Recycling fur coats

Hi there.

I'm looking to part with my fur coat collection, I have twelve (at last count) and I just don't have the room for them any more. I should point out that my coats are all older than myself! I'm looking to sell them on to a company who takes in second hand fur to be refurbished and sold on. I like the idea that they can be spruced up and passed on to be loved by someone else.

The thing is, as much as I know there are companies who do this they seem to mostly be in the US and I'm looking for somewhere in the UK who would take them. Would it be worth my time just calling around the local furriers and asking if they'd be interested?

If anyone coul point me in the right direction or give me an idea of where to look/ask that'd be great.
Thanks in advance, Joanne.
Debt free since 2014 - now saving for a mortgage deposit :heart2:
This time I'm on top of it! We live and learn :coffee:

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My aunt wants to leave me a fur coat in her will, and I don't know what to do about it. As far as I know it isn't from an endangered species or anything, but it will be very old fashioned. It will seem wasteful to just throw it away, so if anyone has any ideas along the lines that JCD_Capulet mentioned then I'd be really interested in them too.
  • I cannot suggest anywhere for the OP to sell the fur coats to

Seakay - The best way to put the fur to good use is to give it to an animal sanctuary. They can use it to comfort orphaned animals.

I have don't a quick search on google but cannot find an example of this, although I have heard about it from the peta. If you call up local shelters, rescues, etc you could ask if they could use it.
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    I don't see a problem with fur. Far more "green" than fake (as long as it's from a sustainable source not endangered speices etc). What better use for a skin from a rabbit shot for dinner than to save it up to make a fur coat? Grey Squirrel, Fox and Mink are classed as vermin in this country. Better to use the fur than just to throw it when the animals are disposed of (as vermin).
    If you are uncomfortable with fur then sell it or give them to a charity shop...or better still, put them in a box and send them to me!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • JCD_Capulet
    JCD_Capulet Posts: 1,441
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hapless wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with fur. Far more "green" than fake (as long as it's from a sustainable source not endangered speices etc). What better use for a skin from a rabbit shot for dinner than to save it up to make a fur coat? Grey Squirrel, Fox and Mink are classed as vermin in this country. Better to use the fur than just to throw it when the animals are disposed of (as vermin).
    If you are uncomfortable with fur then sell it or give them to a charity shop...or better still, put them in a box and send them to me!

Hapless, I totally agree. I think using the furs of animals hunted to controll numbers/ 'vermin' ect is far more green than a fake fur coat made of plastics which will take hundreds of years to decomp (if ever that is!) in landfill. Besides, I'm pro-fur, I can't even pretend to myself that I'm not what with being a taxidermist.

The reason I put my question in this section of MSE is because I personally see it as a green and ethical subject. By selling on and allowing someone else to get the benefit of the furs I've collected, I see it as almost honoring the lives of the animals used to create them in the first place.

Can I just make a point tho, please do not donate real fur items to charity shops! This is how I came about the first few pieces in my collection, whilst I worked for a charity. Alot of charity shops will not sell donated fur items, nor do they go to rag collections for recycling. They're binned because the charities don't want the hastle that might arise from people complaining over the ethics of selling fur. Whenever fur was donated to the stores I worked in staff would lay them aside for me and I'd pay a donation to take them home because I knew they'd go to landfill otherwise.
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Can I just make a point tho, please do not donate real fur items to charity shops! This is how I came about the first few pieces in my collection, whilst I worked for a charity. Alot of charity shops will not sell donated fur items, nor do they go to rag collections for recycling. They're binned because the charities don't want the hastle that might arise from people complaining over the ethics of selling fur

true, but then we're not that fussy down here, you're hard pressed to find an anti-fur campaigner in Hunt country.;)
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • JCD_Capulet
    JCD_Capulet Posts: 1,441
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good point! :)
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't have a problem with fur from animals farmed or killed for meat - seems to be a good thing to use as much as possible, and I don't see that it's any different from leather. I was wondering if there was somewhere to go to to have garments updated, refurbished and generally looked after.
    If the furs were from rare or endangered species then I would certainly donate them for animal bedding, on the basis that wearing them (even though second hand and vintage) might encourage someone else to want something similar so that more rare animals were killed for their pelts alone.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP, do they particularly need refurbishing?

I recently sold some rabbit-fur coats on eBay (on behalf of a friend) and they fetched £20-£40 each, despite small tears in the lining. All the purchasers left very positive feedback and seem to be delighted with their purchases.

And after all, 12 coats could be worth well over £200 to you this way!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • The best way to put the fur to good use is to give it to an animal sanctuary. They can use it to comfort orphaned animals.

what a good idea :)....my mum has 3 fur coats that will never be worn from my gran who passed away few months ago...i will sugest this as she didnt want them just going in the bin at least some use would become of them.
    :)
  • Another option is, giving them to the local threatre, thats where l took my aunty's old fur coats, they make good use of them there..

Just a thought!!! good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport