubbish is another's treasure but personally if it were me I would just politely ask :) That's just me though but when you've had permission you've got a clear conscience :) I once came across a lovely guitar with absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from needing a new set of strings :) It was lying outside our local church so I went inside to ask if they were really throwing it away to which they replied yes and asked if I would like to take it with me because they would rather it go to someone who would use it :)
    My hubby loved it :D
    Jen :)
    Everything happens for a reason :)
  • jamesb1239
    jamesb1239 Posts: 648 Forumite
    It is theft unless you have the consent of the owner. I do volunteering for the Youth Offending Service and we get a few young people <18 coming through who have been arrested and charged with theft for taking things from skips (mostly old bike parts etc from the tip)
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jamesb1239 wrote: »
    It is theft unless you have the consent of the owner. I do volunteering for the Youth Offending Service and we get a few young people <18 coming through who have been arrested and charged with theft for taking things from skips (mostly old bike parts etc from the tip)

It's probably because the police pressured them to not consult a lawyer and to plead guilty. The police are very good at that as each conviction helps them get up the career ladder and young people will be less aware of their rights and what the law is.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jamesb1239 wrote: »

The tip is not the same as a skip! Skips at the tip are usually full of recycling items that the council sell on.

Being charged and being found guilty are two different things.
  • *Chattie*
    *Chattie* Posts: 707 Forumite
    what annoys me more are the people who come along and dump there rubbish in the skip that I have paid for :(
  • xenon2020
    xenon2020 Posts: 22 Forumite
    It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    xenon2020 wrote: »
    It is theft unless you have permission from the owner. I'm pretty sure that most people won't mind stuff being taken out of their skip if you ask nicely.

But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?
  • ButtonF1Fan
    ButtonF1Fan Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've done this!!! Saw a fridge frezer outside someones gate, so knocked and asked. Said if you can move it, have it! So i "walked it" 1/2 a mile home. I was unemployed and actually had no fridge at all. I had been buyng single pints of milk and keeping them in my washing machine as it was suprisingly cool due to the metal...... but wasnt keen on this idea.
    I agree with all above - someone else's rubbish is another's treasure but personally if it were me I would just politely ask :) That's just me though but when you've had permission you've got a clear conscience :) I once came across a lovely guitar with absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from needing a new set of strings :) It was lying outside our local church so I went inside to ask if they were really throwing it away to which they replied yes and asked if I would like to take it with me because they would rather it go to someone who would use it :)
    My hubby loved it :D
    Jen :)
    Julie
  • xenon2020
    xenon2020 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Pound wrote: »
    But if they've abandoned it by throwing it in a skip then they're no longer the owner. At what point do they lose ownership? Is it when the skip is taken away or is it when it's tipped into a landfill? Or does the owner still 'own' it even when it's decomposing at the local tip?
    Technically it hasn't been abandoned. I'm sure that the contents of the skip become the property of the skip owner once the skip is taken away. It is then their legal responsibility to dispose of the contents properly.
  • ButtonF1Fan
    ButtonF1Fan Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The tip is not the same as a skip! Skips at the tip are usually full of recycling items that the council sell on.

Being charged and being found guilty are two different things.

at the "tip" there are signs, say "removing any items from this site is illegal" or something very similar. Skips on PUBLIC land are fair game. I have skip dived myself.... its not planned, but if i see something poking out (like a dyson handle) i might grab that vaccum and bung on freecycle if not working. I personally would not rumage through, but something clearly visible i would rehome.

If a skip was placed in thier garden, i'd be careful, its not yet thrown out. Just knock and ask. :)
    Julie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport