Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 June 2011 at 5:41PM
    Options
    Hi

Simple ones first (feedback) ......

Typo ..... "Watch to watch out for with free solar panels " .... What ? :)

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I've updated :-)
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK, I'll bite. Has anyone any experience of changing supplier while on the Feed-in Tariff? I know it is not supposed to be a barrier to changing, but given the palava of registering and submitting readings (I now have two separate registrations, one for a Micro CHP boiler and one for Solar PV) and the risk of losing payments while the switch happened, I do wonder how easy it is. I am currently with Scottish Power (more fool me you might say) and their systems for dealing with the Feed-in Tariff are not exactly slick, maybe other suppliers are better.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • lanstrom
    lanstrom Posts: 204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since after having the panels installed there will be no direct sunlight hitting the roof tiles, would you think there may be a problem with moss build up under the tiles over the years (as it will be moist and damp .. ahem!) ?
  • laxton74
    Options
    My mum bought some Solar Thermal panels. Anyone know how much this could save her?
  • commanon
    Options
    I contacted a "pay for them" supplier - sadly I cant remember who it was! - but the chap on the phone wanted to book an appointment which would last 90 minutes, and he wanted both my wife and myself present when he came.
    Sound familiar? - think double glazing! - think Kirby! etc etc.
    When I asked him why it took 90 minutes he said he wanted to explain everything in detail, and it must be to both of us. Also they only did three appointments per day - 11am - 3pm and 7pm.
    I wonder why?
    I told him to forget it!

Dave
  • digitaltoast
    digitaltoast Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2011 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Bingobongo wrote: »
    What a disgusting idea.
    The poor subsidising the middle classes to buy solar panels in order to make money.
    !!!!!! I feel sick.
    Martin Lewis green eco-warrior. I hope you are proud of yourself.

At last! Someone else "gets" it! Newcomers to this new thread who haven't already read this thread would do well to have a browse through there.

Here are some key points that stand out for me:
    On the rent-your-roof-out-for-25-years scheme, the best you can hope for is £70 a year in savings. You could easily save triple that just by using off-peak electricity. Greener, more reliable, doesn't steal from little old ladies to fund a massive con.

The government's own official estimate of the cost of solar PV FiTs:
    http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/Consultations/Renewable%20Electricity%20Financial%20Incentives/1_20100204103559_e_@@_FITsImpactAssessmentaccompanyingGovernmentResponse.pdf

"The estimated resource cost is £570m in 2020, £8.6bn cumulative to 2030.
    The estimated cost to consumers, cumulative to 2030, is £6.7bn
    OVERALL NET BENEFIT (NPV Best estimate) £ -8.2bn
    "

Here's the BBC Radio 4's "You and Yours"/Which? investigation into dodgy solar panel sales practises.
    Here's a direct link to the clip. Well worth a listen within the next week.
    Here's the Energy Saving Trust analysis of the report.

Here's some technical reading from one of the most widely respected Cambridge University physicists:
    http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/withouthotair/c6/page_38.shtml

Here's a snippet from George Monbiot's blog:
    The feed-in tariffs about to be introduced here are extortionate, useless and deeply regressive.

Those who hate environmentalism have spent years looking for the definitive example of a great green rip-off. Finally it arrives and no one notices. The government is about to shift £8.6bn from the poor to the middle classes. It expects a loss on this scheme of £8.2bn, or 95%(1). Yet the media is silent. The opposition urges only that the scam should be expanded.

On April 1st the government introduces its feed-in tariffs. These oblige electricity companies to pay people for the power they produce at home. The money will come from their customers, in the form of higher bills. It would make sense, if we didn’t know that the technologies the scheme will reward are comically inefficient.

Here's my own blog on the subject: http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/fits-of-madness-solar-pv

And finally, if anyone is still up for Solar PV, would you mind helping me persuade the local council to fund my jobs generation scheme?

I've based it on the Feed In Tarrif scheme. All the multipliers are the same so it should make sense.

Everyone lucky(?) enough to live within a 1 mile radius of a McDonalds restaurant will get a voucher for a free lunch of a Big Mac.
    While the retail price of a Big Mac is £2.89, in order to incentivize you to make the journey, when collecting your Big Mac you'll actually be paid (3.58x£2.89) = £10.35.
    Whether or not the Big Mac is collected, McDonalds will be required to make them. Most Big Macs will be available at about 3-4pm when demand is lowest, although this is randomly variable. This will generate approximately 250 new jobs as the site will have to greatly expand.
    Fantastic news for the economy.

Also, new jobs will be generated throughout the supply chain. Although most new cows will be farmed on newly cleared virgin rainforest in Guatamala and provide nothing extra for the UK economy, 3 new cows have been purchased in Berkshire. Most great jobs news as another farm hand is hired.

As a result of this, we expect to see great improvements in the gastric band and cholesterol pill industry.
    In fact, we can see early results already - one of the largest providers of cholesterol pills is funding the building of some new "Super-McDonalds", complete with car park, in return for the £10.35 that the customer would normally get, AND the customer gets to eat the free burger (saving as much as 85p on making it themselves).

All of these marvellous benefits to the economy with the 1 mile radius of these restaurants are made possible simply by a levy of just 25% on all vegetables and healthy eating options on all other people in the town unable to take advantage of the 1 mile radius. We expect this venture to add just £6bn index-linked to the food bills nationwide of those outside the 1 mile radius.

Brilliant, eh? I mean, how can anyone fault such a sensible idea?
    So, can I count on your support?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    laxton74 wrote: »
    My mum bought some Solar Thermal panels. Anyone know how much this could save her?

The Government commissioned some tests of 10 solar thermal systems(both types -flat panel and evacuated tube) and found that they produced on average 1,000kWh per year.

If you have gas for hot water that will save around £30 a year - bear in mind that you have to pay for electricity at around 10p a kWh to run the pump and electronics.

A further issue is that the great majority of that hot water is produced in the summer, and very little in the winter months.

If you have enough panels, you could produce more hot water than you need in the summer months - but still very little in the winter.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite. Has anyone any experience of changing supplier while on the Feed-in Tariff? I know it is not supposed to be a barrier to changing, but given the palava of registering and submitting readings (I now have two separate registrations, one for a Micro CHP boiler and one for Solar PV) and the risk of losing payments while the switch happened, I do wonder how easy it is. I am currently with Scottish Power (more fool me you might say) and their systems for dealing with the Feed-in Tariff are not exactly slick, maybe other suppliers are better.
    Hi,

I changed supplier almost immediately after having the panels installed (my capped rate was ending and I could get a better deal elsewhere) I phoned the old and new suppliers to ask what I should do. Both said that at that time (July 2010) there was no automatic mechanism for changing who pays the FITs when you change supplier and that the old supplier would continue to pay FITs without any problem.

This has worked ok for a year now, and I'm just about to change supplier again.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • RenovationMan
    RenovationMan Posts: 4,227 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2010/mar/11/solar-power-germany-feed-in-tariff

"Solar PV has failed in Germany and it will fail in the UK"

When the German programme began in 2000, it offered index-linked payments of 51 euro cents for every KWh of electricity produced by solar PV. These were guaranteed for 20 years. This is similar to the UK's initial subsidy, of 41p. As in the UK, the solar subsidy was, and remains, massively greater than the payments for other forms of renewable technology.

The real net cost of the solar PV installed in Germany between 2000 and 2008 was €35bn. The paper estimates a further real cost of €18bn in 2009 and 2010: a total of €53bn in ten years. These investments make wonderful sense for the lucky householders who could afford to install the panels, as lucrative returns are guaranteed by taxing the rest of Germany's electricity users. But what has this astonishing spending achieved? By 2008 solar PV was producing a grand total of 0.6% of Germany's electricity. 0.6% for €35bn. Hands up all those who think this is a good investment."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure