PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is quick washing bad for clothes?

Comments

• Have recently bought a brand new A++ rated washing machine (moved house and folks unexpectedly took theirs with them) it was not the cheapest (Sams!ng eco Burble) and have been able to reduce the weekly clothes wash down to a 30 degree from 40 degree wash (which is what they recomended - I tried it and was going to rewash if necessary). It also recommended less cleaning fluid. The clothes come out even cleaner than with my previous machine - which was a cheap one but only 3 years old. So I think the technology is advancing. SO it depends on the effectiveness of the machine you are using.

Um do feel that t-shirts need changing every day (unless only worn for a couple of hours) and certainly underwear - male or female!! Maybe I just have a sensative nose (not being a smoker) but being close to someone who either doesnt wash themselves (at least every other day) or clothes regularly is repulsive. As a teacher of children I have, over the years encountered both children and adults who suffered with not realising their odor - and I have had the unenviable task of telling parents to clean their kids and their kids clothes more frequently. Not fun!
    Sleep well folks
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • I wash lightly just-worn-for-a-short-time-clothes on a short wash in my machine and it seems to be fine.Clean underwear is a must for me every day as I would just feel 'grungy' if I didn't.But perhaps trousers/ jeans don't need washing after one wear,more so in the winter when its hard to get stuff dried indoors.

I strip and change the bedding weekly and towels I save until I have enough to do one wash at a time I change tea towels daily as I am drying the plates I put my food on with them.I'm not keen on washing up cloths as I think they just are disgusting and use j.cloth type cloths (I do cut them in half as they are more than big enough :)

Re detergent: I use half the amount recommended with a small handful of washing soda which I buy from a discount shop for about 60p a box.I use white vinegar instead of conditioner as I don't like the slimy feel of conditioner on clothes and the smell of some of them is revolting.I f I want to smell of something then I will use anti perspirant, and my own choice of perfume not some airy-fairy company's idea of what clothes should smell of Mine are line dried and smell of fresh air which is free :) what on earth is ylang ylang anyway :):):)
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    JackieO wrote: »
    If I want to smell of something then I will use anti perspirant, and my own choice of perfume not some airy-fairy company's idea of what clothes should smell of Mine are line dried and smell of fresh air which is free :) what on earth is ylang ylang anyway :):):)

:rotfl: ylang ylang is a flower hun - it probably smells lovely and delicate in real life

You are spot on with what you said JackieO - you can't beat line-dried. I tend to go for lavender if I can't get unscented as moths are supposed to hate it.
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • We use zoflora and only a drop as conditioner, when drying on the line or on a maiden in-doors.

We are like Jackie O - we use less than the recommended amount for the detergent plus a small amount of soda crystals too.

Our washing machine does a quick 20 minute wash too but for a longer wash, at 30degree wash - we can do a wash for an hour and that gets our clothes nice and clean etc

All towels go in at a 60degree wash and get a full time wash too.

Have a good rest of the day all!
    SIL
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Um do feel that t-shirts need changing every day (unless only worn for a couple of hours) and certainly underwear - male or female!! Maybe I just have a sensative nose (not being a smoker) but being close to someone who either doesnt wash themselves (at least every other day) or clothes regularly is repulsive.

Well I do wear them for a hour, two or so maximum a day and just walking about would never for example wear a t shirt that had even been worn for under a hour if I did something like heavy lifting (though in that case I may chuck on a already iffy smelling t shirt for that very reason) I change underwear at least once a day and when younger 2-3 times a day average even 4 at its peak till I realised I was making a lot of washing and whats the point in fresh underwear if I am going to bed anyway and as long as I washed down areas that can get smelly I was fine.

Like I want to go up town and put on a fresh t shirt, in total might take about a hour I come home and then put stuff back on the balcony to air.

With one t shirt which seems thicker (so maybe the fabric used) I can go up town and back and smell basically nothing unless you checked and even then it would be so small you would have to know its there.

With some other ones (that seem thinner on me to wear) I can do as much as walk to bus stop and they feel like they are clammy smelling at least again if you went right up to them and smelled it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ScotinLondon, it must be something to do with my tiny late 'weedgie' Mum who instilled frugality into me almost from birth, I could see her walking around a supermarket if she was still alive today tutting about the amount of cash wasted on unnecessary things that are sold today ,one of them being 'conditioner' whether for clothes or hair.

Hair was rinsed until 'squeaky' clean then towel dried :) and a frequently muttered 'fools and their money are easily parted ':):):) and as for 'fast food !! I haven't a clue what she would make of that.

Like me she would probably want to know what you did with all the time you 'saved' and the money you didn't :):):)
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Oh bless.... old people...

How many of them went to the grave complaining about the price of everything yet left sizable estates. Too many old people are unable to distinguish between being financially savvy and plain old mean.

Granny left close to a million yet watered down the milk to make it 'go further' and wrapped herself in blankets rather than put the heating on. She was always complaining how wasteful everyone else was.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My gran died young in her mid sixities 30 years ago(actually may of been younger, when I look at photos of her she looks much older and reminds me of Dame Everidge but I assume just the fashion of the time)

She left a house which sold for 40 thousand at the time (which I assume would be a few hundred in modern terms) and 40 thousand in savings.

My dad said she would make the tiniest portions of food, but well cooked but massive home made desserts, and went on one expensive holiday a year to Scarborough in the Grand Hotel (which in todays prices is a few hundred a week) but was frugal the rest of the time.
  • Oh bless.... old people...

How many of them went to the grave complaining about the price of everything yet left sizable estates. Too many old people are unable to distinguish between being financially savvy and plain old mean.

Granny left close to a million yet watered down the milk to make it 'go further' and wrapped herself in blankets rather than put the heating on. She was always complaining how wasteful everyone else was.

Mr Singleton...it's different strokes for different people. In my own household, it is only me working & therefore paying for everything, as my lovely DH has an incurable illness which is nowstarting to take effect & I am not even 50! I try to be frugal in some areas to make moneyetc go further so that we can have a few luxuries now as in the future, I may have to give up work.

Being frugal does not mean 'plain mean'. We all have our reasons.

Finally, sorry OP for highjacking your thread.
    SIL
  • I use the quick wash feature on my machine which is 1hr. Seems fine for everything apart from sheets and towels.

There is a 20 and 30 minute programme but rarely use them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure