I am locked into an 18 month sky contract - HELP!

Options

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »

None of which is going to help you as you are in a minimum term.

Is there somewhere else in your budget that you can cut costs to cover the amount you cannot afford? Have you actually sat down and worked out your income and outgoings?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »
    Thanks for that!
    My Sky bill is Box set with sports 65.50 - 19.65 (discount) = 45.85
    Broadband & Talk £36.99 (Broadband unlimited £10 + sky talk anytime £8, line rental 18.99)
    Total 82.84
    Its the TV bit which seems expensive ! but they wont budge

Actually I'd say it's the LR/BB which you're overpaying for. 30% discount is okay for the TV but keep in mind for the future that 50 or 60% is your minimum target.

You will without any doubt get the £10 for BB removed, do you need Sky Talk Anytime?

Speak to them regarding the LR/BB but only after you've checked what's available in your area (including from Sky for new customers).
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only 30% off was a poor deal to have taken. Most get much more discount than that, but while they have you in a contract you can't expect to have a price cut,because of that contract.

The only way to get a better deal would be if you were eligible to leave, because of a price rise, and Sky made a better offer so you'd stay.
  • ginnza
    ginnza Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would place a order with a new provider to take over the line for broadband maybe bt
    Who have some good offers on ATM and that will trigger sky to call you or give you a 'reason ' to call them after you have place to a order to check they have recieved the transfer ok and then you can discuss your options of keeping the broadband and tv from a position of strength
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ginnza wrote: »
    I would place a order with a new provider to take over the line for broadband maybe bt
    Who have some good offers on ATM and that will trigger sky to call you or give you a 'reason ' to call them after you have place to a order to check they have recieved the transfer ok and then you can discuss your options of keeping the broadband and tv from a position of strength

there is no position of strength. Sky have them under a contract for the TV.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    None of which is going to help you as you are in a minimum term.

Is there somewhere else in your budget that you can cut costs to cover the amount you cannot afford? Have you actually sat down and worked out your income and outgoings?

I've just swapped Gas/Elec supplier, Thanks yes
  • ginnza
    ginnza Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to disagree her leverage is her broadband is out of contract
    My broadband was out of contract and tv in contract a few weeks back
    I called so about an A new
    broadband deal wasn't happy so placed a order for bt fibre at £30 a month with bt sports included and sky called offered me sky max and half price line rental I refused and got free line rental for a year with sky max and 60% off original and sports for a year
  • EnglishWelshie
    Options
    Could you not drop your tv package down with sky removing the sports part of it to reduce your tv costs with sky until your contract is up.
    Then with talk talk could you do the tv package with the sports but without adding on the £12 entertainment boost as you will most likely already have those channels with sky.
    It may be worth pricing it up like that as it should work out cheaper than what you are paying now. Also can you go through topcashback or quidco if taking out talk talk as that could also be factored into the cost.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I'd say it's the LR/BB which you're overpaying for. 30% discount is okay for the TV but keep in mind for the future that 50 or 60% is your minimum target.

You will without any doubt get the £10 for BB removed, do you need Sky Talk Anytime?

Speak to them regarding the LR/BB but only after you've checked what's available in your area (including from Sky for new customers).

new customers, same deal is around £62 - I've thrown that at them to no avail
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ginnza wrote: »
    I have to disagree her leverage is her broadband is out of contract
    My broadband was out of contract and tv in contract a few weeks back
    I called so about an A new
    broadband deal wasn't happy so placed a order for bt fibre at £30 a month with bt sports included and sky called offered me sky max and half price line rental I refused and got free line rental for a year with sky max and 60% off original and sports for a year

a few weeks vs over a year of contract is quite a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure