Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan

Options

Comments

• Miss_Poohs
    Miss_Poohs Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wee heid is fried here!!!

I was impressed with the cool/heat fan thingie the OP is referring to.

Pricey - well yes, but you can't take it with you when you pop.

Dyson vacuums are the dogs b*ll*oks :)
    Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - Drag them down to your level - it's cheaper . :p:D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're going on about. Energy is considered "lost" or "wasted" when it is not in the form you want. A lightbulb is designed to produce light, so any energy it releases in the form of heat is considered waste. There is no redefinition here - if only 80% of the energy consumed by the bulb is emitted as light then it is considered 80% efficient. Not sure why you're struggling with this concept.

If a halogen heater is emitting light then of course it is not 100% efficient. The way your quote describes it implies a blazing blinding light warms everything, which is clearly not the case. There is mainly heat and some light.

I presume halogen heaters are generally more efficient than oil radiators though but again, we're talking about one specific point in the chain. If you consider the electricity being generated by the power plant too then the oil radiator probably works out as more efficient.

In the case of the halogen heater, of course you could say you want the light too...but then you can say that about anything. You could say a fanless PC is (nearly) 100% efficient if it's cold and you like the heat being emitted, etc.

I just wanted to preserve this gem of a post.
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Nonsense. Electrical elements emit light, have you never looked inside an electric oven?
    Indeed.

But what happens to that light. inside a closed oven?

What happens to the light if it gets outside the oven via the open door?

What happens to that light when it hits anything other than a perfect mirror?
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    I was amazed at the force of (very) hot air that was expelled by it / through it.

Sadly that's also its downfall - it is much too noisy to use in say a bedroom or lounge if you want to sleep or listen to music or TV.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Martois
    Options
    I read with interest the ongoing argument in this old post over the Dyson Hot n Cold Air Multiplier Fan and its efficiency.

The thread led to all sorts of enthusiastic banter regarding the laws of thermo dynamics which made me chuckle but unfortunately nothing was resolved by that ego bating, I found this of interest, make of it what you will for all those who wanted closure:

Note I can't post the link but copy / paste the following into google:

dyson-hot-review-a-scientific-approach
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2015 at 2:36PM
    Options
    Warm Air (dyson expensive heating machine) verses
    Radiant Heat (Electric bar heater or halogen heater)

Warm Air(dyson expensive heating machine
    Hot air rises. Therefore the ceiling of a home/workshop heated with warm air will be substantially hotter than the living/working area beneath. Poor roof insulation, a common problem in older buildings, will allow this heat to escape, further increasing fuel costs

Radiant Heat (Electric bar heater or halogen heater)
    .Radiant heating minimizes roof heat losses. By keeping the heat at floor level and around the objects to be heated, the temperature at the ceiling level becomes cooler and substantially reduces the heat loss
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    heres some more quotes
    Forced air warms the air, radiant heat warms objects and air.
    Some are more efficient than others by design, by fuel and by installer experience, each has its own merits.
    I personally use forced air but prefer the feel of radiant as it doesn't just warm the air but it also warms objects in a space...it tends to envelope a person where forced warms only the air, that is why on bitter cold days forced air will feel warm for a short time then the cold seems to ooze through the walls, this because the forced air has removed the moisture from the air where radiant does not...and moisture in air is a good thing as it acts like a kind of molecular binder or glue.
    Ok, now that your eyes have glazed over and your head just smacked the desktop then you have to ask the real question, how weathertight is your home?
    This alone can make or break the best heating system.
    I guess it all comes down to doing your homework to get the best for you.
    I have to admit though, Rivergirl100 makes some very good points that should be considered as well.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Michaela76
    Options
    I think you are all missing the point when it comes to efficiency

A fan heater can never be 100% efficient

It has moving parts which by definition require energy to make it move

It is a fan so it will make noise - more energy losses

So basically it cant be 100% efficient in terms of heating because you are already using some of the energy to run the fan - energy to overcome the electrical resistance of the cables
    and energy losses in sound and light

£400 price tag - definitely not good value for money as a heating appliance

If you are loaded with cash and can afford £400 for this heater - you dont need to worry about the cost of running it - A bit like buying a 4L car and complaining about the cost of Tax, Fuel and Insurance really
  • Neonnadge
    Options
    I own a Dyson Pure Hot and Cool Link. It was £500 and I love it. It's safer than conventional heaters especially around children. It monitors and automatically purify's the air in my flat. It heats the entire flat quickly and switches its heater off when at the required temperature is met. No more convention heaters for me. It's also pretty to look at. I am a dyson fan (excuse the pun) have had a lot of there products over the years and will keep paying there prices for these devices. The standard, quality and support is excellent. Next on my list the hair dryer. 😁 ( I also don't work for Dyson)
  • ncvireland
    Options
    SFAIK this item does not purify air in any way. I base this on the fact that there are no filters fitted. It circulates the ambient air in which it operates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure