Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Comments

• Kayster
    Kayster Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    4457 wrote: »
    Hi
    I tried Hermes before reading the list of exclusions (which are VAST - what DO they carry (and insure) apart from clothing, I wonder!! Although I think it is just a ploy to get out of paying compensation.) They quote just under £10, which was very reasonable, but not if I cannot insure it, which I can't do, as it is on their list of exclusions. I tried parcelforce and they want well over £25. Parceltogo said it was too big and sent me to couriers, who wanted me to sign up, before giving a quote - no quick quote available. I looked for any reviews on the couriers, but they are not mentioned. I went to parcel+ but the parcel is too big. I haven't tried any others yet - thought I
    would ask here first. I really don't want to pay over £20.

https://www.clickandsendparcel.com £7.49 plus vat with £50 insurance more available if needed. Carrier UPS who are about the best. next day service.
    If you read through this thread from start to finish you will find someone posting something bad about EVERYONE.
  • Where is it going from and to, I might make you an offer.:D;)

Seriously though when my wife was selling a bulky armchair over Ebay, we did not want to say buyer collects and I managed to find a web site where you put up your consignment and couriers bid for it.

In the event I discovered I could wangle it into the back of our estate car with about half an inch to spare and the disabled couple who had bought it were happy to pay £50 to have it delivered.

If you can be a bit flexible, there are hundreds of couriers out there, for whom a return load is all profit.
  • I need to get some jewellery (value around £2k) collected from Spain and delivered to me here in the UK but I'm finding that courier companies tend to need international collections to be booked from the country of origin. Can anyone recommend any courier companies for this kind of situation please? Doesn't need to be next day delivery or anything, just insured because of the value....
    Thanks!
  • I need to get some jewellery (value around £2k) collected from Spain and delivered to me here in the UK but I'm finding that courier companies tend to need international collections to be booked from the country of origin. Can anyone recommend any courier companies for this kind of situation please? Doesn't need to be next day delivery or anything, just insured because of the value....
    Thanks!

Think I would rather go to Spain and collect this by myself,:cool:

Nice trip, a few days away and no paying any courier !!!!!:D
    Looking forward to the day I have nothing left to list on eBay
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Think I would rather go to Spain and collect this by myself,:cool:

Nice trip, a few days away and no paying any courier !!!!!:D
    Agree with this. It will be hard to find anyone who will insure jewellery.
  • Eric777
    Eric777 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    4457 wrote: »
    Hi
    I tried Hermes before reading the list of exclusions (which are VAST - what DO they carry (and insure) apart from clothing, I wonder!! Although I think it is just a ploy to get out of paying compensation.) They quote just under £10, which was very reasonable, but not if I cannot insure it, which I can't do, as it is on their list of exclusions. I tried parcelforce and they want well over £25. Parceltogo said it was too big and sent me to couriers, who wanted me to sign up, before giving a quote - no quick quote available. I looked for any reviews on the couriers, but they are not mentioned. I went to parcel+ but the parcel is too big. I haven't tried any others yet - thought I would ask here first. I really don't want to pay over £20.
    I used Hermes a lot and felt it was good value. Then I sent a retro acrylic/resin lamp, a very heavy sold item, and Hermes smashed it! I couldn't smash it if you gave me a sledgehammer! It was wrapped in lots of bubblewrap and thick cardboard. And insured. But Hermes were horrid and just said it was on their exclusions list. I had sold it on Ebay for £60. I will never use Hermes again - to break that shows how violent they must be when handling parcels! I am very good t packing and have successfully sent convex mirrors everywhere, including Italy, and they arrived intact. This lamp base seemed unbreakable!
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've used Myhermes a lot for sending (and receiving) Ebay items and have saved a huge amount on RM postage costs. I've found them to be reliable, and I like the fact that I can take the package, in my own time, to one of their nearby collection points (usually corner-shops or supermarkets) and not have to wait in for a courier pickup.
    I've also arranged for people to send things to me. I just arrange the Myhermes courier collection online, print the label and send the address label to the person to stick on the parcel. They can then just drop it off at the pickup point or wait for a courier pickup - brilliant.
    Never had any problems with them and they are my first-choice when it comes to heavier items. Beats RM prices hands-down.
  • Pls be aware that overseas couriers will charge either on your parcels actual weight, or whats called the volumetric weight - whichever is the higher !!
    This means if you ship a parcel that actually weighs 1 kg, but you pack it in a box that is 45x45x30cm you will be charged for 12.5 kgs - not good !

Remember to pack your item in as small a box as possible, or use a jiffy bag or similar.

the way they calculate volumetric weight by courier is usually parcel L x W x H/5000

so as above, a box of 45CM x 45CM x 30CM/5000 = 12.15 vol kgs, but they'll charge you for 12.5 kgs as they usually use half kilo increments.

hope this helps some of you !!:A
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 December 2013 at 10:51AM
    There is something strange about your calculation - can you link to it?
    It feels a bit like airfreight charges.
    [*]
    Here is a list of relative densities:

Material & Specific Gravity
    Balsa wood 0.2
    Oak wood 0.75
    Ethanol 0.78
    Water 1
    Table salt 2.17
    Aluminium 2.7
    Iron 7.87
    Copper 8.96
    Lead 11.35
    Mercury 13.56
    Depleted uranium 19.1
    Gold 19.3
    Osmium 22.59

This is the traditional explanation of what is called "freight tonnes".

A cubic meter of water weights at tonne. A ship floats by displacing water.
    So if the item floats then it is charge by volume, if it sinks then by weight.

Most parcels incorporating masses of bubble wrap might be acceptable to airlines but would probably float and require the carriage of ballast on a ship.

Now shall we talk about charges by commodity.;) Someone shipping jewellery obviously needs and can afford a "premium service".

Then we could get onto "general average" and numerous other international complexities, without even involving governmental restrictions.

Pork sausages to Mecca anyone?

[*] I think I have found it for you and it is indeed for (intercontinental?) airfreight. using a RO-RO "juggernaut" service, or even a coastal feeder vessel, might cut the price as they use less litres of fuel per tonne mile. Plan ahead & don't buy speed that is not really needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_weight
  • There is something strange about your calculation - can you link to it?
    It feels a bit like airfreight charges.
    [*]
    A cubic meter of water weights at tonne. A ship floats by displacing water.
    So if the item floats then it is charge by volume, if it sinks then by weight.

Most parcels incorporating masses of bubble wrap might be acceptable to airlines but would probably float and require the carriage of ballast on a ship.
    [*] I think I have found it for you and it is indeed for (intercontinental?) airfreight. using a RO-RO "juggernaut" service, or even a coastal feeder vessel, might cut the price as they use less litres of fuel per tonne mile. Plan ahead & don't buy speed that is not really needed.
    This is only really relevant to bulk freight customers.

Nothing strange about the fomula. Your typical one-parcel-at-a-time sender has no control over how it travels. The volume/5000 is commonly used by most carriers for international road/sea and air carriage. Sometimes it's 4000 or 6000, so best to check individual carriers T&Cs.

UK deliveries don't tend to suffer from this but do check dimensional limits.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback