Old N Power debt - possible back billing issue

Options
Hi All

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Past Due Credit Solutions requesting payment of just over £1.5k for an account with n power at a property I lived in for 18 months between 2010 and 2012.

Firstly the dates of the account are incorrect and are for a further 2 months after I moved out, secondly this is the first I heard that I owed them any money.

I was paying previously via a DD from a bank account I closed sometime ago, it's going to take me a while to track down my payment history so I would like to push the ball into their court for now.

I sent the DCA a "prove it" letter that was slightly modified given this was an energy account and not a credit agreement. Today I have received a response from the DCA requesting that I confirm I lived at or owned the property in question, the dates which I resided there and my date of birth. These are all for data protection reasons apparently.

They have not provided any proof that I owe this debt so I'm not sure where to go to now. I don't want to go down the back billing route yet as I have not seen a statement from n power so feel it would be too early to do so.

Any suggestions on what my reply should be at this point? Clearly I don't really want to give them any of the details they have requested, I don't see why I should and given in their initial letter they already gave me the alleged debt amount, account numbers, my full name, etc it seems a bit late to be bringing up the data protection act now. I'm particularly suspicious of them asking for me to confirm I lived at the property. Surely they suspect I did or they wouldn't be chasing me for money!

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

They can't confirm your identity to send you proof, but they are so sure they have the right person they have written to you demanding payment ?

Well that doesn't make sense does it ?

Write back telling them the above, and if they are so sure they have the right person either provide the proof requested or don't contact you again about the matter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SirChenJin wrote: »
    Hi All

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Past Due Credit Solutions requesting payment of just over £1.5k for an account with n power at a property I lived in for 18 months between 2010 and 2012.

Firstly the dates of the account are incorrect and are for a further 2 months after I moved out, secondly this is the first I heard that I owed them any money.

I was paying previously via a DD from a bank account I closed sometime ago, it's going to take me a while to track down my payment history so I would like to push the ball into their court for now.

I sent the DCA a "prove it" letter that was slightly modified given this was an energy account and not a credit agreement. Today I have received a response from the DCA requesting that I confirm I lived at or owned the property in question, the dates which I resided there and my date of birth. These are all for data protection reasons apparently.

They have not provided any proof that I owe this debt so I'm not sure where to go to now. I don't want to go down the back billing route yet as I have not seen a statement from n power so feel it would be too early to do so.

Any suggestions on what my reply should be at this point? Clearly I don't really want to give them any of the details they have requested, I don't see why I should and given in their initial letter they already gave me the alleged debt amount, account numbers, my full name, etc it seems a bit late to be bringing up the data protection act now. I'm particularly suspicious of them asking for me to confirm I lived at the property. Surely they suspect I did or they wouldn't be chasing me for money!

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello SirChenJin

Thank you for your post.

If you can please email the address shown in our signature with your old address / account number, we will look into where this balance has come from and, if necessary, see if we can put a plan into place.

Thanks

Beth :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • SirChenJin
    Options
    Thanks Sour, that's my plan. I can't really see where we can go from here to be honest. I really don't understand why the DCA are asking for this info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure