PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Just did a count up from my food purse, and still have £87.14 left to last till the end of the month.Been really good this month, and using up lots of stuff from the freezer and store cupboards. What's left over will go into my holiday fund for this August.I did have lots of tins of biscuits and cakes and stuff as presents for some reason so those have come in very handy plus of course lots of thick soups from veggies in my SC
  • I just realised that I haven't had to go food shopping in two weeks! :j
  • Went to Wilkinsons and total forgot about the challenge until I reached the bus stop.
    I spent £15.81 on cleaning stuff and a £1.49 meal deal. I was going to a club who didn't know I was vegetarian. Should of saved my money as the bus was very late which didn't make it worthwhile to go to the club. Also went to M&S and bought a 59p orange. Also paid the milkman £4.06.
    I'm planning on using up what I have left in the cupboards to reduce overspend but overspend I will. My daughter wants hot dinners next week so thats £9.50 and I will have to get fresh fruit and bread and pay the milkman. So I'm hoping the overspend will be under £30.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 January 2010 at 1:01AM
    TheBees wrote: »
    As requested, here is the recipe for self saucing chocolate pudding - found in a magazine a few years ago. ...
    TheBees wrote: »
    Oops sorry wrong recipe

Fudge Tart from School recipes.co.uk ... .

both recipes in the front page index, thanks :cool:
    Moniker wrote: »
    .. Moniker's Honey and Orange Chicken ...
    is in the index too, thanks Moniker!

Great to see you back MrsMC :hello: Helen has done a great job for us :A
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi all
    Just updating sig. I've decided to try to last until the end of the month without a delivery but I've had to book a T*sco one for 31/1 because the coupons I got for their earlier no-shows expire then. This will go in the Feb budget.
    So this morning I'm going to see what's left and revamp my meal plan. Would love an underspend this month but musn't speak too soon!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, tips and advice. I really wish it was the end of the month already so I could start joining in for Feb! Need to try and come up with a budget figure to aim for first though, I've never properly tracked how much we (OH, me and 2 house bunnies) spend on groceries so I'll need to estimate a realistic figure....hmmm.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, tips and advice. I really wish it was the end of the month already so I could start joining in for Feb! Need to try and come up with a budget figure to aim for first though, I've never properly tracked how much we (OH, me and 2 house bunnies) spend on groceries so I'll need to estimate a realistic figure....hmmm.
    When I started I tried to remember my last 2 weeks shopping bills to get an average and multiplied the amount by 4 or 5 depending on whether it was a four or five week month if you know what I mean :rotfl:

I was waaaaaay out though and was spending upto £600 a month :eek: It wasn't the actual supermarket trips that were denting the budget it was all the nip ins during the week for something I needed and instead of just getting milk, for example, I'd see loads of 'bargains' and stock up whether I needed it or not :o Once I got this under control, by only going into the supermarket once a week or only taking enough money out for whatever I need, and the brilliant help on here I have nearly cut this in half :)

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in February's challenge. Do have a look at the first 3 posts on the thread as theres an explanation of how it works & lots of brilliant recipes from post 3 onwards :T
  • Hi

Like miss_cupcake, i have been following this thread for the past few weeks and i am looking forward to joining the Feb Challenge!:j

I have been watching what i spend for the past 6 months or so (after making the decision to get rid of the debts we have accumulated over the past 5 years whilst i have been a SAHM)

Over the past few weeks i have been reading all your posts and have already picked up lots of get tips and the motivation to plan meals more. Thank you!:T

Look forward to getting to now you all better!
    Debts @ 20-04-14 = £10,987
  • SunnyGirl wrote: »
    When I started I tried to remember my last 2 weeks shopping bills to get an average and multiplied the amount by 4 or 5 depending on whether it was a four or five week month if you know what I mean :rotfl:

I was waaaaaay out though and was spending upto £600 a month :eek: It wasn't the actual supermarket trips that were denting the budget it was all the nip ins during the week for something I needed and instead of just getting milk, for example, I'd see loads of 'bargains' and stock up whether I needed it or not :o Once I got this under control, by only going into the supermarket once a week or only taking enough money out for whatever I need, and the brilliant help on here I have nearly cut this in half :)

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in February's challenge. Do have a look at the first 3 posts on the thread as theres an explanation of how it works & lots of brilliant recipes from post 3 onwards :T

That's good advice, thanks :) I'll have a read of the earlier posts so I'm fully prepared for Feb :beer:
  • Been to Mr S today.

Spent £44.53.

Will update sig in a mo.

Have quite a bit in. Have menu planned till Sun & need to do another menu plan for next week.

Lisa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport