varifocals - help needed regarding different brands

Need new pair of varifocals. Currently have Varilux "panamic".
Specsavers have offer on - buy one pair get one free - it appears this applies to any brand of varifocal.
Specsavers cheapest varifocal is Pentax - they cost abut £75 less than varilux.

Has anyone had any experiences with Pentax - good or bad???

Or should I buy the latest varilux which is called "physio"???

Comments

• you would be best to speak to a few qualified dispensing opticians. I'm an optometrist in specsavers, and their 241 does apply to any varifocal. You can get any make of vari from SS, not just Pentax.

The main rule with varifocals is if it ain't broke don't fix it. The Varilux Panamic by Essilor is a very good varifocal design, if you get on well with it then stick with it.

All manufacturers of varifocals sell various different designs, some better than others, others optimised for certain tasks. (essilor varilux also do cheaper designs, some cost less than the pentax brands)

Pentax is not necessarily any better or worse, just different, so there is a chance you would get on fine with them, or you may not like them at all.

sorry, I'm waffling a bit, and to be honest I don't know an awful lot about the physio, so can't advise on that.
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,612
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i agree varilux panamic os a great design (all the varilux range are - origional varifocals since the 1960's) i have no experience of the pentax design - but most budget varifocals are a downgrade from varilux! i also belive if it aint broke dont fix it.. my mum has worn varilux comforts for many years and tried a different lens but found it difficult to get on with (had comforts for a main pair - but the cheap 2nd pair (sola graduate gold) for sunnies as she was holidaying in africa - could not get on with sunnies and cost a fortune to upgrade to varilux sunnies!!

if you must chance the pentax lens .. make sure that they will upgrade you to varies at the difference in price if the pentax dont work for you rather than pay twice!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I took like a duck to water to my specsavers Pentax after having varilux previously. I was really concerned that the blurring at the sides would be an issue esp as I needed the new glasses for driving - yet I never even noticed it

Im more then happy with mine. I do know that Specsavers will change any varifocals if you arent happy with the ones ordered.
  • yup, specsavers have a "no quibble, no fuss" guarantee, if you aren't happy, they will put it right (although if you end up upgrading to a more expensive lens you can expect to pay the difference)
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• wandaland
    wandaland Posts: 35 Forumite
    Thank you all for advice. I may as well try the cheaper Pentax lenses. And as specsavers offer a replacement guarantee I have nothing to lose. If pentax suit me, then I have saved quite a bit of money. If they don't and I have to pay extra for varilux, all I have lost is the time taken to organise a replacement.
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have used the opticians at Costco for a number of years. They do Varilux but you do need a membership.
  • wandaland
    thank you - but nearest costco is a few hours drive from here!
  • wandaland wrote: »
    Need new pair of varifocals. Currently have Varilux "panamic".
    Specsavers have offer on - buy one pair get one free - it appears this applies to any brand of varifocal.
    Specsavers cheapest varifocal is Pentax - they cost abut £75 less than varilux.

Has anyone had any experiences with Pentax - good or bad???

Or should I buy the latest varilux which is called "physio"???

hi
    i did not like the pentax and have had trouble with varifocals before. i did however order the physio with ultra clear. i needed a larger reading field as i am a furniture maker. the physio, although pricey, are far superior. i did not expect there to be such a differnce. there is also far less distortion when you move your head form side to side. i ended up getting a second pair. the two4one does not apply to physio.s entirely. Physios are £175. but they will only give you the second oair uo to the value of £135 so you have to stump up the extra £40 for the second pair. specsavers always try to "sell up" where possible ie their cheaper brands are average at best so they will encourage you to buy the most pricey. in the case of physio however i think they have an excellent product.
    good luck
  • wandaland
    Thank you for your reply - wish I had known a week ago!!!
    Collected new pair of pentax varifocals yesterday.

At the moment I feel like I am wearing someone else's glasses!!!! They feel a bit strange - but I will persevere for a few weeks and then if still strange, will have to change them to varilux. The reading bit at the bottom is not as good as I expected - my prescription has got stronger, but these don't seem a a lot different from my old glasses..........
  • I have worn Varilux comfort for years with no problems but was tempted by Specsavers Pentax and have to say that I couldn't get on with them at all - they were really strange and I found that I went queasy when I was going downstairs or if I looked up quickly. I went back to the Varilux, which I get in Costco for £160 plus frames cost.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure