Student Loan 2015 Discussion

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    am81 wrote: »
    Is capital ( for those graduates who have some) takeninto consideration when calculating loan repayment.
    Could a person with little income but a lot of capital escape repaying?

Interest on capital is taken into consideration but not the capital itself.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Interest on capital is taken into consideration but not the capital itself.

ISAs are your friend. Use your ISAs!

Hmmm, does dividend income and capital gains count towards the £21k?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    ISAs are your friend. Use your ISAs!

Hmmm, does dividend income and capital gains count towards the £21k?
    Unearned income

If you have unearned income of more than £2,000 a year, for example interest on stocks, shares or savings, you may have to make additional student loan repayments.

HM Revenue & Customs will advise you if you need to make any payments directly to them in respect of student loans once they have assessed any Self Assessment tax return you submit to them.

• My daughter is currently in her second year of an English Language degree and is planning to then study for her PGCE in primary education. She has the full loan now under the current system, and will need the full loan for her PGCE but that will be under the new system. How will this affect her repayments, presuming she will be earning over £21,000 as a new teacher?
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Martin Lewis was on the Daily Politics show today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15723174

His main point is to think of the loans as a tax.
  • Hi! I have a very important question which will affect whether I will apply to go to university in the UK or not...

I am an EU (EEA) student and have considered attending a university in England. However, I need to know whether I can apply to get a tuition fee loan and 'benefit' from this for the duration of my undergraduate degree (full time).

So can I apply for the student tuition loan as a EU resident (never lived in the UK and don't have parents family from there either) or not?

If you have any information about this, please let me know asap!

Thanks! :)
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    ch3 wrote: »
    I am an EU (EEA) student and have considered attending a university in England. However, I need to know whether I can apply to get a tuition fee loan and 'benefit' from this for the duration of my undergraduate degree (full time).

You should find all the answers you want here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/index.htm

You should be entitled to a tuition fee loan.
  • Thank you!! I'll look more into it! :)
  • I can not understand how anyone would accept these terms. It's like the blind leading the blind, the debt could become open ended.

RPI could really rip in this country with QE levels so high, and the student debt would be a disaster. Martin Lewis should be encouraging students to rebel and block this corrupt system where Scottish Students, who's parents pay into the exact same tax system to others in the UK get off "Scot Free" if you'll excuse the pun.

No I'm sorry this whole guide is a leader to let people wander into a minefield of debt.
  • I've read the Guide but I'm not clear on what happens if I study abroad for one year or a semester as part of my course. The English uni I'm looking to apply to offers the chance to study abroad for a semester or a whole year - I don't think this is part of the Erasmus scheme as I can choose to study in countries outside the EU. Would I still be able to get a tuition fee loan to cover me for that period of study abroad?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback