DVLA clamped my car- Can i appeal ?

Stompydebs
Stompydebs Posts: 227
First Post
Forumite
Hi all,,

Just need some advice please. I bought a new ( secondhand) car on saturday. I obviously did not know if i was going to buy the car until i saw it etc. But did change my car insurance saturday morning for the new car,, so i was insured as i drove it 160 miles home to my house. The car has no tax. I have no driveway, my road is terraced houses. So i am waiting for the documents to arrive in the post so i can go and tax the car. I did try to tax the car online on saturday evening but as i do not yet have the full log book i was unable to. So yesterday morning i took a faxed copy of my car insurance cover to my post office, but they politely told me they could not accept it as it was a fax. But i thought, at least i have tried. Anyway returned home about midday to find my car clamped outside my house. I rang the number and had topay £200 but will get £120 back when i go and show them that i have taxed the car. Do i have any grounds for appeal to get my £80 back?

They unclamped my car about 1.5 hours after i paid and chap said that im ok for 24 hours, but after that they can clamp my car AGAIN.. even though i explained to him that im waiting for the insurance documents to arrive. ( Bit annoyed as quinn direct only sent them out yesterday, but i did change my insurance Saturday morning). Really worried they will clamp car again,, my insurance has not arrived today.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    The fact remains that an unlicensed car was on the public road. It is an 'absolute' offence and I think you will find them deaf to excuses.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Come and park your untaxed vehicle on my street.
    There is a car that has been parked two doors up with tax disc which expired in July of last year
  • Thomas99
    Thomas99 Posts: 322 Forumite
    mymatebob wrote: »
    Come and park your untaxed vehicle on my street.
    There is a car that has been parked two doors up with tax disc which expired in July of last year

How about doing your Public duty & reporting it?
    Founder member MSE Jet Airways Mile High Club
    Member #1
    :love:
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Stompydebs wrote: »

Can anyone advise?

Yes, get it off of the road.;)
  • mymatebob
    Thomas99 wrote: »
    How about doing your Public duty & reporting it?

I have - via the DVLA website - at least once a month.

Waste of time
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Stompydebs wrote: »
    The car has no tax. I have no driveway, my road is terraced houses.
    Can anyone advise?

What grounds are you going to appeal on? You parked an untaxed car on the public highway. It's an absolute offence.

If I were you, I'd see if the local pub landlord would let you park it in his car park for a few days until you can get it taxed.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    personally, i think you have a right to appeal, the issue you may have, is until you have tax on the car, it will keep getting taxed (hence why some have suggested parking it off road).
    the positive point for your appeal, is that you cant get the car taxed without a valid insurance document, so you cant do that until you have the papers from quinn (?)
    i assume that the log book change of ownership has been sent of

to me it sounds like the dvla have been chasing the car or at least have known about it not being taxed for a while, and the previous owner did not fill out a SORN notice......
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    unfortunatly i dont see your grounds for appeal.if the cars untaxed then it shouldnt be on the road.
    that includes the 160 miles you drove home untaxed
    just the other day i saw 7 clamped cars in morningside,edinburgh which is a decent area.
    7 in one street shows how many untaxed cars are out their
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    robnye wrote: »
    personally, i think you have a right to appeal, the issue you may have, is until you have tax on the car, it will keep getting taxed (hence why some have suggested parking it off road).
    the positive point for your appeal, is that you cant get the car taxed without a valid insurance document, so you cant do that until you have the papers from quinn (?)
    i assume that the log book change of ownership has been sent of

That is no right of appeal, the system may not be perfect, but it does not allow an unlicenced vehicle on the road.
  • mymatebob
    custardy wrote: »
    unfortunatly i dont see your grounds for appeal.if the cars untaxed then it shouldnt be on the road.
    that includes the 160 miles you drove home untaxed
    just the other day i saw 7 clamped cars in morningside,edinburgh which is a decent area.
    7 in one street shows how many untaxed cars are out their

Wish they would come and clamp this bl**dy BMW on my street.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure