mobile phone insurance

Options
my son who is at secondary school has an iphone which he bought with with his own money from a reseller as a refurbished unlocked phone. I had to make the actual purchase but he gave me the money
He is named on my phone bill and shares my data and I pay that bill every month and that is working well. I have been trying to figure out how to insure it for him. He would be heartbroken to lose it as it cost him a lot of money. I have looked at standalone insurance/packaged bank accounts but they all have limits on how soon after purchase you need to register the phone for the insurance. I purchased the phone on his behalf in June but as it was not new then can I give that at the purchase date or do they mean the first use date. I don't how old the phone is.

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2017 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Make sure whatever policy you take out covers all refurbs, as a lot of gadget policies exclude this

Whatever policy you take out (if gadget) will also require proof of ownership, so get thinking about a copy of the original receipt if possible.

Debenhams Gadget insurance (I think) should cover both the above - http://docs.debenhamsgadgetinsurance.com/documents/Debenhams_DEPRE-SA201701R8.pdf. Obviously this isn't a personal recommendation etc., just one which may be suitable for your situation. Have a gander yourself and see what there is.
  • Debt_Denier
    Options
    I have the receipt and can get the IMEI numbers or whatever they are called
  • Debt_Denier
    Options
    Just looked at those and you have to be over 16. But thanks for the suggestion
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you not add the phone to your contents insurance?
  • Debt_Denier
    Options
    I would prefer not to as the excess is £100 (the phone cost 365) and it would affect my premium for the next heavens knows how many years if he does lose the phone,
  • Blibble
    Options
    Is self-insurance an option? I.e., rather than paying £5.99 p/m for however many months (or whatever figure it ends up being) could you not put that money away and put it towards a replacement refurbished handset when any issues finally arise?
  • Debt_Denier
    Options
    that might be good and then if he doesn't lose it he could have the money. That might incentivise him to look after the phone,
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree. Dont bother insuring. An incentive not to lose it or break it.

A picture of a cheap £20 phone from a supermarket may also help push that message across. If you break/lose it then thats what your getting as a replacement.

Cheaper than insurance.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mbem
    Options
    I am currently trying to get them to replace my daughter's Iphone which was stolen. I have provided everything but they wont pay out. the issues are proof of purchase (it was a gift) and proof of black listing, it was a sim only contract so Vodafone say they cant black list it and go to Apple. Apple say go to Vodafone. I am having no luck. Went with Debenhams because it was a trusted name but they use Taurus Insurance who are awful (look at trust pilot). I'd steer clear of Debenhams gadget Insurance if I were you, I wish I had.
  • Blibble
    Options
    Vodafone are the ones who need to blacklist the handset and are notoriously naff. They need to log your handset's IMEI on the Central Equipment Identity Register, which is a database full of lost / stolen mobiles. As long as you can reasonably prove to Vodafone you own that IMEI (and are therefore not blacklisting a randomer's handset) then they have an obligation to do this.

What does your policy say about gifted purchases?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure