Add your feedback on energy supplier Spark

Comments

• Methusela
    Methusela Posts: 56 Forumite
    I have just used the energy comparison site and was informed that my savings would be around £222 per annum with Spark Energy. I went direct to the Spark energy website and did the exact same comparison with exact same figures and the saving for the exact same deal came up as £17 per annum. So be careful to double check all the figures before you decide on proceeding with a change as all may not be as it appears!!

Did you go direct to the Spark website or use the link given by Martin? If you went direct you probably were looking at the wrong tariff, which is why your comparison didn't match up. Martin's link to Spark usually takes you to the "Spark Advance" tariff which is their cheapest although it requires you to make one month's payment up-front.

This tariff is not easy to find if you go direct to the Spark website, so doing a comparison yourself would probably put you on their more expensive "Standard" tariff. When I went through the link I got straight to the correct tariff, so I'd suggest you try that yourself.
  • Methusela
    Methusela Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2013 at 11:35PM
    When I recently moved home the new letting agents had switched the utilities to Spark Energy. Not knowing them, I Googled the name and was horrified to find a lot of negative comments. I asked the agent to change back to British Gas but they said they couldn’t, so I was stuck with Spark, like it or not. I decided to give Spark the benefit of the doubt and see how it worked out. Maybe others had just been unlucky in their dealings with Spark.

Spark offer three different tariffs; the most expensive where bills are paid quarterly in arrears; the second and cheaper, where payment is taken monthly by direct debit; the third and cheapest where one month’s advance payment is taken as well as the monthly direct debits. The difference between the highest and lowest tariff is quite staggering. The dearest tariff is almost DOUBLE the cost of the cheapest.

I phoned and asked to be put straight onto the advance pay tariff. So far, so good. The customer service rep was very helpful & friendly and set it all up. I started to feel better, although sorry for anyone who just moved into a Spark supplied property without knowing about the different tariffs. They would sit & wait for a bill, only to be hit with one almost double what I would be paying for the same units used. Lucky, clever me, sad unlucky them!!

But forewarned is forearmed so, not trusting Spark to get things right, I logged onto my account a few weeks later (I never before saw a website that takes 15 minutes to load every single page but, hey ho, just keep on trying!!). I was horrified to find myself on their Standard tariff. WHAT ??? I phoned customer services again and was told that I had been taken off the Advance pay tariff because although I had arranged to pay monthly, my direct debit had been cancelled three days after my supply commenced. “It was NOT cancelled by me” I said.

The rep. went off to speak to someone else and came back to apologise. There had been a problem with their system and my direct debit arrangement had not gone through to their direct debit department when it should have. I pointed out that they had sent me a letter confirming I was paying by direct debit and listing the dates payments would be taken and the amounts. “Ah, that letter was sent from a different department” said the rep. What?? How many different departments do Spark need to deal with direct debits?

I am still giving Spark the benefit of the doubt but my experience to date is not looking too good. What worries me is the question of whether I should believe:-

1. That Spark are trying very hard to get things right and genuinely made a mistake in setting up my direct debit.
    2. Or that Spark can charge a lot more for their gas and electricity if they conveniently “lose” a customer’s direct debit details, provided the customer does not realise it has happened. It is actually in their interests to make this mistake.

It is interesting to note that Martin's Energy Club is indicating Spark as the cheapest supplier on the basis of their advance payment tariff. I wonder how many people who switch might end up on one of the more expensive tariffs, in which case Spark will not be cheapest. Anyone out there had this experience? Do you really know what tariff you have been put on, as opposed to what you were promised? Might be worth while checking now.

Time will tell. Watch this space for further feedback from a (so far) unbiased customer
  • Jake07
    Jake07 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Update on my case: At the moment I am challenging both Spark as well as Reeds Rains for putting my name on the account without my consent. I believe I have a case in the fact that my tenency contarct was from Jan 2012 to Sept 2012 and Spark charged me until Dec 2012. I have solid proof I moved out in Sept (as per contract) and at that time the agency should have told Spark to to me the final bill. I am trying to get a new bill from Jan to Sept - it would cut it by a third.

I recently also had an incorrectly charged bill from EDF, fought my case for 2 months and not only did they conceded but turned out they owed me 30 quid, so I feel slightly encouraged to continue to fight Spark.
  • My experience with this company led me to request help from the Ombudsman for energy supplies.

It took SIX months to effect a changeover from this company.

Jonah68
  • Jake07
    Jake07 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Jonah68 wrote: »
    My experience with this company led me to request help from the Ombudsman for energy supplies.

It took SIX months to effect a changeover from this company.

Jonah68

Thanks Jonah.Yeah, I'm considering that option as well if they don't budge. I also want to say you have the option of getting your MP involved. That will always give them motivation to get it together.
  • Just so as you know. If you are a tenant responsible for paying the bills, the landlord or agent must tell you which company is supplying the energy. They may even have an agreement with that company and may be part of the tenancy agreement, but they cannot compel you to stay with that company. There may be penalties though, so check that out first.

This came up in Guardian Money this week and involves Spark - Spark Energy not so bright over electricity bill - guardian.co.uk/money/2013/apr/08/spark-energy-electricity-bill

(Sorry, newbie at posting so can't post a proper link)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2013 at 4:46PM
    Dr_Madvibe wrote: »
    Just so as you know. If you are a tenant responsible for paying the bills, the landlord or agent must tell you which company is supplying the energy. They may even have an agreement with that company and may be part of the tenancy agreement, but they cannot compel you to stay with that company. There may be penalties though, so check that out first.

This came up in Guardian Money this week and involves Spark - Spark Energy not so bright over electricity bill - guardian.co.uk/money/2013/apr/08/spark-energy-electricity-bill

(Sorry, newbie at posting so can't post a proper link)

That's not quite what the article says, because if it did it would be incorrect.
    This is what it actually says:
    Energy regulator Ofgem says: "Landlords maintain the right to choose the energy supplier only when they are directly responsible for paying for the gas or electricity. Tenants should be made aware by landlords and letting agents of any tie-ins with specific suppliers and should receive appropriate details at the outset of applicable tariffs and charging details.

"If the tenant is directly responsible for paying the gas and/or electricity bills, they have the right to choose their own energy supplier and the landlord or letting agent should not unreasonably prevent this. Landlords or letting agents should not sign up tenants with preferred suppliers without the tenants' full knowledge of, or agreement to, such arrangements."

;)

Edit: Nice to see Spark energy wrote all the customers bill in full due to their error which created an oversized bill (£22.5k in 6 months), and sent them a £50 goodwill payment too :)
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2013 at 5:20PM
    Ridiculous that Spark hasn't got systems in place to flag up ridiculous bill amounts like this before they get sent out TBH. It would certainly be in their interests to avoid negative publicity like this. Like the article states, the charge would be equivalent to:
    using 21 three-kilowatt electric fires all day long every day – which would have burnt out your wiring and could have caused your flat to burn down.

:eek:

Plus that sort of usage (if genuine) would surely scream cannabis farm! :p
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2013 at 5:31PM
    Ridiculous that Spark hasn't got systems in place to flag up ridiculous bill amounts like this before they get sent out TBH. It would certainly be in their interests to avoid negative publicity like this. Like the article states, the charge would be equivalent to:

:eek:

Plus that sort of usage (if genuine) would surely scream cannabis farm! :p

If you read the article carefully, they have got procedures in place.

And there is no such thing as bad publicity. ;)
    (especially when it then gets advertised this this)

What makes me laugh is that someone gets stressed out and goes to the press instead of contacting the supplier when the bill is obviously incorrect
  • Wywth wrote: »
    If you read the article carefully, they have got procedures in place.

And there is no such thing as bad publicity. ;)
    (especially when it then gets advertised this this)

What makes me laugh is that someone gets stressed out and goes to the press instead of contacting the supplier when the bill is obviously incorrect

Whatever silly spin you wish to put on this, the fact is a ridiculous bill got sent out that has caused the company embarrassment so even if they HAVE got procedures in place they didn't work. :p

PS So there's no such thing as bad publicity, eh? Ask Gerald Ratner if he agrees. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure