Help - More responsibility in role but same wage?

Hi,

I currently have been in my role for nearly 3 years as a customer service adviser however the responsibilities on my contract do not exactly match my current role. I have a much larger responsibility then the advisers in the department below me.

For example

My role - Plan, communicate, dispatch and manager work loads of over 30 staff members

Adviser role on the floor below me (same company) - Speak to customers, raise jobs and leave the jobs for my role advisers to deal with

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to can ensure that our pay is reflected in our job role even though we have the same title.

The reason why they will not give any of us a new contract is because they want to be able to move us from the department if they wanted too...

Would a union help me in this situation?

Any help would be great

Thank You

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bexs2010 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to can ensure that our pay is reflected in our job role even though we have the same title.

You can ask. If they say yes then great, if they say no then you need to consider if you'll be better off finding another job. You can't however force them to pay you more, assuming you are earning at least minimum wage.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

If you'd joined before the situation arose, maybe.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Most contracts of employment contain a 'catch all' phrase along the lines of 'and such other duties as may be deemed necessary' which covers a situation where the job description doesn't match the work being done.
    As has been said, you can ask.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Unlikely - a union is more likely to demand the same high wage for everyone with the same job title, regardless of the responsibility they have or the effort they put in.

Your choices seem to be to demand your contract (and pay) reflect your responsibilities, or decline those responsibilities as they do not reflect your contract (and pay). Or go for a job in that other department, or indeed another company.

But you have to do it with reference to your contract - merely saying "it's not fair" and comparing it to what you think someone else is paid or does won't work - and you might not be in possession of all of the facts.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Unlikely - a union is more likely to demand the same high wage for everyone with the same job title, regardless of the responsibility they have or the effort they put in.

Your choices seem to be to demand your contract (and pay) reflect your responsibilities, or decline those responsibilities as they do not reflect your contract (and pay). Or go for a job in that other department, or indeed another company.

But you have to do it with reference to your contract - merely saying "it's not fair" and comparing it to what you think someone else is paid or does won't work - and you might not be in possession of all of the facts.
    I agree. And quite rightly that would be the approach of a union. They can't argue that one member (in the same job) works harder than another member (in the same job). And you've obviously asked them to create a new job to reflect your circumstances and they've said no. So that would be the hint to get a better job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure