Tried to boost income - where to sell what I brought?

Hi, I'm new to all of this but was just looking for some help. I bought a full facial kit. Me and my partner were going to try and open up a little salon and offer facials, it never happened. Does anyone know where I could sell any of this stuff because I don't want to lose money. Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I guess it depends on the value of it - you could try eBay, or maybe a local newspaper ad. Is there a forum for people in that business? If there is, you could try to sell it there.

I would expect you will lose some money - if you were purchasing now, would you buy from anywhere other than the original supplier if it wasn't going to save you anything? Obviously that depends on what the kit includes - anything that has a warranty might give potential buyers cause for concern when buying "second hand" even if it's not been "used", any consumable items might have a use-by date.

Hope you get a decent return on it.
  • Emma851
    Emma851 Posts: 20 Forumite
    You can sell it on Gumtree?
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mattstan wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to all of this but was just looking for some help. I bought a full facial kit. Me and my partner were going to try and open up a little salon and offer facials, it never happened. Does anyone know where I could sell any of this stuff because I don't want to lose money. Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Think you have to be realistic about losing money here.

I wouldve thought places like ebay and gumtree would be your best bet.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Where is the incentive to buy from you rather than brand new from supplier/manufacturer? Sorry, but you are going to lose money.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Try selling on Facebook? Is it all sealed?
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    Did you research as to whether there was a market for facials in your area? Do you have friends who like to have facials? Seems it stopped short of becoming a business.

A lot of us have been there. The get rich quick scheme.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • minxy-x
    minxy-x Posts: 139 Forumite
    Is there any way you could set up a small salon from home (with all consents and insurances obviously).
    A friend who set up a salon, purchased all of her items from people with similar circs to yours, at a max of 50% the price she could have bought it.
    Hope it all works out for you.
  • I just wanted to offer some encouragement for you NOT to sell this, but to put it to work making you money. It's easier than ever to start a business from home now, and with a bit of facebook marketing you really could build a nice little business. If you have questions about how to make it a success then ask away, but dont give up on the dream of being your boss, it's an amazing ride!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    How about making a guide to go with it so that you are selling a full facial kit plus the guidance to use it to make money?
    I am assuming you and your partner have the expertise to use it but not the motivation.
    Someone else might have the motivation but not the expertise and might just go for it with a guide to help them along.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    fewgroats wrote: »
    Did you research as to whether there was a market for facials in your area? Do you have friends who like to have facials? Seems it stopped short of becoming a business.

A lot of us have been there. The get rich quick scheme.

I tried not to laugh when reading this. And failed. :rotfl::beer:
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport