Hi is matt or silk best for walls?

Hi guys I am decoraing and just wondered if matt or sillk is best for living room walls? Usually i grab whatever is cheapest! Lol.

Comments

• hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    for what its worth I prefer the 'satin' finish,matt is just a 'flat' finish,with silk/satin you can use lights to bounce of the wall
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • I used matt Dulux once in our living room and dining room and hall when we moved in and wish I had gone for a more satin finish. I find matt, while it can help to hide imperfections on the walls as the light isn't reflected, it tends to mark easily :(
    Silk finish is a bit shiny so maybe a satin which is more inbetween the two. I have made the mistake of going for the cheapest paint before and having a total nightmare then wanting to re-do the lot afterwards.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    thanks fast on the draw you two! I usually use Dulux or Crown end of ranges and buy extra to touch up marks. Hadn't thought asbout satin, will bear comments in mind when at the diy shops!
  • If you can be bothered, then you can always pay for a tester to be made up in satin at homebase or something in the colour you want and give it a try to see what you think to it? It isn't cheap though, think the smallest one is over £3 from memory.
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    another consideration is - i find matt comes off if trying to clean marks off the wall - but silk or satin tends to stay put!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Matt can look very 'chalky' so usually silk is better, unless you have seriously uneven walls when matt seems to camouflage the lumps and bumps better.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Silk is a little dated, Matt is more current.

Just like for woodwork, gloss is dated & the less shiny satinwood is in.
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Its not called Satin, Satin is for woodwork, your talking about Soft Sheen, which is not as glarey as Silk.
    Whether you go with Silk or Soft Sheen, make sure your walls are good, as Silk and SS will emphasise every minor imperfection.

There is nothing wrong with Mat,:D and there is wipable Mat,or better still 'Endurance' which is Mat, but doesnt leave that dull mark if you have to wipe it off.
  • chalky_75
    chalky_75 Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    I hate matt-- looks so flat
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MrsE wrote: »
    Silk is a little dated, Matt is more current.

Just like for woodwork, gloss is dated & the less shiny satinwood is in.

You should have what you like, not what someone else has decided is in fashion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure