Sentinel (AI Scheme) compensation help guide

Comments

• Shirl63
    Shirl63 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had my cheque sent to the wrong address. The cheque was sent back to AI uncashed. I wrote to AI and they said it was too late, I am now pursuing them through the Financial Ombudsman who say it will take up to 6 months!!!

Sorry I have replied to this thread as I don't understand how to start a new one:

Anyway here's my predicament =

I applied for AI Scheme Compensation (back in January) and have just rung them to ask what happened to my application. Apparently, they accepted my application and issued a cheque which I never received and they now say as the cheque expired after 6 months then 'that's it, I'm too late'

Has anyone else experienced this and anyone have any advice on how to get my compensation

Thanks
  • Sweetsweep
    Sweetsweep Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 26 February 2017 at 9:25PM
    Hi, I don't think I have a hope here, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I had Sentinel protection for years. Unfortunately my claim letter arrived while several major family crises were occurring, in addition we were had moved to rented accommodation for six month following a house fire. Both my parents died shortly before the deadline and as executor and only child I was knee deep in paper work. As luck would have it I found the letter and sent it off the weekend before the deadline and I reckon that it probably arrived the day after the deadline. I only realised while reading the threads that there was an exceptional cases extension, which of course I've missed as well. Is there anything I can do or shall I just write it off as one of life's little jokes?
  • Sweetsweep wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do or shall I just write it off ?
    You are long out of time, the scheme closed almost a year ago (18th March 2016) and even the "exceptional" cases deadline was almost six months ago (19th September 2016).

You really needed to reply to the 2 or 3 letters sent out to all holders of the policy. Writing to them now will be futile unless you can show very exceptional reasons why you haven't before now.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/Sentinel-Affinion-card-protection
  • Is there any traction in the fact that I wasn't told that there was an exceptional cases extension even though I did get the letter in, albeit a few hours late?
  • Sweetsweep wrote: »
    Is there any traction in the fact that I wasn't told that there was an exceptional cases extension
    You are long out of time, the scheme closed almost a year ago (18th March 2016) and even the "exceptional" cases deadline was almost six months ago (19th September 2016).

You really needed to reply to the 2 or 3 letters sent out to all holders of the policy. Writing to them now will be futile unless you can show very exceptional reasons why you haven't before now.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/Sentinel-Affinion-card-protection
  • FIRST QUESTION: How do I start a new thread lol!!

I made a successful claim through the AI scheme in 2015 which reclaimed money paid out after 2005 and it is only now after reading a link on MSE that it says you could reclaim Pre-2005 too!

I had Sentinel card protection for many years, how long exactly I do not know but I bet its easily another 10 to 15 years prior to 2005.

I have downloaded the template letter from MSE for Sentinel but am not sure where to send it as the instructions state name of bank plus it mentions enclose copies of statements which I never had!

This protection was with Sentinel only and nothing to do with any of my banks and it renewed automatic each year.

Any help would be welcome!
  • My sister died in August 2015. She had accounts with Barclays. Going through some papers, I have found a letter dated September 2015 relating to a claim about repayment for the AI Sentinel scheme.

Now, I realise that the deadline for this has long past, but is there anything I can do? I am the executor of her estate.
  • gongoozler
    gongoozler Posts: 20 Forumite
    No dispute my father in law (deceased) was entitled to a refund, but claim rejected and appeal rejected as A1 denied they had had the forms in time (and they say they have destroyed the death certificate sent to them) I mean, he's (his widow is) due it there's no doubt on that but the timing was apparently wrong................??!!
  • *Rainbow*Warrior*
    *Rainbow*Warrior* Posts: 355 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2018 at 3:17PM
    Probably a stupid question, but better to ask than always wonder, I suppose :o

My Dad passed away in Jan 2015. We received a letter from the AI Scheme people a few months after that. It said no action required. To be honest, I wasn't in a fit state to do anything anyway. I won't bore you with the details but losing my parents has sent me into a spiral of depression and anxiety and I've been too unwell to cope with a lot of this stuff.

So I re-found the letter yesterday, and now it looks like I have missed the deadline and can't claim for Dad's Sentinel policy.

Does anyone know if there is anyone else I could claim from? Can I claim directly from Sentinel, or from the credit card provider?

Thanks in advance, and please don't yell at me for missing the deadline, I just wasn't in a fit state to deal with stuff. Thanks :)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pobably a stupid question, but better to ask than always wonder, I suppose :o

My Dad passed away in Jan 2015. We received a letter from the AI Scheme people a few months after that. It said no action required. To be honest, I wasn't in a fit state to do anything anyway. I won't bore you with the details but losing my parents has sent me into a spiral of depression and anxiety and I've been too unwell to cope with a lot of this stuff.

So I re-found the letter yesterday, and now it looks like I have missed the deadline and can't claim for Dad's Sentinel policy.

Does anyone know if there is anyone else I could claim from? Can I claim directly from Sentinel, or from the credit card provider?

Thanks in advance, and please don't yell at me for missing the deadline, I just wasn't in a fit state to deal with stuff. Thanks :)

The scheme is now closed, pre-2005 is on the link below

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/Sentinel-Affinion-card-protection/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure