The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan

Comments

• northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,146
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ncvireland wrote: »
    SFAIK this item does not purify air in any way. I base this on the fact that there are no filters fitted. It circulates the ambient air in which it operates.

The Dyson Pure does have a HEPA filter in the base. All Dyson products are overpriced though, in my opinion.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Michaela76 wrote: »
    I think you are all missing the point when it comes to efficiency

A fan heater can never be 100% efficient

It has moving parts which by definition require energy to make it move

It is a fan so it will make noise - more energy losses

So basically it cant be 100% efficient in terms of heating because you are already using some of the energy to run the fan - energy to overcome the electrical resistance of the cables
    and energy losses in sound and light

Einstein would not agree with your definition!
    The fact is all direct-acting heaters are 100% efficient at point of use. If your heater uses 1kWh of electricity, 1kW of heat will be transferred into the room for one hour. As The Law of Conservation of Energy dictates:

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only change from one form to another’.

Where do you think the energy to rotate the fan, and produce the noise and light and the movement of air goes - if not converted to heat?

If you put a huge powerful and noisy fan(without any heating element) consuming, say, 1kW in a room, using your definition that 1kW would all be lost.

Same exercise with a 1kW searchlight in a room - what happens?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are Dyson heaters for use in the house as loud as the hand dryers in motorway service areas?

A couple of weeks ago I asked the toilet attendant if he had thought about wearing ear defenders. He didn't understand, as he couldn't hear me properly.
  • evildude
    evildude Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 3 March 2017 at 8:59AM
    Hey guys. So first off it doesn't matter how strong your conviction, I have had a huge number of different heaters by different brands over the last 8 years and the Dyson AM05 is without a doubt the strongest, hottest, coldest and most efficient fan / heater I may ever own and I thoroughly recommend this product, but someone will always tell you to buy cheap. (£10 fan heaters cause fires, Dog hair or a bit of debris inside it and boom I've literally seen them catch fire)

If you want to go cut price but get longevity and efficiency on a similar scale you would be best off buying a £55 Stanley hot and cold from Screwfix.

Lastly I have a story that money savers will love.
    I wanted a Dyson, they were too expensive, I took a punt and won one on ebay for £120 second hand. Looked grim in the pictures, when I got it I plugged it in and it went BANG and that was it. Messaged the seller, he claimed it must have been damaged in transit and he would get his refund from parcel force then he refunded me fully... in 5 minutes.
    So I'm left with this broken Dyson AM04, Wondering if I can fix it, I do an hour of research and came across a story (in the Daily Mail of all places) that said something like 'Dyson AM04 fans built between August 2010 and December 2010 have burnt down 3 houses and are being recalled'
    I phoned Dyson, Obviously the old owner never registered his product (nobody does!) Gave them the serial number and they were happy to send me a brand new AM05 upgrade with a 2 year warranty and take the old one.

So there you go, The universe gave me a free Dyson.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 March 2017 at 10:43AM
    ValHaller wrote: »
    What happens to that light when it hits anything other than a perfect mirror?

Some of the light escapes out of the window.

You want a heater to heat the air, not the non reflective surfaces of your room. If the energy ends up in a place that you can't immediately use it then it will get wasted.

Wrapping up is more effective as you don't need to warm all the air & have the heat escape through the roof, walls & windows.
  • northwalesd
    Forumite
    evildude wrote: »
    (£10 fan heaters cause fires, Dog hair or a bit of debris inside it and boom I've literally seen them catch fire)
    that said something like 'Dyson AM04 fans built between August 2010 and December 2010 have burnt down 3 houses and are being recalled'

I'd rather pay £10 for an appliance to burn down my house than £400 (or whatever a Dyson costs) :D

Thankfully when my DC01 vacuum cleaner burst into flames it didn't burn down my house.

I do admit their service is very good though...
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    phillw wrote: »
    Some of the light escapes out of the window.

You want a heater to heat the air, not the non reflective surfaces of your room. If the energy ends up in a place that you can't immediately use it then it will get wasted.

Wrapping up is more effective as you don't need to warm all the air & have the heat escape through the roof, walls & windows.

Unless the window is more opaque to Infra red EM radiation than Visible, that makes no difference. The warm air in the room also heats the non-reflective surfaces. Infinitesimally less so when they have been warmed by the tiny amount of energy from the glow of the heating element and the vibrations in the air from the fan noise.

One electric heater is just as efficient at heating a given enclosed space than another.

Yes, heating a smaller space (i.e. the immediate space you occupy) by wrapping up is more efficient, but that's comparing apples and oranges.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • evildude
    evildude Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:06AM
    So I immediately thought I should post this here.

My free Dyson AM05 developed a bit of a hairy fault. Got clogged with dog hair and although it works fine on cold, on hot it gives an error message after 5 minutes.
    I rung Dyson to flex my warranty expecting a recondition. And it turns out They are recalling all AM04 and AM05 still in warranty and giving you a free AM09 worth £400.
    Just tell them it has the E8 message and when you hoover it out, it still persists. They don't even check it, a courier trades you the new one on your doorstep.
    Hope you did buy one in the end OP, give them a call!
  • northwalesd
    Forumite
    evildude wrote: »
    And it turns out They are recalling all AM04 and AM05 still in warranty and giving you a free AM09 worth £400.

Based on that alone I'd never entertain one!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:41PM
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Nonsense. Electrical elements emit light, have you never looked inside an electric oven?

Clearly not as some of the energy is emitted as light.

No, your statement violates the law because you are saying that something that emits light is somehow also emitting all the energy it consumes as heat.
    Yes that what I am saying!

I tend to agree with Einstein in these matters but clearly, according to you, his theory is nonsense.

Put a 1kW searchlight in a room(so no light can escape) and the room will get equally as warm as using a 1kW device of any kind - including a heater. If that was not the case what happens to the energy?

No point in continuing this discussion; you 'know' you are correct!

Edit.
    DragonQ has deleted his post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family