Email account hacked. Changed password. Anything else?

Lara
Lara Posts: 2,880
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I had an email from a friend and tried to open it but couldn't so left it. I've since had texts and emails from friends and acquaintances (some from years ago) saying they think my account had been hacked. I've been out all day but on return was able to go into my account and change the password. I can't see anything else happening but wouldn't know what to look for anyway. Is there anything else I should do please? Many thanks.

Comments

• SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Sounds like the email from a friend probably wasn't from a friend at all. More likely it was a malicious email containing some kind of virus or dodgy code. By clicking on the email the likelihood is that you've activated the code and infected your computer. Easily done and nothing to be ashamed about, although you need to act fast to prevent fraudulent activity in your name...

Assuming you are using a web based email service such as Gmail or Hotmail / Live / Outlook, the first thing I would do is to change the password AGAIN but using a DIFFERENT computer. The reason being is that if you have a key logging virus on your PC, it will have already recorded your revised password and sent it back home.

Secondly I would perform a virus scan with an up to date anti virus programme. I actually quite like cloud based solutions such as Trend Micro's House Call. Google it. It works well.
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks SouthUkMan. It was from a friend who received it from her son and so the story goes on. I opened it on my iPad but couldn't get anywhere. Obviously I tripped the virus and it appears to have gone to my contacts. I changed the password from my PC so hopefully it has stopped it. I had an email from my current server, aol, telling me I had violated my account.

I don't know what else I can do on my iPad. Hopefully changing the password is enough. I changed it on my PC and then had to do the same on my iPad although I waited a little time before doing that.

I'll go and do a virus scan on my PC now! Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure