Spares or Repair 'Etiquette'

Hello,

So I've sold a few things in the past as 'spares or repairs' on eBay. The whole term spares or repairs, suggests such item is in a state that it can be repaired, or be used as spares if one desires. Usually to me, a spares or repair item is an item that someone has broken but made no attempt to fix.

So I bought something spares or repair. However, the item that arrived has clearly already had someone have a go at repairing it. They've tried..... failed (probably due to lack of knowledge or skills) and because of that, it's going to take a lot more effort to repair it now, if it can be done. There does appear to be some lasting damage for sure.

So are people expected to be honest about spares and repairs? Or is it just a method of getting rid of items they've had a go at hacking up?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If I was buying from spares or repairs I would ask a lot of questions of it wasn't obvious in the listing. Selling spares or repairs is difficult as one person's "minor fault" is another's "massive failure".

People should be honest and I don't view "having had a go at repairing" something as dishonest, perhaps they should have said so in the listing, but you can't expect someone to be able to repair a listing in that category necessarily.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    If I was buying from spares or repairs I would ask a lot of questions of it wasn't obvious in the listing. Selling spares or repairs is difficult as one person's "minor fault" is another's "massive failure".

People should be honest and I don't view "having had a go at repairing" something as dishonest, perhaps they should have said so in the listing, but you can't expect someone to be able to repair a listing in that category necessarily.

That's the point, there's clearly been no mention of this.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Stoke wrote: »
    That's the point, there's clearly been no mention of this.

If there is no mention of it, perhaps it may have been prudent to ask, particularly if you were trying to repair the item rather than use the bits to make your own work?

Unfortunately with eBay sellers (particularly private ones) you need to ask any question that's relevant to you if it isn't in the listing.

Are you wanting to return it? You could ask the seller if you can, or perhaps ask them for a part refund. But for spares/repairs I would say it's caveat emptor.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

To me "spares and repairs" means "broken".
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

Same here, also to me 'untested' means broken as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    If in doubt, ask before you bid (hindsight is a wonderful thing...).
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I'm much more cynical.

To me, "spares and repairs" (or "untested") means not only "broken" but also "I've either tried to fix it myself, or brought it to a repair person, and it's beyond economic repair".
    Philip
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yep, even more cynical. Spares or repairs or untested = i was going to throw this into the bin but thought someone on ebay may give me money for it.

Spares or repairs is far to open for interpretation.

Im sure someone somewhere could fix it. Would it be cost effective to repair? Maybe not. But almost everythings fixable.

Even if i were not so cynical, i would not assume a spares or repairs item may not have had a repair attempted at some point. Like yourself the seller may have bought it spares and repairs and it was beyong their scope for repair so sold it on.

You bought it thinking the same. And it sounds like its above your scope also. But someone will buy it and think thats easy or swap parts from several faulty ones to make one good one.

Ive had a circuit board that failed and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Its sat in a box for almost a year and then whilst working on something else it clicked what it maybe, and sure enough it was and easily fixed once you know what to look for.

I presume the item has some working parts you could use to make a good item from several faulty ones?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Regarding going for a refund? No. I don't see the point really. I have the item now and there's too much effort involved returning it. I might as well proceed with fixing it (I already have done).

Personally, if I was to list something spares/repair, I might be tempted to say "I had an attempt at fixing this but was unable to". There are experts out there who will know better than me at the item I am selling, just as I am probably more skilled at fixing/repairing the item I have purchased. There's no shame in admitting it, so perhaps it's more about convincing people they're getting a 'non-touched' spares item.

Anyway, good to see healthy debate is alive and well :)
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Funnily enough, the majority of "faulty" or "untested" items I've bought from eBay over the years have actually worked just fine...

The description usually seems to refer to stuff that's a bit tatty where the seller can't guarantee it'll work 100% so just sells it as-is.

Only a small minority have been fundamentally b0rked, and even then I've only had a single case of something that's been fiddled with.

Most recent 'score' was a "dead", fairly high-end record deck from the 1980s. It came with an expensive cartridge, had clearly been stored in a garage for years but works just fine, just needed a good clean. £200 worth for £8.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure