Gel Nails - How to Remove?

Hello
Wondering if anyone can help me. I have had gel nails for the past 4 months in a bid to stop biting my natural nails and I think I'm ready to have them removed now. Is there a way that I can remove them myself, disolve them off? That would save me £20.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• buy acetone from the salon you had your nails done oh or boots do it to,
    soak enough cotton wool to cover top of your finger and nail and wrap with (i use cling film first to secure it ) then tin foil & wait till soaked off.
    tip:do not be tempted to pick off you can actually 'lift' the nail off the nail bed, or weaken it.
    if you pick gel / acrylic of your nail you will actually also be removing about 2 layers of your nail plate
    hope this helps
    :j:j:j Wooooo Hooooo :j:j:j
  • cotsvale
    cotsvale Posts: 397
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thank you freejunkie- how long does it take?
  • depends on how thick the technician has applied the gel.
    any thing from half an hour upwards
    tip roughen the whole gel nail with the roughest side of a file (helps acetone soaks in gel) before applying acetone. ( can also do this after 1/2 hour of soaking if gel is still firmly on the nail then reapply cotton wool etc, *please be careful not to rub off your own nails*)
    also acetone at room temp helps,
    :j:j:j Wooooo Hooooo :j:j:j
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have gel nails and would suggest that removing your own might not be the best moneysaving tip ever. Please go to the salon and let your technician remove them for you. The last thing you need is to damage your own nails when removing your gel ones as they'll take an age to recover. You could find that your own nails are very soft until they have time to grow back from under the gel tip.

Get some OPI nail envy to paint on in the weeks following removal because that will certainly help. You can pick it up for a reasonable price on ebay. The Nail Geek forum has many helpful hints and tips from technicians too.

Good luck.
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • There are several types of nail enhancements, if you are a complete beginner and willing to learn how to apply different kinds of gel nails then, Even though glues provide an easy solution to repair broken and chipped nails, excessive use of nail glue can harm your nails. It is advised to keep the use of nail glues restricted to times when it is really necessary.
  • I just want to share some stuff of nail gel brush, We can use nail gel brush for nail art, including that can use it to mix the acrylic liquid and crystal powder and due to this nothing harm will happen to us.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,567
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The quickest way and the way many salons do it is to pour enough acetone in a bowl to cover the nails once the fingers are placed in the bowl. Let them soak in acetone for at least 15 minutes and they should be soft enough to peel off. If not peel off what is easy then dunk them some more!
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,830
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are these gel nails as in overlays, not acrylic? If so, the best way is to file off. .

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • Hi, i have gel nails (5 layers of gel) and nail tips. how do i remove the gel but not the tip? i have read that soaking gel nails in acetone won't remove the gel. is that true? and if it does remove it won't it also remove my tips?
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    nicoletuda wrote: »
    Hi, i have gel nails (5 layers of gel) and nail tips. how do i remove the gel but not the tip? i have read that soaking gel nails in acetone won't remove the gel. is that true? and if it does remove it won't it also remove my tips?
    didn't mean to thank you :p

If it's a buff-off gel, then it will have to be removed with a file. This shouldn't be attempted yourself as it's very easy to remove layers of the natural nail :eek:

If it's a soak-off gel, then the best way to do it at home is to saturate some cotton balls/pads with acetone, place them onto your fingers and cover with tin foil. The heat kept in from the tin-foil will help the acetone work quicker.

If you soak the nails off, you will remove the tips.

Can I ask why you want to keep the tips on? It is the overlay (whether it be gel or liquid and powder) that gives the nail it's strength. The tip won't stay on for long itself :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure