How to lose weight - it's simple

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When I restricted myself, my body craved food, my brain craved food, as in its survival instinct
    But you didn't have to binge. If you were hungry, you could have just had something healthy to eat rather than overdose on food to compensate.

The problem is, the more you eat, the more you crave it (like most things!), so yes, your brain (mainly) and your body (out of habit) was asking for more, but that wasn't out of NEED but out of HABIT. It goes back to what I was saying, it is about re-educating your brain and body to what is right for you, whatever this right is.
    Prior to dieting, I never thought of foods as good and bad, I ate what I wanted (what my body wanted) and it kept itself 'healthy'.
    How long ago was this? My experience (myself and people I speak with) is that age impacts a lot on how much we can get away with, and what we can eat in our early 20s whilst still managing to stay the same weight, and what we need to do in our 40s is very different. That doesn't mean that the way we ate at 20 was right and therefore that it's not our fault if we put on weight in our 40s. It means that we need to accept that we can get away with murder as we did then.
    That led to the behaviours I described where I felt like I was no longer in control of my own body. I don't profess to know what the answer is, but I do know it isn't calorie restriction or dieting..at least not in the long term.
    And indeed, it might very well be that it doesn't work for you, but there will be a way for you to lose weight. My way is unconventional, hence why I tried other methods, but I have certainly come to accept that it is what works for ME. That means no breakfast, a very small lunch (300 calories) but whatever I want to eat between 4-5 pm. What I have found is that I do NOT need food to keep me going in the morning. I know a lot of people think they would faint without it. Maybe they would and I'm just different, or again, it's just habit. I've learnt that not only do I not need it, but I actually feel much much better without food in my stomach, including if I do high intensity exercise. Amazingly, I will feel much less hungry throughout the morning than I do if I have something soon after getting up.

I then get all the mental pleasure of eating without counting quantities once a day. I do tend to eat quite healthily anyway, but just had too much of it. It now doesn't matter so much because that's all I'll really have. I then found myself quite stuffed so don't feel the need for any more food until the following day. It works for me because if feel that I eat without restricting myself, but when I do count how many calories I have taken on during the day, I realised that it is usually around 1800-2000, which means that I maintain my weight.

The only restriction I had to impose on myself was giving up cakes and other sugary things, however, I have found that once you do give it up, so do the cravings. I rarely long for a cake, and one I do have the occasional one, it doesn't change how I feel.

This works for me, but it certainly doesn't mean it would work for other people. It's about trying different things and going with your instinct. However, the fact remain that whichever method you use, if you eat more than what is the correct number of calories for you over a certain period (be it 24 hours or a week), you WILL put on weight, end of.
    If weight loss really was that easy, why is the obesity epidemic growing?
    The theory of weight loss is very simple, the applying it is hard, and the less willpower you have, the harder it will be.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My experience is that people who are addicted to tobacco get more sympathy than people addicted to food. Giving up entirely is a simpler mental proposition than cutting back - but not practical with all food, though some people do go cold turkey with sugar or other food types.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    If the parents weren't bought up with the tradition, then I don't know why you'd see it as a shame that their kids have never had a roast. There may well be other dishes the families regularly cook from scratch.
    As for deep fried pizzas and cheesy chips, those are both things that are fine as a treat once in a while, it's pretty obvious that both are high in calories and low in nutrients, if people chose to ignore that and eat them too often then it's not the fault of the inventors.

Some people are just not interested in cooking. One of the parents told me they wouldn't know how to go about cooking chips from scratch. Another mum told me she'd eaten scrambled eggs but had "no clue" about how to make them herself. They just know about different things, I guess, like fashion, which labels to buy, getting their nails done, which hair colour works best.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Lordy!
    My Mum worked in a pub Sunday lunchtime & I (aged 17) was responsible for cooking the 'proper' Sunday dinner (& that was 45 years ago)

How old are the parents who don't know how to cook it?

I couldn't imagine not eating good veg (& well done for not confusing swede & turnip).

As for haggis, a friend brought some back from Edinburgh & I wish he hadn't bothered. (Maybe it wasn't a good quality one?).

The parents are all now in their 40s or 50s. The do things like buying banana smoothies in bottles instead of buying yoghurt, fresh bananas and milk and blending their own. There's me thinking they have a nice blender on their kitchen bench but there's a kind of disconnect. It's like wanting to own an electric, say, whisk but not actually ever wanting to use it. Or owning ten cookbooks but never actually trying to make anything. Or having a car in the driveway that you never actually drive anywhere.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    dktreesea wrote: »
    Why should roasts only be a rare treat? We have a roast every week.

Personally, I prefer variety in the meals I cook & eat.

Having a roast dinner every week - even if you vary the meat - would be boring to me
  • FBaby
    theoretica wrote: »
    My experience is that people who are addicted to tobacco get more sympathy than people addicted to food. Giving up entirely is a simpler mental proposition than cutting back - but not practical with all food, though some people do go cold turkey with sugar or other food types.

Losing weight is a personal decision so sympathy should be irrelevant. What is the point of comparing losing weight and cutting down smoking? Both are hard in their own ways and one will find one harder then the other. What they both have in common is that success will only come with will power. There is no cutting corners hoping not to have to follow the rules rigidely but still gain the benefits. It won't happen.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 October 2016 at 8:36AM
    FBaby wrote: »
    Losing weight is a personal decision so sympathy should be irrelevant. What is the point of comparing losing weight and cutting down smoking? Both are hard in their own ways and one will find one harder then the other. What they both have in common is that success will only come with will power. There is no cutting corners hoping not to have to follow the rules rigidely but still gain the benefits. It won't happen.

Not that I want sympathy, because I am happy with my own way of thinking, a lot of people (judging by posts on here) think someone who is overweight just needs to sort themselves out, or that they're lazy and greedy. And it seems like fat shaming is still acceptable.

Also, smokers can abstain completely from smoking without it causing them harm. The same can't be said for people wanting to lose weight.

I still don't agree with this willpower guff. I have said many times before, most people who have lost weight and gained it and lost it and gained it have masses of willpower. Biology takes over at the point of restriction. And just because there is a small minority that can control their weight by calorie restriction, doesn't mean it's 'simple'..the point I have tried to make numerous times.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1765639640365420&substory_index=0&id=1578310945764958

http://peacefuleating.co.uk/what-to-do-when-everyone-around-you-is-talking-about-diets/

http://peacefuleating.co.uk/why-diets-dont-work-the-brain/
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Also, smokers can abstain completely from smoking without it causing them harm. The same can't be said for people wanting to lose weight.
    I do not agree with this at all. Both can reap many more health benefits by using choice and will power.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I do not agree with this at all. Both can reap many more health benefits by using choice and will power.

How can you not agree with fact. A smoker can completely give up smoking without detriment. People can't completely give up eating without killing themselves.

And I will say yet again, will power has chuff all to do with it long term, and therefore in reality. I (and 95% of dieters) have had 'willpower' many times before and lost weight, but then biology and the brain take over. If I am so wrong, why is the amount of obese people rising?

In addition:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
  • FBaby
    I have said many times before, most people who have lost weight and gained it and lost it and gained it have masses of willpower
    So they ARE capable of losing weight. How can it not be an issue of willpower? It's one thing to have the willpower with a clear goal, and support from peers, it's another matter to keep it up when you don't have that goal/incentive any longer and no-one cares about the efforts you need to put in to keep the weight down. It's still a case of willpower.

My office is full of women who go from one diet to another. When they do, that's all they talk about. They are highly motivated and that motivation gives them then will. They lose the weight, start feeling good about themselves and then think that they can relax their attitude. They have that one (which really is two) glass of wine in the evening they have given up, they have that one biscuit in the staff kitchen each time they go and make the tea round, they have the one take away, let themselves enjoy a proper meal when they go out.

All of a sudden, they want to talk about everything but dieting. They take the biscuits when no-one is looking, they say they have ordered the take away but that's because they were late and it was too late to start cooking something healthy. All this is a failure to keep up the willpower, ie. to say NO to the things they said no when they were dieting.

Keeping to the right weight demands constant attention and restrictions, it's just the way it is. It is just that once you accept it and build it as part of your everyday habit, the restrictions are not so disheartening, especially if you balance it out with the rewards. For me, all the restrictions throughout the winter/spring are worth it when the time come to get my summer clothes out again and once again they fit me perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure