Giblet's mortgage free journey

Comments

• My two are my first pets - I try to avoid thinking about how I'll be when the time comes.....

Not much MSE to report today; a very busy day at work, and did avoid buying stuff when tempted (namely lunch and a coffee on the way home) but I won't OP until I know for sure what Friday's dental stuff is going to cost.

Have worked out that I'm expecting to earn about £1500 between now and December in jobs 3 and 4 which is planned to go straight to OP. Need to keep that in mind when I could be heading home, but instead I have to go to an additional shift after work making those days 13/14hrs. It's only a few tho

Hope everyone is doing well - time for a mug of tea and finish watching Great British Menu on catch up

Gib xx
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Ouch - I used to work for a green supermarket and I remember doing 13/14 (and more) hour shifts. The money is nice but boy is it tiring. Much prefer it now but then again I'm earning more per hour and it's in an office. Also, first time in a decade I'll have the whole of Christmas off!!
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That sounds exhausting Giblet but will make a big difference in the long-term. Glad to hear your cat is feeling better. We have a rat on antibiotics at the moment!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Hey giblet1979,

Just had a read through your diary & I love it already.

Congratulations on becoming Debt Free, we are currently in the process of getting rid of ours. Will be gone by 2017 then we can start savings for our mortgage deposit then start on the MFW!

You are doing so well on the OP's already.

Cannot believe you work 4 jobs, I work 1 & feel that is enough :rotfl:

Dxxx
  • Hi all,

Feeling sorry for myself today as the abscess has got the better of me and I'm off sick. Very dosed up on painkillers now tho, and hoping to get into work tomorrow but will miss a shift tonight; nice rest but rubbish in terms of meeting my OP goals! Might have to try and find the money from somewhere else to make up for it....

mrsp - I used to work split shifts in a corner supermarket when I was at uni - the most physically exhausting work I've ever done. At least now I get to do a lot more work sitting down, but it's not as good for the waistline...

amy - awwww to the poorly rat. Hope it's feeling much better. Also hope you're doing well? Hugs all round. DH won't let me have any more animals (maybe a dog when we're home more, but everything else I suggest I'm told no...I don't even have to say anything, I just look at him and he says 'no' :) )

dolly - thank you so much for your kind words. It's lovely to know that people are interested enough to read (still not sure why) and it helps me so much to read others, and to write down my ramblings. Do you have a diary? That sounds like a great plan, and it seems like it will take such a long time to be debt free, but then it happens and the exciting MFW life can begin :)

Right...I've decided to make an OP to cheer myself up (and I would have paid out for petrol today if I'd got to work so....)

Back later :)

Gib x

• £33.74 OP just sent to the mortgage (petrol, yesterdays non-spends and a tilly tidy to the next 00 - AFK would be happy although it's not the mortgage balance as I can't see that round off in real time :) )

• Hey,

Sometimes your body just needs rest.

You can catch up on the OP when you are feeling better.

I know, I will be debt free before I know it then can start building my Deposit Pot.

I'm already looking forward to making a spreadsheet & reducing the term of my non existent mortgage :rotfl:

I just feel like I need to focus on the big picture in order to stay on track, did you find that.

Dxxx
  • Hi dolly
    Yes, we moved in with family to save for a deposit (lucky we could do that, and it made sense as I'm a carer for parents). Then we tried to save as hard as possible, but have a bit of a life at the same time. The fact that you're already thinking about overpaying at this point is excellent. We ended up taking on a bit of a project, which was more than we'd budgeted for, but I still think it was the right thing to do, and knowing that we were short on the deposit and fees, but REALLY wanted this house certainly focused us in the final few months while the sale went through :)
    Now I've found your diary, I'm looking forward to learning in more detail about your goals xx

• See that's great, would have been a massive help for you.

We are renting at the moment, just need to keep the focus.

I also need to remind myself that this is not going to be a quick process either, 2017 rid of debt, 2017- 2021 save, 2022 buy home, 2033 hope to be mortgage free!

Long term plans, very long term.

Dxxx
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Giblet - I know what you mean. I used to calorie count but then when I switched jobs in the New Year going from such an active job at @sda to an office based desk job I really struggled. In the end I joined Slimming World and reached target at the end of August. I still think it was the best decision I've ever made leaving though! Miss the people but that's all.
    Walked into town to pop into w@itrose for some eggs and there were pallets of pumpkins. It didn't even register with it being the 12th October that they'd be in store now. It's refreshing to be surprised by what I see in a shop now rather than expecting it weeks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure