Buying Used car advice

mutley74
mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi
I am planning to replace my car with a used one (one year old, low mileage Nissan).

I have selected the model and last week agreed a fee (with part x) with main dealer with £100 deposit. They have ordered the car for me to view this week. I am told if not happy I get my deposit back.

What sort of things do I need to check and watch out for on a used car?

Dealer tells me it was Nissan owned, but I found out it was owned by an Leasing company, should this make a difference?

I will be buying the car on finance (as the dealer has offered me a better deal though some Nissan incentives) although plan to pay this back in full within a month. The dealer told me I need to make min 3 monthly payments, however, finance company said it can be repaid anytime. I presume this may affect dealer commission - is this something I need to watch out for? Can they claw back charges from me?

Test Drives - I have taken other cars of same spec out on test drives, but not this actual car which I have reserved. How long should a test drive be? Is the first service stamp (at this dealer) sufficient or shall I ask for the service summary print out?

Is it worth asking if they can say discount the deal by an extra £100 (as other dealers started to try offer me matching deals this week).

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You've already agreed a contract to purchase for £X, and paid a deposit to confirm that contract. So they're not going to take kindly to you trying to renegotiate the price now.
    Have you checked the terms that you signed for-paying a deposit normally commits you to purchase-it's not an 'option to purchase'?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mutley74
    edited 20 April 2017 at 1:05PM
    macman wrote: »
    You've already agreed a contract to purchase for £X, and paid a deposit to confirm that contract. So they're not going to take kindly to you trying to renegotiate the price now.
    Have you checked the terms that you signed for-paying a deposit normally commits you to purchase-it's not an 'option to purchase'?
    it was deposit to secure the car, with option to cancel & refund subject to viewing/test drive.

Car first ownership is not an issue - resolved.
    Now my insurer wants a hefty premium for registered keeper being the Finance company (vs if I was full owner/keeper - cost to change was minimal)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is it usual for the finance company to be the registered keeper nowadays?

Watch this, as they might try and charge an "admin fee" for dealing with any correspondence, they probably settle any parking tickets as a matter of course, and then bill you (+ admin fee) when you might have disputed them and won, and you won't get any tax reminders.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • mutley74
    facade wrote: »

Watch this, as they might try and charge an "admin fee" for dealing with any correspondence, they probably settle any parking tickets as a matter of course, and then bill you (+ admin fee) when you might have disputed them and won, and you won't get any tax reminders.

Im expecting to pay off the Finance balance about a month after purchase, just after the Manufacturer incentives thrown for taking it out (offer is to good to miss).
    Yes Finance company become the reg. keeper but when I pay off the loan update documents for me (no admin fee from Nissan RCI Finance).
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »

Yes, normal for the finance company to be the registered owner and keeper.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Yes, normal for the finance company to be the registered owner and keeper.
    There is no register of vehicle ownership in the UK, just of keepers.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure