How do I get a € Euro bank account?

Options

Comments

• SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    VeryMan wrote: »
    I don't trust comdirect. I am not gonna deposit them 200k. I trust Barclays and HSBC more.

I have Barclays euro account, is there a reason I would switch to HSBC?
    Comdirect.de is owned by Commerzbank which in turn is partly owned by the German government, there isn't a reason not to trust them tbh.

However if you have 200.000€ then you'd be best off looking at an account in Jersey or even Luxembourg.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SLZ wrote: »
    Comdirect.de is owned by Commerzbank which in turn is partly owned by the German government, there isn't a reason not to trust them tbh.

However if you have 200.000€ then you'd be best off looking at an account in Jersey or even Luxembourg.

Some would say they are German, thats a trust issue right there. Thanks for the info, were they bailed out from the German government like LBG/RBS/Northern(soft)Rock ? Or not ever fully privatised ?
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • SLZ
    Options
    I was talking to someone at DKB this morning and it turns out that you can apply once more from outside of Germany. DKB are preferred if you are looking to open a credit card account with them as they are the main bank of BMW, Hilton HHonors, Lufthansa Miles & More and Mini credit cards.

They're also the most flexible with getting low interest rate loans lower than Comdirect.de and the UK in some instances although Commerzbank is actually the lowest overall rate (if you can go to Germany to open and maintain the account).
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    diamonds wrote: »
    To transfer money to and from your euro Account, call us on *0845 165921 1, or +44 191 541 2009 if you’re calling from abroad.
    FCA regulations effective 26 October 2015 require an 01, 02, 03 or 080 number for contact from existing customers.

Ignore the direction to call the 0191 number if you are abroad. Use that number for all calls.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    FCA regulations effective 26 October 2015 require an 01, 02, 03 or 080 number for contact from existing customers.

Ignore the direction to call the 0191 number if you are abroad. Use that number for all calls.

I already noticed that, left it for Grumbler to pick up on...

Well done Ian ;)
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    How did people here go about the ID proof for Comdirect.de?

My employer's head office is in Germany and any arriving post gets couriered over to the UK for me, so I am able to give a local address. However I have no plans to visit Germany in the near future, so cannot do the Post Office option.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »

My employer's head office is in Germany and any arriving post gets couriered over to the UK for me, so I am able to give a local address. However I have no plans to visit Germany in the near future, so cannot do the Post Office option.

They do it on webcam with a passport.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    diamonds wrote: »
    They do it on webcam with a passport.
    Great. Do you actually have to speak to someone over the webcam? I don't speak German.
  • SLZ
    edited 27 April 2016 at 10:15AM
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »

I did it via PostIndent however there's a new service in which you can do it via webcam, you'll most likely end up speaking to someone in English so there's no need to worry.

Also you don't need a German correspondence address, you can have it all with your English address without issue.

Many Germans don't speak English very well. Comdirect and DKB hire English speakers due to their international clientele. Dealing with companies that I've had to over the last couple of days, no one speaks good English :rotfl:
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SLZ wrote: »
    I did it via PostIndent however there's a new service in which you can do it via webcam, you'll most likely end up speaking to someone in English so there's no need to worry.

Also you don't need a German correspondence address, you can have it all with your English address without issue.

Well that is a bit rude and actually that isn't the reason at all also many Germans don't speak English very well. Comdirect and DKB hire English speakers due to their international clientele. Dealing with companies that I've had to over the last couple of days, no one speaks good English :rotfl:

I meant back then, but it carried on that generation and declined until the EU. I love Germans, they are so open minded most them unlike the upper lip Brits.

When you get a unhelpful germans who pretend the englsh îs the only barrier you appreciate indian call centres :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure