Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Comments

• Do you mean grammar?
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    SmallL wrote: »
    I'm really sorry if my typing and grammer offends some of you, however its no reason to personally insult me.

"It's" not "its". Sorry, you really are just making this too easy but fear not, I'm going away now. :)
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    If you are seriously considering teaching other people's children you will need to learn the difference between your and you're. Then you will need to use capitals when using I or I'm. But then again, you will probably fit right in with the standards of some of today's teachers who were taught through the GCSE system themselves.:p
    You cannot underestimate how attached some claimants are to their 'right' to perpetual benefits even when they become wealthy.
    In this country its local authorities suppressing hundreds of years of tradition by imposing the traditions of more recent immigrants on the general community while at the same time banning the older traditions.

Practice what you preach. Neither of your keynote addresses follow correct grammatical rules. :cool:

Incidentally I wouldn't touch teaching for £40k, given the hours and effort involved. It's far too low a reward.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Whooops - typo there.

I will fix it.

Yes I am a fully qualified teacher. I am more careful when I'm preparing lessons - honest! :rotfl:

My son once brought home a worksheet for homework for spelling numbers Twenty Thirty Fourty <sigh>

Quite honestly though your first point irritated me. In the private sector it is considered an employee's responsibility to get themselves to work and many companies would have the attitude that if transport is too difficult-get a car, move closer or leave. I do see their point. Why on earth would anyone living in a country that routinely has winters where public transport stops for snow take a job far from home when they could work closer to home (as there are schools in every town)-it makes no sense.

I do wonder if teachers (and some other public sector employees) lost pay for days they couldn't attend due to weather if the absence rate would still be as high .
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Wellery82
    Wellery82 Posts: 394 Forumite
    As others have said i feel it is more to do with the risk of litigation than the fact teachers cannot get into work. When you add on associated challenges of what to do if children are stranded at school unable to get home, it starts to become more logical to close the schools. That said we do now seem to worry more about "what if" rather than just dealing with life's surprises as they come along.

On the subject of teacher workload I have a number of friends who are teachers and all work well in excess of their regulated hours. That said almost all of my friends do, regardless of occupation. I do get a feeling some teachers have a viewpoint that other jobs are 9 - 5, in a way some people believe teaching is 9 - 3.30. The reality is many jobs now have expectations that far outweight the perception, and teaching is one of these. The teaching profession also has a lot of benefits and perks others don't get, and overall i think it is a pretty decent ride
  • bugbyte wrote: »
    Hum.

I have part responsibility for closing my school here in the Midlands (and no we haven't closed!) and what most of you don't realise is that most schools close not because staff can't get in - I could run my school for a day on 1/2 staff if needs be - but because if the site and routes are not secure your little darlings may slip over on their way in - not even in the school grounds and we would have our asses sued. If we do close - and I haven't for two years - staff often make their way in and those that don't have to account for what they have done in the time. Blame the gov. safeguarding policy if you like it is not the school's fault.

With respect isn't this another health and safety myth? Despite your language 'have our asses sued', I think you're referring to the situation in the UK and not the United States? A school is not responsible for safety on the journey to school nor for maintenance of the public highway outside, so under what legislation would they be held liable for a parent or child falling over outside the school? Are you able to provide any examples of schools which were successfully sued because the pavement outside the school was slippery and someone fell over?
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hmm71 wrote: »
    "It's" not "its". Sorry, you really are just making this too easy but fear not, I'm going away now. :)

At least he goes to work when it snows:D
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If CRBs are only valid for a specific school, how do supply teachers get on then ?. I think you'll find a CRB is for the LEA area not just a given school. I'm an ACSL and my CRB covers me to attend as a leader or assistant in any Group within our District, but to work in another District I would need to have another CRB check.

As for updating the system, this was mooted by the Labour Govt. and the public were up in arms. Mainly due to the papers getting it wrong with scare stories about people needing CRB checks just to take their friends children to after-school activities along with their own. Ridiculously, Churches are exempt from CRB checks.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gregg1 wrote: »
    Not if the school is not open NO!!!!

Where I live the kids get coaches to the local secondary school. There only has to be a slight covering of snow for the coach company to cancel the coaches.

Interestingly, there is never any attempt by the parents of those kids to make the effort to get them to school themselves!

well if you close the school. What is the point in taking there children to a closed building?

not all the pupils will be getting a bus to school. The children with in walking distance can still walk in. They may be in a 1/2 empty class room, but this will allow teacher to give more attention to the pupils etc.

If the school is open, some parents will drive there children in who are not at work and have cars.
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    duchy wrote: »
    I do wonder if teachers (and some other public sector employees) lost pay for days they couldn't attend due to weather if the absence rate would still be as high .

I work in the NHS and we dont get paid if we dont turn up on snow days but there are usually more people off due to childcare issues with the schools closed than due to not getting through the snow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure