Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As per the title and on offer this week for £3.99......well I have just had it for my tea and it was absolutely delicious...and good amounts..did as a main meal for me and OH.....hth x

Preferred the Gressingham Duck ones they used to stock. I thought the sauce was much nicer. The good news is that Lidl now stock them and at £4.49 they are lovely
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It's one of the inconvenient facts about Lidl & Aldi that their detractors overlook - many of their products are made by mainstream food manufacturers in the same factories in which they make branded products.

The most obvious example is Warburtons Bread, but there are plenty of others.

Just because the foods are made in the same factory doesn't mean that they are identical or the same quality. The recipe and/or cooking method might be different.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Just because the foods are made in the same factory doesn't mean that they are identical or the same quality. The recipe and/or cooking method might be different.

Yes, of course. In practice, there are products that are virtually identical to a branded equivalent, and some that are not.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Picked up the Aldi Xmas brochure this morning, there's some fabulous stuff in there ! I'm definitely trying the Gin Mare ! £39.50 at Waitrose, £27.99 at Aldi.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The most obvious example is Warburtons Bread, but there are plenty of others.

Is Aldi bread made by Warburtons? That would certainly explain why it's so awful!
    Stompa
  • Cornucopia
    edited 10 November 2016 at 11:26PM
    Stompa wrote: »
    Is Aldi bread made by Warburtons? That would certainly explain why it's so awful!

I've seen the Warburtons lorry (and the Arla lorry at Lidl)...

Warburtons bake a lot of the UK's bread.

Personally, I prefer the bread at Lidl (the 3 "posh" loaves - granary, seeded white and seeded wholemeal - are all nice, as are the wraps and the various ISB offerings).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've seen the Warburtons lorry (and the Arla lorry at Lidl)...

Warburtons bake a lot of the UK's bread.

Personally, I prefer the bread at Lidl (the 3 "posh" loaves - granary, seeded white and seeded wholemeal - are all nice, as are the wraps and the various ISB offerings).
    I agree, the bread at Aldi scores 10/10 for being boring! I like the Lidl bakery, the big croissants are a nice occasional treat :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't like the low plastic containers they have at the bakery there's usually a little kid playing with stuff in them while mom chats to a friend on the phone.
  • Cornucopia
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I don't like the low plastic containers they have at the bakery there's usually a little kid playing with stuff in them while mom chats to a friend on the phone.

Best to choose something high up.

I had a row with some parents when my Lidl first opened about exactly that - they had let their children run around the store unsupervised and one of them decided to help herself to a donut, and then put it back.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stompa wrote: »

What, compoared with Kingsmill - the worst bread in the universe? Or some of the supermarket own brand loaves?

Of all the sliced plastic loaves I'd have said Warburton's is definitely the best and I'm glad Aldi sells it for just a £1 unlike some other strres who can charge as much as £1.45.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure