Boost Your Airmiles Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are not Airmiles, they are Virgin Flyer miles!!

What are or aren't ???
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • basiaking
    Options
    Do not exchange your Tesco Clubcard vouchers for airmiles! Use them for Tesco deals instead. For example a Tesco clubcard voucher worth £2.50 can be exchanged for 60 airmiles (monetary value of approximately £4.68), however, if exchanged for a clubcard deal this would be worth £10.
  • Rhysie
    Options
    I shop at tesco and use all their other collection partners to boost my balance;

I use the TSB Amex card wherever possible and if they don't except that I use my Tesco credit card. I pay for all my bills with the credit cards, online you can set up paying your utillity bills with a credit card. Once I tried paying my council tax with my tesco card, they accepted but I decided it was too much of a hassle to pay every month. I might next year pay the whole year in one go on my amex card if they accept it.

I also get my lunch from tesco whilst at work, but I don't use my clubcard instead I take out a new clubcard and get a bonus 150 clubcard points. At the end of the month I merge the accounts together. I don't do all the time but it does give me a couple hundred airmiles a month extra.

I also switch between powergen and sse every 3 months. Powergen gives 1000 clubcard points and sse give 350 airmiles on joining although last time I got 700 airmiles.

I did get my pertol at Tesco but now shell will rollover points to the next quarter (you used to lose them if you didn't meet the threshold) so I shop there getting v power so getting double points. (Tesco is still the better option if you don't spend enough on fuel).

I also did all my christmas shopping online through the airmiles online shopping portal. I get emails occasionally offering double miles. so it's well worth signing up for their marketing.

Now Airmiles have their zone flights I booked for my whole family 2 adults and 3 kids all inclusive to Florida for just a 9 months worth of collection. I then bought the hotel with cash and got milesback. So next year I should have enough to take the family to sydney.

I'll always book through Airmiles travel centre with my credit card anyway because they will price match and they don't charge a credit card booking fee. So usually works out cheaper, especially when you get milesback.
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Hey all, I've just read the article attached to this forum and am confused. I love travelling so thought it would be a great idea to save up airmiles for some free flights somewhere. As a result I applied and got a Llloyds TSB credit card duo (mainly for the 1500 free miles offer) and am considering using the Amex card to earn more miles too. I've also been cashing in Tesco clubcard vouchers for airmiles to earn even more but not unsure whether it's worth using airmiles for flights.

Is there any advice out there? Are there any better points schemes were flights can be bought with the points?

Thanks in advance! :)
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • Rhysie
    Options
    Gambit wrote: »
    Is there any advice out there? Are there any better points schemes were flights can be bought with the points?

Thanks in advance! :)

No there is no other travel reward scheme better, for £37.5 in clucard vouchers you can get a flight that would cost £100 on easyjet. Not only that it's going to be a British Airways flight, with food and free alcohol.
  • PrincessTaylor
    Options
    cani i convert airmiles to baa worldpoints? or does it just work the other way around?
    Nicotine Free as of 17th December 06 :j
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Rhysie wrote: »
    No there is no other travel reward scheme better, for £37.5 in clucard vouchers you can get a flight that would cost £100 on easyjet. Not only that it's going to be a British Airways flight, with food and free alcohol.

Is it worth using the Lloyds TSB credit card though? Or are cash back cards better value for money??
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • digiland_2
    Options

I also get my lunch from tesco whilst at work, but I don't use my clubcard instead I take out a new clubcard and get a bonus 150 clubcard points. At the end of the month I merge the accounts together. I don't do all the time but it does give me a couple hundred airmiles a month extra.

How exactly do you do this? Didn't think it was possible.
    Do you merge the accounts online?
  • VeryTrying_2
    Options
    Not only that it's going to be a British Airways flight, with food and free alcohol.

The fact that it's BA has always prevented me using my airmiles. I'd go to great lengths NOT to fly British Airways - but obviously not as far as refusing a free flight!

But, I've just found that if you select your flight date, time and route you can get lucky and book with a codesharer. I've just booked a great flight with Emirates, and don't know why I didn't think of this years ago.

• snigbob
    Options
    VeryTrying suggests using a *codeshare* flight. I understand what one is...however how can you tell if it will be one or not?

Is there a cross reference website or anything like that to use as a comparison to check the (presumably BA) flight?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure