Car insurance still valid?

Options
I am the owner of the vehicle and the policy holder. I was the registered keeper when I took out the policy. a few months ago I changed the registered keeper to my dad as he has been looking after the car for me. I did not inform the insurance company as this was a temporary arrangement. My car has just been stolen and I want to know if me no longer the registered keeper will make my insurance claim invalid?

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    askaq wrote: »
    I am the owner of the vehicle and the policy holder. I was the registered keeper when I took out the policy. a few months ago I changed the registered keeper to my dad as he has been looking after the car for me. I did not inform the insurance company as this was a temporary arrangement. My car has just been stolen and I want to know if me no longer the registered keeper will make my insurance claim invalid?

At the very least it will raise some questions.

Does the V5C show a change from you to him at a date after the policy started?
    Presumably he became the main driver whilst looking after it. Did you inform insurers of this?
    You didn't advise insurers because it was temporary but you did inform DVLA. Doesn't make sense.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would think that changing the registered keeper, will also change a few other things as well, such as the use of the car and where it is kept. I would think that not informing the insurance company of a major change such as this will invalidate the policy.
    I hope that I am wrong.
    Good luck.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If he was looking after the car at a different address, then I doubt you'd be covered. This is because you told the insurers the vehicle would be kept at property A, and they base their prices on this, whereas it's actually kept at property B.

It will definitely raise questions as to why you changed over the registered keeper - no one would do this if their dad was 'looking after their car'. If the vehicle is no longer yours, and you've actually given it / sold it to him (which is what the insurers will see if you have changed the registered keeper!) then you have no insurable interest and the policy will be cancelled from then your dad became the registered keeper.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    askaq wrote: »

there appears to be no logical reason for doing this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport