Going to tribunal for PIP

Options
Has anyone done this? was it stressful? did you have to go to court?
Did you fill in the form or just send a letter with more evidence?

My new MS nurse has advised i go to tribunal and is writing me a strong worded letter to send along with my request. I'm nervous but really pleased that she is supporting me and encouraging me.
i didnt have this for my mandatory reconsideration as my nurse retired and this one has just started.

I really really don't want to go to court and the form says you can tick that you don't want to so i will do that.

any advice? do i write the letter the same as like i did for mandatory reconsideration?
Does it take months to get to court?
Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be honest I'd stick with your other thread... people will lose facts of your case to help.. I'll post there.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Profligate
    Profligate Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Cantcope

I think you need to send the SSCS1 form if you want to lodge an appeal. You can then send further supporting evidence if you have it, or further thoughts about why/where you score more points.
    Your Mandatory Reconsideration letter should tell you what you need to do.

It's great that your MS nurse is supporting you - if she can write a really focussed letter, detailing exactly what your care needs are, what you can/can't do, the adaptions you make to cope etc - and all in relation to the daily living activity and mobility descriptors, that could be really helpful.

Regarding going to tribunal or having a paper decision - stats show that people who attend in person generally get better results, but only you know how difficult it will (or won't ) be for you to attend in person.

Advicenow have a good leaflet about the PIP appeal - have a read :
    http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

Good luck
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you. I used the took on advice now for a start on my mandatory reconsideration letter.
    I'm hoping my MS nurse is going to write ger letter focussing on the descriptors. shes seen my mandatory reconsideration letter so knows what points i have disagreed with and she is also disagreeing with them. And more :/
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    cantcope wrote: »
    Thank you. I used the took on advice now for a start on my mandatory reconsideration letter.
    I'm hoping my MS nurse is going to write ger letter focussing on the descriptors. shes seen my mandatory reconsideration letter so knows what points i have disagreed with and she is also disagreeing with them. And more :/
    She sounds worth her weight in gold... definitely sounds like she'll be useful.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Not attending the tribunal hearing makes a successful outcome much less probable.
    You don't get a chance to explain your limitations, or to correct some of the inaccuracies in the assessment.
    It's not a court, you are not on trail.
    The tribunal's job is to decide if the DWP made the correct decision or not.
    Your verbal evidence will be very important when the panel members are weighing up the relative strength of the evidence before them in order to come to a decision.

Have a careful read though the How to win a PIP appeal guide. There is some very useful info there.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I sent off form, letter and evidence for my appeal on Monday. My MS nurse said i did not need to attend the hearing and none of her patients have needed to either but have received favourable outcomes.
    So now the wait.. i am not expecting good things but i cannot just sit back and let them call me a liar without standing up for myself!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cantcope wrote: »
    I sent off form, letter and evidence for my appeal on Monday. My MS nurse said i did not need to attend the hearing and none of her patients have needed to either but have received favourable outcomes.
    So now the wait.. i am not expecting good things but i cannot just sit back and let them call me a liar without standing up for myself!
    Alice is correct, appearing at the Tribunal in person does make the outcome more favourable to you. If there's any way possible that you can attend the hearing i strongly advice you to do this. I've heard of a lot of outcomes being negative for those that don't attend than those that do.
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Alice is correct, appearing at the Tribunal in person does make the outcome more favourable to you. If there's any way possible that you can attend the hearing i strongly advice you to do this. I've heard of a lot of outcomes being negative for those that don't attend than those that do.

But we don''t know how many of them would of won if they turned up. or ones that won may of lost if they didn't turn up.
  • Muttleythefrog
    edited 30 June 2017 at 8:59PM
    Options
    dave030445 wrote: »
    But we don''t know how many of them would of won if they turned up. or ones that won may of lost if they didn't turn up.
    Must admit I haven't seen recent PIP figures but historically the DLA data was compelling... in that those attending did far better than paper based appeal. I can't think of any significant variables that could apply to explain the disparity such as those attending being much more likely to win anyway so I think we can remove your concern in general... in that yes we don't know.. but we can probably assume those attending and those not attending on average have similar chances to win. But all this this shouldn't be surprising since I understand study showed DLA panel members strongly felt they gained information that was helpful and that they became more confident in their decision. In this case it sounds like they have an excellent supporter providing tailored evidence which might be compelling... we'll see.

Would be interested if anyone can find PIP stats on appeals relating to this as a general guide.
  • tyler2027
    tyler2027 Posts: 67 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2017 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Must admit I haven't seen recent PIP figures.............. Would be interested if anyone can find PIP stats on appeals relating to this as a general guide.

Does this help?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/pip_appeals_paper_and_oral

Scroll to near bottom of page, date 30th june, should be two attatchments, click top one labelled table final.xls. Once up, click the expand tab on the right, then it brings it up so you can zoom in

Regards,
    T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family