Referendum: which way are you voting?

Comments

• saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2016 at 4:18PM
    Leave
    johnpr98 wrote: »

It could have 3 billion signatures and it still wouldn't matter. I suggest you pick the toys up and move along. The people voted, the result has already been decided by referendum. Democracy. That's the way it works.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Remain
    Will be pretty funny if Nicola Sturgeon is correct and the Scottish Parliament can veto this. End result would probably be a push for english independence from nI and Scotland while Wales continue to be tied at the hip.

BTW, do people realise how many senior civil servants it takes to run Parliament, Scottish Parliament, Welsh Parliament NI assembly the London Assembly etc? They might not get called bureaucrats but essentially it is what they are. Heads of Departments in NI can get £130,000+ which isn't far off the PM's salary.

I take it, because waste was the only reason people voted out of course and the 'unelected bureacrats' too, that we will be voting the NI assembly down because the same things exist there?
  • johnpr98
    johnpr98 Posts: 82
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 June 2016 at 4:47PM
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    It could have 3 billion signatures and it still wouldn't matter. I suggest you pick the toys up and move along. The people voted, the result has already been decided by referendum. Democracy. That's the way it works.
    in the unlikely event that 17+m sigs are verified I doubt that any government would ignore the result, mainly due to voter remorse, UK voters accept fair democracy, however the unravelling lies of the referendum promises are the issue here and over a million voters feel they have been duped.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3660294/May-Tory-stop-Boris-PM-poll-shows-emerges-1-1million-people-regret-voting-Leave.html
    I've never seen this so happen so quickly in the UK before and I'm one of the baby boomers. This petition will be a part of UK history and should not be ignored unless found to be fraudulent.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2016 at 4:57PM
    Leave
    in the unlikely event that 17+m sigs are verified I doubt that any government would ignore the result, mainly due to voter remorse, UK voters accept fair democracy, however the unraveling lies of the referendum promises are the issue here and over a million voters feel they have been duped. I've never seen this so happen so quickly in the UK before and I'm one of the baby boomers. This petition will be a part of UK history and should not be ignored unless found to be fraudelant.

I give up.

Sign your petition. Whatever helps you move on. Just don't waste too much energy. You're right in that the petition will be part of history soon enough. Brexit is the future the voters decided on.

Ps. You realise the poll you link to is based on a sample of 1033 people right?

In the referendum people actually voted. As in one person one vote. Not a sample of 1000 people then extrapolated. 17 million actual people, with actual votes, decided to walk to a polling station, go to the booth, pick up the pencil and mark a little x beside leave...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Remain
    sportsarb wrote: »
    Will be pretty funny if Nicola Sturgeon is correct and the Scottish Parliament can veto this. End result would probably be a push for english independence from nI and Scotland while Wales continue to be tied at the hip.

BTW, do people realise how many senior civil servants it takes to run Parliament, Scottish Parliament, Welsh Parliament NI assembly the London Assembly etc? They might not get called bureaucrats but essentially it is what they are. Heads of Departments in NI can get £130,000+ which isn't far off the PM's salary.

I take it, because waste was the only reason people voted out of course and the 'unelected bureacrats' too, that we will be voting the NI assembly down because the same things exist there?

Theres "heads of departments" and theres "Heads of Departments". I'd say theres relatively few on £130K in the grand scheme of things. I know quite a few civil service heads of departments and they're not on that sort of money.

It wasnt the only reason BTW - i dont think we were getting anywhere near VFM for what we were putting in to the EU and i think that is only likely to get worse as more and more poor European countries join.
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Leave
    lol,
    it really is getting beyond silly now,
    anyone with an internet connection can register their `vote` or in this case `votes`,

for instance...
    "In isolationist North Korea, one of the least internet-connected countries in the world, 23,778 people had apparently gone online to express their frustration at the UK’s decision to quit the EU. Located 800 miles south east of the Falklands, and with a permanent population of zero, the South Atlantic British Overseas Territory of South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands was responsible for more than 3,000 signatures
    That was some 300 more than those coming from the British Antarctic Territory, which though home to some 400 researchers also has no settled population of its own.
    Signatories are also recorded in places as far flung as the Caribbean island of Aruba (101), Bermuda (564), China (432), Hong Kong (2,089), Japan (742) Venezuela (24) and the South Pacific Islands of Tuvalu (18), Wallis and Fortuna (8) and Vanuatu (31)."

The minority dictating to the majority, yep, Vote early and Vote often.
  • johnpr98
    Forumite
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I give up.

Sign your petition. Whatever helps you move on. Just don't waste too much energy. You're right in that the petition will be part of history soon enough. Brexit is the future the voters decided on.

Ps. You realise the poll you link to is based on a sample of 1033 people right?

In the referendum people actually voted. As in one person one vote. Not a sample of 1000 people then extrapolated. 17 million actual people, with actual votes, decided to walk to a polling station, go to the booth, pick up the pencil and mark a little x beside leave...
    Fact I voted for Remain as I saw through the very calculated lies of the Leave campaign
    The poll may only be out of a 1,000 voters and I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, however I know there is voter remorse on both sides, the result should be based on fact, not lies, that's my gripe and I'm not alone for once.

I'm only one voter as you are and I'm only giving forum members the best information I can find, they can decide themselves whether to sign the petition, this long shot is the only hope of laying this mess to rest. My conscience is clear that I have not voted in such a way as to give racists a licence to harass others who are different living in Great Britain.

Over and out and in
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    Remain
    Fact I voted for Remain as I saw through the very calculated lies of the Leave campaign
    The poll may only be out of a 1,000 voters and I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, however I know there is voter remorse on both sides, the result should be based on fact, not lies, that's my gripe and I'm not alone for once.

I'm only one voter as you are and I'm only giving forum members the best information I can find, they can decide themselves whether to sign the petition, this long shot is the only hope of laying this mess to rest. My conscience is clear that I have not voted in such a way as to give racists a licence to harass others who are different living in Great Britain.

Over and out and in

There were very calculated lies by the Remain camp too. Its being cited as one of the reasons why they failed to win. They tried to put the Fear of God into people with lies and people saw through it.

If you are minded to see it all as a big threat to your life then chances are it will be, personally, i'm open minded about it at see it as an opportunity.
  • johnpr98
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    There were very calculated lies by the Remain camp too. Its being cited as one of the reasons why they failed to win. They tried to put the Fear of God into people with lies and people saw through it.

If you are minded to see it all as a big threat to your life then chances are it will be, personally, i'm open minded about it at see it as an opportunity.
    I as many viewed the Remain data as warnings of what may happen in the event of a Brexit.
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/will-wake-vote-leave/ and they seem to be reasonably accurate thus far

Brexit claims were meant to be enticing to certain types of voter and there's a campaign sheet kicking around somewhere on the net, so for now
    http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/8-of-the-most-misleading-promises-of-the-vote-leave-campaign-ranked-in-order-of-preposterousness--WyxD59VO3Nb

Please stay open minded and take the opportunities
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    Remain
    I as many viewed the Remain data as warnings of what may happen in the event of a Brexit.
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/will-wake-vote-leave/ and they seem to be reasonably accurate thus far

Accurate so far? Everyone said there would be some turbulence on the markets if there was a leave vote, so doesnt mean everything else they are saying from the Remain camp is right.

Lets be honest, the stock market HATES uncertainty. What happened on Friday wasnt the stock market making a statement as to how they now considered the UK, it was a reaction to uncertainty.

Lets be honest, the UK markets pretty much recovered by the end of day as did Sterling.

AND we've had great market turbulence when we were in the EU. !!!! happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure