Sold a modelling portfolio and don't want it

I went for a modelling portfolio shoot today at the London School of Modelling and all day they took pretty good care of me at the end of the day they pressured me into purchasing the photos that took.

I paid £500 upfront and signed an agreement to pay £1000 over the next year for 30 photos and a website.

I don't have the website yet and the photos are on a disc and have not been touched up and finalized yet.

I am really regretting this decisions and I want my money back but under the pressure of the sales person I caved.

Where do I stand with this? Can I get my money back? I am scared they will take me to court if I cancel the DD and don't pay them this extra £1000.

Really appreciate the advice.

Thank You.

Comments

• smileygill
    smileygill Posts: 191 Forumite
    Disclaimer: I'm definitely not a lawyer.

But you signed a contract. I expect they're used to this kind of situation and will have all the answers ready. Personally, I'd try being very, very nice, maybe even the odd light fib (circumstances changed, can't pay now, so sorry, etc) and hope someone there has a better nature you can appeal to.

Hard lesson, and one you won't forget. :(
  • I've been reading on this site and I think I may have a cooling off period:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised/
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've been reading on this site and I think I may have a cooling off period:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised/

No comment or thanks to the poster above who has replied?
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've been reading on this site and I think I may have a cooling off period:

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it.

"You will only benefit from a cooling off period if the credit agreement was made in one of the following ways:
    1. For agreements signed away from the creditor’s normal business premises – i.e. at your home, place of work or at an exhibition stand
    2. For agreements made at a distance (online, by phone or by post)"
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    No cooling off period as it was signed and bought on the premisis.

Presumably you wanted 30 photos of you on a disc and website? So just accept it was an expensive purchase, and suck up the cost.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Bought a modelling portfolio and don't want it

These sales tactics are not pleasant to be on the end of, but unless they physically lock you in the building, start hitting you, or pick your pockets you can walk away.

They spend money to have a studio, makeup, lights, photographer, etc etc so I guess you realised it was costing someone money and that they would want to make that back somehow? This is how they make it back - but you are free to take their offer or not. I don't believe 'I changed my mind' will be accepted as a reasonable reason to breach the contract you arranged.

If they arranged finance for you, don't stop paying that - it will likely be with a credit broker who will indeed chase it through courts etc.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can't see how you can get out of paying, but if you couldn't cope with the sales pitch it's unlikely you would cope with being a model, so you may have had a lucky escape.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Bought a modelling portfolio and don't want it

These sales tactics are not pleasant to be on the end of, but unless they physically lock you in the building, start hitting you, or pick your pockets you can walk away.

Even placing people at the doors (and therefore giving the impression you cant leave) is covered under aggressive sales tactics (a banned practice).

Stating that something is only available at a price for a short period of time in order to entice the consumer to make an immediate decision is also covered under banned practices.

However the OP really needs to read the contract they signed and see whether they are afforded a cooling off period as a contractual right first.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • However the OP really needs to read the contract they signed and see whether they are afforded a cooling off period as a contractual right first.

My guess is no!

(or we won't be hearing back from the OP).
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • I fail to see how offering a product/service in returns for money is a scam.

They are paying £1,500 for a website and a portfolio.

There is no requirement in a contract for something to be a bargain - the price agreed by the parties is the contractual price.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport