Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Judi wrote: »
    Yes thats what happens to me, and gives me open and blocked pores. My skin hates moisturisers and serums.... ive tried hundreds.

Just dont get me started on SPF for the face.

Not mse at all:o but this Clarins serum is fantastic. http://www.clarins.co.uk/30-ml/C010408020.html
    If you have a Clarins counter near you then ask them for a sample.

Pleased to say that the Aldi Caviar day cream is SPF15.
  • maman
    jhgkp wrote: »
    Is it just my Lidl or am I losing my favourite.

I am diabetic and I try so hard to watch what I eat. For the past couple of years I have been enjoying their Greek Yogurt (full fat as it has less sugar than low fat). I used to get their big tubs 1kg (brilliant for the week), now its 500g tubs (ok) but I only sometimes find 1 in every 20 pots. They do have wee pots (125g approx.) but I can't put my fruit in them for taking to work. Usually put the yogurt in another container with fruit. The smaller pots I don't scrape it out as well.

Any advice?

Not sure if you have a store nearby but they have 500g tubs in Aldi. I bought some this week to have with strawberries.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Lidl's XXL week has 1L bottles of Cien shower gel for 99p. I've never used it before but am sure it does the job.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    I tried the Lidl Simply Scrumptious muesli (last weekend's offer, blue bag) as a midnight snack yesterday. It is indeed delicious, choc full of both fruit and whole nuts and miles better than Alpen sugar-free.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I took a casual look around Morrisons today, having a £5 voucher to spend. I really, really struggled to find anything in the store that was cheaper or better value than the A&L equivalents.

In short, the answer to "what is a good buy in Aldi or Lidl" is... almost everything. :)

I've just watched Supershoppers and they found that the big brands in Lidl/Aldi can be more expensive than other supermarkets. Examples were Heinz beans and 73% of branded confectionary such as Mars. I appreciate a lot of savvy MSE shoppers may not buy the big brands in discount supermarkets but thought people should realise. ;)
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    candygirl wrote: »
    I went to ALDI today, n bought the usual stuff, but git persuaded to by the toastie pockets. I will report back, lol 😂

How much are they please. I get the Warbutons ones which you can usually get a pack of 4 for £1 although Asda doing 2 packs for £1.50 at the moment.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2017 at 11:47PM
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    How much are they please. I get the Warbutons ones which you can usually get a pack of 4 for £1 although Asda doing 2 packs for £1.50 at the moment.

Will try n root out my receipt, but 59p springs to mind :)Just looked n they were 99p , got mixed up with something else ��
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I've just watched Supershoppers and they found that the big brands in Lidl/Aldi can be more expensive than other supermarkets. Examples were Heinz beans and 73% of branded confectionary such as Mars. I appreciate a lot of savvy MSE shoppers may not buy the big brands in discount supermarkets but thought people should realise. ;)

I saw this and we did think it was slightly odd comparing Mars bar prices per 100g rather than per bar. I know that the bars were all different sizes, but i wouldn't eat 100g of a mars bar, but rather 1 bar, whatever the size, in which case Asda 10 pack was the cheapest, not Sainsburys. And eating a smaller bar is healthier too! Having said that, I usually buy Aldi or Lidl own versions for the kids anyway.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • maman
    2childmum wrote: »
    I saw this and we did think it was slightly odd comparing Mars bar prices per 100g rather than per bar. I know that the bars were all different sizes, but i wouldn't eat 100g of a mars bar, but rather 1 bar, whatever the size, in which case Asda 10 pack was the cheapest, not Sainsburys. And eating a smaller bar is healthier too! Having said that, I usually buy Aldi or Lidl own versions for the kids anyway.

I think the idea of comparing cost per 100g is to work out value for money. But you are right that it's not always the healthiest way to do it as you could be encouraged to eat a bigger bar. I suppose it's a bit like BOFOF which encourages you to buy more which can encourage waste or being greedy.

Personally I wouldn't buy branded goods in Aldi or Lidl unless I was confident it was the best price. Hovis 400g loaves are IIRC 75p in Aldi but I know I can buy 2 for £1 in Farmfoods. I know I could buy own brand cheaper but then I'd eat more bread.

Isn't shopping complicated??? :D
  • VfM4meplse
    maman wrote: »
    I think the idea of comparing cost per 100g is to work out value for money.
    It was embarrassing to watch the presenters imply the cost/weight calculation was complex!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure