PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milton Sterilising fluid

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2017 at 11:31AM
    MrsE wrote: »
    So how can you use Milton to make suspect water safe to drink, but you couldn't use bleach?
    you have that completely backwards. peroxide is not bleach. milton is bleach. and they both are antiviral antibacterial and antifungal. hydrogen peroxide will degrade into water and oxegen, and sodium hypochloride will break down into toxic residues, only a few so quite safe to use on bottles for babies, but still you are creating a toxic residue, toilet bleach uses the same stuff only in higher percentage so it is not safe to use, and is not food grade, ie can contain other toxic crap in it that you dont want your baby to drink the residue of. watering down household toilet bleach is not a subsititute for food grade milton or other brands of food safe hypochloride. but dont mistake it is indeed bleach. household food grade less strong, but still bleach. peroxide is not bleach and it will kill all the same things leaving only water and oxygen as a byproduct.

Milton contains sodium hypochlorite (confusingly this is actual chemical "bleach". Household bleach is a different chemical composition)

Milton (http://www.milton-tm.com/en/consumer/faqs) contains 2% sodium hypochlorite & 16% NaCl (known commonly as table salt)

Household bleach contains 8% sodium hypochlorite & about 0.5% sodium hydroxide de (http://www.vabchem.com/Files/Other/Cosh/Domestos.pdf - domestos COSHH sheet)

Slight difference in chemical composition makes it unsuitable for a few of the same uses - baby bottles, water sterilisation etc. But for cleaning of general things like surfaces, it makes no difference which you use. Just dilute household bleach as directed on the bottle for general cleaning.

Milton, apart from for use on baby bottles, for general cleaning is a complete branding con and a total waste of money. Makes me :rotfl: how MIL swears by it for everything yet won't use bleach for the same jobs like cleaning washing up cloths and wiping down the counter tops when it's so expensive and cheap bleach will do (& leaves the same horrid chlorine gas smell b/c that's how you know it's working just like in a swimming pool!)
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Bleach works just as well if not better and is far far cheaper than Milton, which is really just a waste of money.
    I don't and never would sterilise baby bottles with Milton or anything else for that matter.

I don't sterilise my breasts, so why would I sterilise a bottle?
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Milton's? I had never thought to use it around the house, although I did know about its use in sterilising baby's bottles. Thanks to whoever said that they use it for sterilising their jam jars. That was a big lightbulb moment for me, because it is something that I have worried about. Does anyone use Miltons on the seals/lids?

One thing to note - Miltons may be more dilute than standard bleach but it can still burn. We used to use it to debride wounds back in the 1980's. (I.e. chemically burn off dead tissue, primarily on leg ulcers or burns. You'd pack the wound with gauze soaked in Miltons, and change it every 4 hours.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bebedoggie wrote: »
    I hate to disappoint everyone, but Tesco's no longer sell the 1000ml bottles only the 500ml ones. l have been using this for the last 40 odd years, a really useful product for all the things you've all been discussing and more. The large bottle was only a few pence more than the smaller one so was a really good buy, now l'm damned if l'll pay nearly as much for half the quantity. Can't find anywhere else that sells the larger bottle though, l wonder why! Please let me know if any of you know of anywhere that does.

Have you tried Home Bargains? Just checked in my cupboard and the bottle I have is 1lt. Can't remember how much it cost, but couldn't have been expensive or I wouldn't have bought it.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As part of Lidl's "baby" promotion this week, they're selling litre bottles of "sterilising liquid" for 99p. It looks and smells like Miltons. (Be careful transporting it - I don't believe the lids are 100% liquid tight. Ours leaked a few drops.)

I have two questions for you Miltons devotees:-
    1. I want to use it to bleach my Belfast sink (the bottom is all scratched/stained). What dilution would you suggest? I'm planning to leave it overnight.
    2. Is it safe for use on my slate-tile floor and/or granite worktops?

Thanks.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I'd use ordinary bleach on your sink. Undiluted. That will remove any stains as well as sterilise it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Isnt Milton just diluted bleach? I can dilute it myself, i dont need to pay for the privilege.

I use diluted bleach for cleaning my bone china mugs, spoons and toothbrushes. Obviously they need a good rinsing afterwards.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I soak my flannels/handtowels in either a Milton lookylikey or a Steradent lookylikey - overnight before washing normally.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Judi wrote: »
    Isnt Milton just diluted bleach? I can dilute it myself, i dont need to pay for the privilege.

I use diluted bleach for cleaning my bone china mugs, spoons and toothbrushes. Obviously they need a good rinsing afterwards.

Yes, the main ingredient is exactly the same, but bleach is a slightly different formula and some have added soaps and pefumes, making it unsuitable for baby bottles. Beyond that bleach will do everything else just as well, probably even better, than Milton.

It's just a marketing ploy, make watered down bleach and tell the world it's a wonder product. People fall for it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, the main ingredient is exactly the same, but bleach is a slightly different formula and some have added soaps and pefumes, making it unsuitable for baby bottles. Beyond that bleach will do everything else just as well, probably even better, than Milton.

It's just a marketing ploy, make watered down bleach and tell the world it's a wonder product. People fall for it.

Just as well i never used bleach for sterilizing my babies bottles then.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport