MSE News: Rail fares to rise by an average of 2.3% from January - beat the hike

The Government has been accused of pricing passengers off the railways following its move to hike fares from January...
Read the full story:
'Rail fares to rise by an average of 2.3% from January - act now to beat the hike'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Funny how the policy of limiting rail fare rises to the rate inflation was done in the interest of keeping costs down for rail users, but the positive sentiment behind it has backfired spectularly. All it has done has been to provide a once a year lightning rod for all and sundry to complain (justifiably) about how expensive train tickets are, and how poor quality most rail services are. If the policy had never been instigated, fares would still have gone up regularly, services would still be poor, but different people would have been affected by different amounts and at different times of the year, so there would never have been this groundswell of negative publicity.
  • mattymc13
    mattymc13 Posts: 447
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GTR, the company who runs that total !!!! show that is Southern, posted profits of almost £100 million in the most recent financial year. I just want you to think about that for a second. £100 million! This is money which would be reinvested back into the railways if they were renationalised. This isn't acceptable any more and it's time we made a stand because they are holding us all to ransom.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    mattymc13 wrote: »
    GTR, the company who runs that total !!!! show that is Southern, posted profits of almost £100 million in the most recent financial year. I just want you to think about that for a second. £100 million! This is money which would be reinvested back into the railways if they were renationalised. This isn't acceptable any more and it's time we made a stand because they are holding us all to ransom.

Just one mild correction for you, Go-Ahead Group made profits of £100 million, the majority of those profits coming from their bus operations. GTR made a loss for the group.

But don't allow that get in the way of your rant
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,347
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How do they get an average of 2.3%? I went on my first off peak day return yesterday and it had gone up 22% even with my railcard discount. Another scandal that doesnt get exposure
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kuepper wrote: »
    How do they get an average of 2.3%? I went on my first off peak day return yesterday and it had gone up 22% even with my railcard discount. Another scandal that doesnt get exposure
    Do you understand the word 'average'?

What scandal do you want exposed?

Please can you supply details of your ticket/route, including prices paid on both occasions, as without that info it is difficult to offer a more comprehensive answer.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Only regulated fares have gone up 2.3% - so thats most peak time fares. Many off peak fares are unregulated, so they can put them up as much as they like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure