Amazon Prime membership -

Comments

• rwilts
    rwilts Posts: 135 Forumite
    Ok,

1. Had my Credit Card statement yesterday. £49.00 taken and the 3 days later £49.00 credit back..So Fairs fair sorted.

2. Had another email on tuesday of them saying that last year i had taken out Amazon credit card offer (£15.00 discount on order, you remember) but had not activated the card ( In fact had never signed the agreement and sent it back ) and they were going to take the discount back £15.00. I do remenmber this being in the terms at the time.

I have had another email last night saying that as its been so long they are now not going to claim back the discount :T . Result.
    Ta
  • I just did the same thing... feel like an idiot for not noticing, and I did make another order while I was a Prime Member....

I think Amazon have been pretty underhand in the way they've duped people into signing up for this... I made an order and selected free delivery without realising it was Prime Free Delivery... so when I made the second order, I had no idea that I was a Prime Member, let alone that I'd been charged £49 for the pleasure...

I've now requested a refund and expect to be charged for the delivery costs of the two items... but at the very least, they ought to make it much clearer. The fact that you can a) sign up without realising it and b) be charged for not canceling (when you didn't even notice signing up!) is pretty devious IMO...
  • [FONT=&quot]I did this as well, I signed up and they charged me, BUT because I had not actually used it they gave me a refund straight away. I think it's only fair that they do. Even if it is PARTLY my fault for singing up, it's a cheeky way for them to make money and stay legit.
    How many more 'legit' ways can site push our way to make money out of us?

Graham[/FONT]
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=&quot]I did this as well, I signed up and they charged me, BUT because I had not actually used it they gave me a refund straight away. I think it's only fair that they do. Even if it is PARTLY my fault for singing up, it's a cheeky way for them to make money and stay legit.
    How many more 'legit' ways can site push our way to make money out of us?

Graham[/FONT]

no its completly your fault and to be quite honest its pretty pathetic how many of these threads we get
    you took up the offer of a 100% free trial
    you agreed to the T&C's of this offer
    you failed to even bother to select the option to not auto renew the prime offer

i like many many others used the prime offer and made sure i wasnt charged after my trial expired
  • custardy
    mariner-9 wrote: »
    I just did the same thing... feel like an idiot for not noticing, and I did make another order while I was a Prime Member....

I think Amazon have been pretty underhand in the way they've duped people into signing up for this... I made an order and selected free delivery without realising it was Prime Free Delivery... so when I made the second order, I had no idea that I was a Prime Member, let alone that I'd been charged £49 for the pleasure...

I've now requested a refund and expect to be charged for the delivery costs of the two items... but at the very least, they ought to make it much clearer. The fact that you can a) sign up without realising it and b) be charged for not canceling (when you didn't even notice signing up!) is pretty devious IMO...

all that amazon prime text/images at the top of every page after signing up to prime wasnt a clue?
  • custardy wrote: »
    all that amazon prime text/images at the top of every page after signing up to prime wasnt a clue?

We're not as smart as you, obviously! Did you go oxbridge?? Jeez, you probably went to be a better college than I did. Damn. Rolls eyes :rolleyes:

I did the same...and it is misleading. I noticed just after the order was made.

It isn't clear as it should be because they want to take your money! :D Who doesn't?

It should be made clearer, in my opinion. For people who aren't very good with the internet (and please don't say they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with), people who rarely use Amazon etc...it wouldn't be obvious.

But thankfully, they do give refunds if you haven't use the service. But by then, it tends to be too late anyway!
  • Rachel_bluesky
    Rachel_bluesky Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2009 at 1:11PM
    custardy wrote: »
    no its completly your fault and to be quite honest its pretty pathetic how many of these threads we get
    you took up the offer of a 100% free trial
    you agreed to the T&C's of this offer
    you failed to even bother to select the option to not auto renew the prime offer

i like many many others used the prime offer and made sure i wasnt charged after my trial expired

I am utterly shocked at your rudeness...."pathetic?"

Not because I disagree with you, but your unnecessary venom. Jeez! I'm glad I won't be coming across you along a dark alleyway.

And I am SURE that many, many others end up with prime offer not wanting it.

Who makes you the expert all of a sudden? Did you manage to poll all amazon users??

Seriously, calm down.
  • custardy
    flip boing
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    SpammyTheSpammer Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April 2009 at 2:32PM
    Who is right? There's only one way to find out.....
    FIGHT!
    or "flame war"as we used to call it back in the 80's
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    This is discussed at length here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1220007&page=7

Some people actually have the balls to admit that they got it wrong (rather than been ripped off, scammed or conned).
    I think that Amazon seem to be pretty good about refunding where someone has not used the service after the free trial has expired.

But, although you don't want it to be said, Rachel_bluesky - I really do think anyone who decides to shop on the internet should make sure they read everything BEFORE opting to pay.
    Not all companies will be as obliging in giving a refund as Amazon are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure