MoneySaving Poll: Will you be going on holiday this summer?

Former_MSE_Liane
Former_MSE_Liane Posts: 27 Forumite
edited 3 June 2014 at 9:08PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 3 June 2014

Will you be going on holiday this summer?

Summer’s here (or so they say), so for many it’s time to get your sunnies out and grab your bucket and spade for the big holiday getaway. Will you be going on holiday this year, or does the cost of travelling make you break out in a sweat?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There should be a "can't afford a holiday" option. I had to choose the "Not taking any significant time off/not changing our routine." as that was the closest, but people might choose that option simply because they're not bothered about having a holiday. (Yes, there are some, my husband would fit that category if we could afford a holiday.)
  • I'm not taking part in this poll as it doesn't have the obvious answer for many - not taking a holiday this year as I can't afford one
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Second what has been said, no option for unable to afford holiday this year.
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting to see that for MSE cities are always cloudy.... *roll eyes*
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • It is frustrating because the intro actually assumes we are out of hard financial times! We wish it was truly over...... "The recession's over, or so we're told, and the bounce back is starting. Does this mean you'll be taking a holiday this summer?"
    As for so many of us the cuts have hit so we can't even afford to travel to visit family where we just need to spend on fuel......now there is no chance of a holiday :-(
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have done some decorating and I don't think we'll be able to afford anything this year, especially as we have some more decorating to do at some point.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi just to answer a couple of points above.

1. Why no 'we can't afford it option'.

I think there's a touch of confusion, while the intro shows the reason for the poll is about afforability, what we wante d to understand is more what people will do rather than the drivers for that action.

Therefore all the answers are about your plans, not your motivation. Thus those not going on holiday, for whatever reason, including 'cant afford it' should pick the 'not going on holiday' option.

2. Someone says the intro assumes the hard times are over.

Actually I wrote that line and was quite deliberate it says

"The recession’s over, or so we’re told, and the bounce back is starting. Does this mean you’ll be taking a holiday this summer?"

This is saying we're told the recession is over (and indeed it is, under the technical definition, but that's far from saying the bad times are gone, as I've written about many times). This poll is to test whether peoples actions are changing in terms of holidays.

I hope that clears it up

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm going to OurGate.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Bella56
    Bella56 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Another "staycation" for us...might drive to a beach on one of the days off. Holidays are just too expensive, as much as I love them. With all the extras on the side (parking costs, extra food like ice cream cones & entry fees) it quickly gets ridiculous.
    Debts 2004: £6000..............................................Aug 2007: £0!!!!
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    We're having our first holiday in nearly a decade - renting a cottage in Shropshire, which is still pretty exotic for us Londoners :)
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport