The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

best time to buy reduced food in supermarkets ...

13»

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I had to drop my daughter home and she needed to pop in the Tesco near her so I went in with her.

It was 7.00pm at the back of the store they had a system organised where they let a few people in at a time, no trolleys allowed, and they could pick up what they want.

They had bags of carrots for 2p potatoes for 8p strawberries 20p. Bread 3p a loaf and loads of other stuff really cheap and it was all very fresh although obviously dated that day.

Never seen such a system before but it seemed to work.

They do this at the huge Mr T closest to where I live, apparently after somebody got injured in a scrum :eek:

I have a small Mr T near me (open until 11pm) and their final reductions are done at 7.30pm, the large Sainsbugs also reduce at the same time (everything 20p regardless of what it cost originally.)

I don't know why people are shy of asking one of the staff what time the final reductions are, they are always happy to tell you?
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

someone who got this down to a fine art is Ilona, in fact she was on TV showcasing her art :D

Ooops, missed this, ha ha. I still live mainly on yellow stickers, have saved a fortune, money to spend on treats going out, nice car, holidays etc. Some good tips above, each supermarket is different regarding best times to go. You need to visit at different times, chat to the staff, ask them what times they start marking down.

I go to mainly Tesco because it's nearest, I know the staff, built up a friendly rapport with them, all nice and chatty. Last markdown is 7pm so I go at 6.45pm and watch what is happening. Three stickers and that's as low as it gets, 75% off. If I go earlier and they haven't done the last markdown I have to wait and see what comes out on the trolley. 3pm on a Sunday is a good time to go.

I have been in Asda at 9pm, passing when I have been somewhere else, and had a surprise, everything marked down to 2p, yep, only 2p.

So, stalk out your local supermarket, resist the temptation of driving around them all in a frenzy just to grab a bargain. Don't waste money on petrol.

I have a video on yooootooob. if you put in Meanqueen Superscrimper in the search you will find all of them.

Not sure if I can put a link in here but here goes.
    https://youtu.be/hPWsCitjpJg

Happy yellow sticker hunting.
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business