PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade Bread

I love making bread, both DP and DS like it when there's fresh bread available... DS likes his white bread warm and buttered, DP takes uses his wholemeal for sandwiches/toast... at the minute I'm mostly doing them in the bread maker (not with a packet mix, just measuring out ingredients) and the times I do it all by hand (which I actually prefer) it just doesn't rise like it should. My problem is, I live in an old draughty house so can't prove my dough properly... I have no airing cupboard as my boiler is up in the loft, kitchen is north facing and rarely sees the sun... no warming drawer (it's on my wish list :rotfl:) so any tips on a perfect prove for nicely risen bread?

Comments

• I have the same problem! I tend to leave it in the oven with the light on (no idea if this works or not though!) or on the floor next to the tumble dryer vent. Sometimes on a chair pushed next to the radiator.
  • You can use your oven for this. The lowest temperature on my oven is 50, which is too hot. So, I generally turn it on 50 while I'm getting the ingredients together/measured/waiting for the yeast. I then turn it off before I start kneading and it is generally cool enough by the time I'm finished. If not, I just open the door for a minute or two while I tidy up. If it is particularly cold in the house and the dough is rising too slowly then I might take the dough out for a few minutes and repeat that process. In the winter time I usually just move a chair near the radiator and put the bowl there.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    It is draughts rather than cold itself that seems to affect bread dough. I would consider using a large box with a lid to put the bowl in, and no reason you can't carry it to another part of the house that is warmer or catches the sun.

Having said that, I sometimes prove dough in the fridge overnight - which is a classic way of proving some doughs (I think traditional french bread is often proved this way) but works for all of them.

Just think of the yeast working (just as some yeasts do when they spoil food) - it will work quicker in the warm, slower in the cold, but will still work.
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    I used to have this problem - I used to fill a hot water bottle with boiling water and put it in the oven with the dough. It seemed to warm up the small space enough to rise.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have a tumble dryer? If you do, stick on high for 10 mins, turn it off, put the bread i a shut the door for an hour. Works a treat.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately no tumble drier either, I do have hot water bottles though!
  • Apollonia
    Apollonia Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you have a microwave? You can use it as a proof box -

http://www.thekitchn.com/proof-your-bread-dough-in-the-microwave-35685
    Start by microwaving one cup of water in a microwave-safe glass for two minutes on high power. Once the water is heated, place the covered bowl of bread dough in the microwave, along with the water, and close the door. As the water continues to steam in the closed microwave, it creates a warm, humid environment, similar to that of a bread dough proofer. The warmer and more humid the air is, the faster the bread should rise.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I use warm water with the yeast to give it a head start and cling film over the basin to keep in the heat - sometimes the clingfilm will actually stretch into a big bubble after a couple of hours but the dough does rise well.
    :hello:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've made bread this morning in the Panny, It's just finished ......eemm, smells lovely.
    I use 70% wholemeal and 30% white, so you get the nicer taste of the wholemeal and a softer loaf with the white.
    I usually go to Lidl for flour.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I let my bread rise overnight in the fridge, I prefer the taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure